Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Originally posted by Atl49er:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Damn it!!! Now we may have to move up to get Cam! IDK why all these people on here are hating on Cam, as Trent Dilfer just reported, there aren't many people in the World that can throw the ball like Cam did today!

who the f**k cares how you throw a football. f**k my cousin can chuck it with a beautiful spiral 60 yards with ease, he can't play worht a lick. Dude Kyle boller from a knee at the 50 yard line perfect spiral through the goal posts, jamarcus russell easily throws a 70 yarder money. they all suck. f**k Trent Dilfer wtf does he know?

Oh Great..You're prob a guy that is dieing for us to keep Alex Smith...to huh?!?! LOL!

My bad, I forgot you played in the NFL and worked for ESPN longer than Trent Dilfer..that makes you an expert..right! Get a clue...everybody is harping on us to take a db, or a pash rusher...HELLO, we have one QB under contract and JH has already stated that QB is the most important position on the field.

I can't wait until we take Cam and listen to Trent and JH gush over his talents!!

seriously? lol. one not high on alex smith but i'd have him as a BACKUP, and that's it. that makes the most sense. We can get a Vet QB in FA and draft a qb in the later rounds.
sorry but trent dilfer's mouth piece and history speaks loudly for himself. He was in awe of Jimmy Clausen, He said he was hands down the best QB in that draft being pro ready and able to come in and start right away. How did that work out for him? Colt McCoy had by far the better yr. Siad the same thing about Josh Freeman and ALEX SMITH!!!!!!!

Dude you need to get a clue. no need to wet the paper and draft a QB with our first pick. there are other qb's who have a btter football iq (reading coverages, plays etc) so why spend that first pick on a qb. Newton is not a franchise QB or he goes #1 to Carolina. Fact.

We need help on Defense, and sorry but the CB's & OLB/DE's that are projected to be around will and would help us out asap. not a rookie qb to come in and learn a new system as well as the nfl. come on man.

So hello yes we have only 1 qb under contract so why are qwe wetting the bed. we resign one of the smith's as a backup, hit the trade market or free agency.

Josh Johnson comes to mind. he didn't do to bad 2 years ago. he's a harbaugh guy.

No offense Dude...but thank God you are not the GM for this team! Are you not tired of being stuck in mediocrity..excuse me...SUCKING?!?!? Alex Smith never needs to wear SF on his helmet again #1... back up or not. And your idea to draft another back-up (Josh J or a 3rd round Qb) for our team does not help either!

I'm not basing my opinion of Cam on Trent Dilfer..just merely stating that he was blown away by his film study of Cam and first hand witness of the workout. What impresses me about Cam more than anything else...is the fact I've watched him all year long and he is a born leader that makes everyone around him better!

How many players can say that they have won a Championship at EVERY LEVEL they have competed....high school, Jr. College and D-1 College!?! Can you name another one...?

Say what you want, try and compare him to all the other athletic Qb's with big arms..but the truth of the matter is..there is no comparison!

How many qb's that win a high school championship even have to go to jr. college?

BOOM.

You wouldnt know what a good QB looks like. You have Stanzis UDFA ass as your top QB. Name a QB in this class better than Newton and why. Newton didnt choke vs Oregon like Luck. Luck choked and cost Stanford the game throwing 2 picks to get Oregon back into thegame. Which they ended up blowing out Stanford. Newton didnt let that happen and had a much better game than Luck vs Oregon. In fact Luck wishes he had Newtons poise cause then Stanford would have went to the National Championship if he didnt choke s Oregon.

So . . . . if Luck came out this year you would prefer Newton over Luck?

I would definately. Imo you dont pass on guys with Newtons poise and leadership. I also saw alot more of Newton and only saw Luck play twice. USC and Oregon so im probably biased on that alone. I think both are awesome prospects but my choice would still be Newton. He escaped Oregons defense with a win and kept his defense off the field securing the National Championship. This whole season he showed off amazing things from blowing out great teams to coming back against great teams. Id take him at 7 over anyone. Even over my man crush Peterson.

was his poise in the national championship when he was overthrowing wide open WR's or fumbling the ball away to oregon? or was it when he handed off for that fluke gigantic run near the end?

