There are 368 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

robert quinn vs von miller

robert quinn vs von miller

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I like that Miller added weight but 246 is still small... Most of the top OLB in the 3-4 are 260-265 or so. Very few that are below 250. Still even if Miller adds another 5 pounds he doesn't seem like that strong of a man to me. His frame doesn't say Merriman, Woodley, Harrison, Suggs, etc...

Exactly right. His frame isn't gonna allow for much more weight. He's gonna be a real big liability when teams run at him, and OTs that get their hands on him will stone his pass rush. Could he add enough bulk to anchor and power through blocks? Sure... it's possible, but doubtful... but you don't spend a top 10 pick on "possible, but doubtful"... not unless you're a solid team that can take that luxury.

he is strictly a pass rusher he wont be able to stop the run or be in coverage effectively all he would be able to do is get to the qb honestly that type of player doesnt sound like a top 10 pick to me but i still wouldnt mind taking him (unless we lose lawson) however i would much prefer quinn
both overrated in my opinion... none should be in the top 10..
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I like that Miller added weight but 246 is still small... Most of the top OLB in the 3-4 are 260-265 or so. Very few that are below 250. Still even if Miller adds another 5 pounds he doesn't seem like that strong of a man to me. His frame doesn't say Merriman, Woodley, Harrison, Suggs, etc...

Exactly right. His frame isn't gonna allow for much more weight. He's gonna be a real big liability when teams run at him, and OTs that get their hands on him will stone his pass rush. Could he add enough bulk to anchor and power through blocks? Sure... it's possible, but doubtful... but you don't spend a top 10 pick on "possible, but doubtful"... not unless you're a solid team that can take that luxury.

he is strictly a pass rusher he wont be able to stop the run or be in coverage effectively all he would be able to do is get to the qb honestly that type of player doesnt sound like a top 10 pick to me but i still wouldnt mind taking him (unless we lose lawson) however i would much prefer quinn

Agree with this!
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I like that Miller added weight but 246 is still small... Most of the top OLB in the 3-4 are 260-265 or so. Very few that are below 250. Still even if Miller adds another 5 pounds he doesn't seem like that strong of a man to me. His frame doesn't say Merriman, Woodley, Harrison, Suggs, etc...

Exactly right. His frame isn't gonna allow for much more weight. He's gonna be a real big liability when teams run at him, and OTs that get their hands on him will stone his pass rush. Could he add enough bulk to anchor and power through blocks? Sure... it's possible, but doubtful... but you don't spend a top 10 pick on "possible, but doubtful"... not unless you're a solid team that can take that luxury.

he is strictly a pass rusher he wont be able to stop the run or be in coverage effectively all he would be able to do is get to the qb honestly that type of player doesnt sound like a top 10 pick to me but i still wouldnt mind taking him (unless we lose lawson) however i would much prefer quinn

So between Lawson and Miller and about 50 million dollars we have the perfect 3 down OLB? I would agree, we want a 3 down player at 7. It's hard to justify 1 or 2 down guy that high. Don't get me wrong though there are plenty of things that scare me about Quinn as well. I think Green, Dareus, Peterson and Amukamara would be safer ways to go if available. I wouldn't mind getting an OLB in the 2nd... think there is better value. Like Wes Bunting said the more teams that go to a 3-4 the earlier you have to take these hybrid guys. Back when only a few teams where running the 3-4 you could find these hybrid guys later on. Now, with half the league running the 3-4 they are starting to go off the board in the top 5-10 already.
One thing that bugs me about Von Miller and Quinn is that I just really dont think that they are better than Ahmad Brooks..
Originally posted by 9moon:
One thing that bugs me about Von Miller and Quinn is that I just really dont think that they are better than Ahmad Brooks..

If Brooks could get it together he could be a 3 down player and a potential 10 sack guy. The guy was once thought of as a top 5 pick. He's took the long road with weight issues, off the field stuff, changing positions, etc. I don't know how to compare Quinn/Miller to Brooks but I do think those guys are some what boom or bust which I usually don't like to take. Especially early on... later rounds go for it, early on get a solid player that will help your team. You can afford to waste a 5, 6, 7th rounder more than the 5th, 6th, 7th pick.

I think we got a decent group with LaBoy, Lawson, Brooks, Haralason, Gibson but we need one guy who can do it all. We are a sacks by committee team which works but I'd like that 10-15 sack guy that gets pressure every game. Too often we got games with 6 sacks then the next 3 games we get 0.
Originally posted by 9moon:
One thing that bugs me about Von Miller and Quinn is that I just really dont think that they are better than Ahmad Brooks..

u should see quinn play he didnt play all of last year and is still consired a top 5 to 10 he was also 2nd place to suh as the best d linemen of the year and he was supposed to be in cometition for the 1st overall pick this year
Here is Quinn's interview at the Combine. I know that a lot of these interviews are rehearsed but this he certainly does NOT sound like a THUGG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7r_McC_gHo&feature=youtube_gdata
Originally posted by 9moon:
One thing that bugs me about Von Miller and Quinn is that I just really dont think that they are better than Ahmad Brooks..

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 9moon:
One thing that bugs me about Von Miller and Quinn is that I just really dont think that they are better than Ahmad Brooks..

u should see quinn play he didnt play all of last year and is still consired a top 5 to 10 he was also 2nd place to suh as the best d linemen of the year and he was supposed to be in cometition for the 1st overall pick this year

I have to admit I