He was off on those 2 throws by maybe a foot or 2. Newton also had another bad pass picked early too. So what? He recovered from that and Mathews made a great play in popping the ball out while Newton was scrambling. Great play by Mathews whos imo gonna be a good NFL player. Why dont you mention how Newton kept drives going giving his gassed DL time breath and get oxygen. Or didnt you see them gasping for air in the 1st qtr? How did you like him moving that offense vs a top ranked defense all game? How did you like him keeping cool under extreme pressure despite getting hit all game?

lol if you think those were his only 2 "bad" throws in that game then i have to question if you watched the game.

Outside the 1st qtr yeah pretty much imo.

and the extent of newtons play is this: make 1 read, if it isn't open then take off. guess what? in the NFL, ends are as fast as linebackers, linebackers are as fast as CB's, and CB's are on another level. not only that, but he isn't playing against undisciplined kids in the NFL. he is playing against grown men who have been doing this for years. he is playing against defensive schemes by professionals with the talent to exploit things.

You dont have the kind of success he had last year if he was only 1 read n go. To say or think so after watching him is silly. Since you obviously dont know, college defenses will stop that s**t real quick. The coaches in college are as professional as any NFL coach. The defenses they run are just as disiplined as well. Youre showing ur ass with that opinion.

newton has some physical skills, but so does every player in the nfl. even the 53rd guy on your roster has or had (at one time) some great potential or elite skill. the odds of making it to the nfl are insanely slim, so the guys there are the best of the best. newton will not be able to rely on his physical skills in the NFL alone.

No he wont so you hope he can digest a playbook and execute the plays. Hes proven to be able to do that. While showing off great leadership,poise and rare athletic ability. On a team with a solid coaching staff you take him. Alot of people said Young was 1 read n go too. How did that work out again?

does he have the desire and will to be a truly great QB? i don't know. but based on what we know about him (a cheater at florida, cloud of controversey around him with his dad getting paid but him supposedly not knowing) i wouldn't be willing to bet a top 10 pick on it.

So based on rumors and little fact you take away what he does on the field? Id bet after the combine and interviews you will change your bet. This is a good kid with rare potential for any team.

what are the rumors? there are no rumors. these things are true. he transfered from florida to auburn because he got caught cheating on multiple tests and was going to be expelled. he was also in legal trouble for stealing someones laptop and throwing it down a flight of stairs. he was trying to get paid by multiple schools. or his father was, if you are naive enough to believe cam newton had no knowledge of that.

bottom line is where there's smoke there's fire. nothing we know about him shows that he is a "good kid". he and mallett both appear to be dirtbags and i wouldn't want either one with the #7 pick. jamarcus russell had the same basic skillset as cam newton and look where he is now.

besides, although we need a qb we also have a lot of other needs. i'd rather take my chances on von miller, quinn, peterson or prince before newton or any other qb in this draft.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:
ProFootballTalk

Mayock on Cam Newton workout: "The best Pro Day for a quarterback I ever attended was JaMarcus Russell" http://wp.me/p14QSB-sO6

I like this question

“Is he going to be the first guy in the building? Is he a gym rat? Is he football smart?”

and it obviously applies to all qbs

Manning is a video rat. Tebow claimed he would be the first guy in the building. Brady, Brees are football smart. A player needs to have passion for the game to be all those 3 things. I think the top qbs in the league (manning, brady, brees, rivers, rodgers) all have tremendous passion for the game. So Harbaugh, please get us someone that gives a f**k about football, k thanks

In that regard, how can anyone question what Cam is doing? I'm not a big Newton fan, but he is obviously putting in as much work as possible to be ready for the NFL. You have to like that.

Granted, part of it is improving his draft status, but that's semi-assured. He's going to be a a first rounder, probably in the top 20 at worst, likely top 10-15 or better.

And he's making a point of showing that he's working hard to address whatever concerns exist.

Is it possible it's all short term effort for draft status? Possibly. But more than likely, it shows a willingness to work hard to get better.

I'm not even saying I want him on our team, but given his winning record and deliberate efforts to continue to improve, it's hard not to think he's at least trying his best to be ready for NFL success.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Quote:
ProFootballTalk

Mayock on Cam Newton workout: "The best Pro Day for a quarterback I ever attended was JaMarcus Russell" http://wp.me/p14QSB-sO6

I like this question

“Is he going to be the first guy in the building? Is he a gym rat? Is he football smart?”

and it obviously applies to all qbs

Manning is a video rat. Tebow claimed he would be the first guy in the building. Brady, Brees are football smart. A player needs to have passion for the game to be all those 3 things. I think the top qbs in the league (manning, brady, brees, rivers, rodgers) all have tremendous passion for the game. So Harbaugh, please get us someone that gives a f**k about football, k thanks

In that regard, how can anyone question what Cam is doing? I'm not a big Newton fan, but he is obviously putting in as much work as possible to be ready for the NFL. You have to like that.

Granted, part of it is improving his draft status, but that's semi-assured. He's going to be a a first rounder, probably in the top 20 at worst, likely top 10-15 or better.

And he's making a point of showing that he's working hard to address whatever concerns exist.

Is it possible it's all short term effort for draft status? Possibly. But more than likely, it shows a willingness to work hard to get better.

I'm not even saying I want him on our team, but given his winning record and deliberate efforts to continue to improve, it's hard not to think he's at least trying his best to be ready for NFL success.

This x 100000000000

I'm not even a Cam Newton fan, but I'm startin' to like the guy. A majority of highly rated QBs don't even workout at combine - and to do this - with combine coming up soon, only shows me the confidence he has in his abilities.

He handles himself like a QB - and that is something I respect about Cam Newton.
On third downs it would be very hard to get Cam off the field with the threat of a fast 250 lb QB.

Think Big Ben with much bigger wheels.

His legs will open up things for him in the passing game when defenders start defending him not the WRs.
Everybody underestimates how intelligent you have to be to play QB.

My evidence that he will be a bust is every press conference/interview I've ever seen him.
I dont want to piss anyone off but that video is kind of f**king stupid. I mean he's not really doing anything, he's doing some footwork drills and play fakes to show off to the media. Every NFL prospect should be able to do that stuff. What would be impressive is if he learned the basics of an NFL offense and broke down how you would beat a defense with those plays or whatever, basically what I'm trying to say is if he looked at NFL film with people and broke it down. Because at the end of the day, the speed or arm of your QB doesn't matter a whole lot. What matters, especially for a team like ours and the WCO, is if the ball is coming out on time and going to the correct read. Then accuracy also. The rest of this s**t is nice, the physical stuff, because that's easiest to judge. But it doesn't make a good QB. Otherwise Joe Montana would be a worse QB than Jamarcus Russel.
Originally posted by aman49:

My evidence that he will be a bust is every press conference/interview I've ever seen him.

You think cause he's black he isn't smart enough to play qb... Vick had a wonderlic of 14... I'm not saying we draft the kid, but i don't think he's as dumb as russel or vick! Cause i want prince or peterson!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by aman49:

You think cause he's black he isn't smart enough to play qb... Vick had a wonderlic of 14... I'm not saying we draft the kid, but i don't think he's as dumb as russel or vick! Cause i want prince or peterson!

We drafted Alex Smith...real smart kid. That turned out great, didn't it. All what matters is, when it comes to mental aspect of it - if you are football intelligent or not, how quickly you can react on the field, you are willing to learn and how fast you can learn - which is what the workout today was about. It was to show that just a month after national title game, Cam Newton has quickly adapted taking snaps from the center, doing 3 steps, 5 steps, and 7 steps drop without any issues. He didn't do any of those things in college.

This is all what this workout was about - that he can learn and he can learn real fast, and he is willing to work for it. Learning footwork is not just physical, a lot of it is mental.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
This deserves it's own thread...this is unprecedented (at least I don't remember a high profile player having a media workout couple of weeks before combine) and a lot of people don't go into Official Cam Newton thread.

Per PFT:

We’re told that the 45-minute session will happen at 1:00 p.m. ET at Cathedral Catholic High School in San Diego. Per the media invitation circulated in connection with this event, the workout is intended to “provide a snapshot of Cam’s daily training regimen and routine as he prepares for his NFL career.”

Newton then will be “briefly available” to answer “some questions” from the media.

link

Cathedral Catholic is always one of the best San Diego High School teams. And they have a pretty nice facility too for a High School.

As for the workout I saw a real athletic guy. Which you would expect. But I'm not sure there is anything earth shattering there. It's some snaps from center, some drop backs and scripted throws.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Damn it!!! Now we may have to move up to get Cam! IDK why all these people on here are hating on Cam, as Trent Dilfer just reported, there aren't many people in the World that can throw the ball like Cam did today!

who the f**k cares how you throw a football. f**k my cousin can chuck it with a beautiful spiral 60 yards with ease, he can't play worht a lick. Dude Kyle boller from a knee at the 50 yard line perfect spiral through the goal posts, jamarcus russell easily throws a 70 yarder money. they all suck. f**k Trent Dilfer wtf does he know?

Oh Great..You're prob a guy that is dieing for us to keep Alex Smith...to huh?!?! LOL!

My bad, I forgot you played in the NFL and worked for ESPN longer than Trent Dilfer..that makes you an expert..right! Get a clue...everybody is harping on us to take a db, or a pash rusher...HELLO, we have one QB under contract and JH has already stated that QB is the most important position on the field.

I can't wait until we take Cam and listen to Trent and JH gush over his talents!!

seriously? lol. one not high on alex smith but i'd have him as a BACKUP, and that's it. that makes the most sense. We can get a Vet QB in FA and draft a qb in the later rounds.
sorry but trent dilfer's mouth piece and history speaks loudly for himself. He was in awe of Jimmy Clausen, He said he was hands down the best QB in that draft being pro ready and able to come in and start right away. How did that work out for him? Colt McCoy had by far the better yr. Siad the same thing about Josh Freeman and ALEX SMITH!!!!!!!

Dude you need to get a clue. no need to wet the paper and draft a QB with our first pick. there are other qb's who have a btter football iq (reading coverages, plays etc) so why spend that first pick on a qb. Newton is not a franchise QB or he goes #1 to Carolina. Fact.

We need help on Defense, and sorry but the CB's & OLB/DE's that are projected to be around will and would help us out asap. not a rookie qb to come in and learn a new system as well as the nfl. come on man.

So hello yes we have only 1 qb under contract so why are qwe wetting the bed. we resign one of the smith's as a backup, hit the trade market or free agency.

Josh Johnson comes to mind. he didn't do to bad 2 years ago. he's a harbaugh guy.

No offense Dude...but thank God you are not the GM for this team! Are you not tired of being stuck in mediocrity..excuse me...SUCKING?!?!? Alex Smith never needs to wear SF on his helmet again #1... back up or not. And your idea to draft another back-up (Josh J or a 3rd round Qb) for our team does not help either!

I'm not basing my opinion of Cam on Trent Dilfer..just merely stating that he was blown away by his film study of Cam and first hand witness of the workout. What impresses me about Cam more than anything else...is the fact I've watched him all year long and he is a born leader that makes everyone around him better!

How many players can say that they have won a Championship at EVERY LEVEL they have competed....high school, Jr. College and D-1 College!?! Can you name another one...?

Say what you want, try and compare him to all the other athletic Qb's with big arms..but the truth of the matter is..there is no comparison!

it was no secret that anyone was to be blown away with his work out. what's wrong with 3rd round qb's? Joe Monatana? Deosn't matter if you draft a qb in the later rounds.
what's so bad about having alex smith as a backup? he's not our starter. why not give josh johnson a shot? hell bring him in to compete for the starting job not nessecarly be our starter.
all in all i'd rather trade for a vet qb or see whose aval in the fa pool.

plus auburn was pretty damn good the yr before newton came. he didn't make that defense better. it doesn't matter if he's won a championship at every level man. does that translate to the nfl? no.

It is really not even wort it to get into everything wrong with that comment (and its not just the spelling), but try checking out this tread:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=152136

lol spelling schmelling. i wouldn't go off of that tread/thread because that was in regards to 2nd round Qb's. Look at Brady, Cassell, Montana, Staubach, Hasselback (decent qb). come on man

Staubach was taken in later rounds because he had his Naval commitment. The QBs Brady Montana Staubach are exceptions. They were great. But then you lump in decent QBs in the same sentence with Cassell and Hasseback...fail.

QBs who become great are RARE....that cant be your argument here...oh wait it is.

If Brady was so great why did he get drafted in rd 6. If Montana was so great why rd 3 instead of rd 1? Not trying to compare hasselback and cassell to those guys all im trying to say is u can get a qb other than rd 1. Hell rd 2 would be fine. When u have the defensive talent that's available when we pick at 7 u shouldn't pass on it. If we get a new cba it makes stall easier. I truly believe we will get our starter through trade or fa. I doubt newton is Harbaugh's guy. Sorry if Peterson or miller is there It's one of them

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
This deserves it's own thread...this is unprecedented (at least I don't remember a high profile player having a media workout couple of weeks before combine) and a lot of people don't go into Official Cam Newton thread.

Per PFT:

We’re told that the 45-minute session will happen at 1:00 p.m. ET at Cathedral Catholic High School in San Diego. Per the media invitation circulated in connection with this event, the workout is intended to “provide a snapshot of Cam’s daily training regimen and routine as he prepares for his NFL career.”

Newton then will be “briefly available” to answer “some questions” from the media.

link

Cathedral Catholic is always one of the best San Diego High School teams. And they have a pretty nice facility too for a High School.

As for the workout I saw a real athletic guy. Which you would expect. But I'm not sure there is anything earth shattering there. It's some snaps from center, some drop backs and scripted throws.

That was one of the knocks on the guy - and to learn that in a month is somewhat impressive. His footwork was pretty good for someone who has done that at all in college.

I'm not sayin' draft the guy, but what he was showing today was that he is a quick learner and is workin' hard to improve as a player.
Late 1st round
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He threw alot of high passes, but other than that he looked real good. Top 10 pick.
what other players other than Cam and Russell have had a media only work out?
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I dont want to piss anyone off but that video is kind of f**king stupid. I mean he's not really doing anything, he's doing some footwork drills and play fakes to show off to the media. Every NFL prospect should be able to do that stuff. What would be impressive is if he learned the basics of an NFL offense and broke down how you would beat a defense with those plays or whatever, basically what I'm trying to say is if he looked at NFL film with people and broke it down. Because at the end of the day, the speed or arm of your QB doesn't matter a whole lot. What matters, especially for a team like ours and the WCO, is if the ball is coming out on time and going to the correct read. Then accuracy also. The rest of this s**t is nice, the physical stuff, because that's easiest to judge. But it doesn't make a good QB. Otherwise Joe Montana would be a worse QB than Jamarcus Russel.

I have read some stupid s**t in this forum (Cam over Luck for one) this is by far the most sane observation I have read.
Cam at worst will be a more accurate VY with better decision making off the field. At best he will be a Rothlesburger type, not beautiful mechanics but a football player. I don't really care as he will not be a 49er.
Share 49ersWebzone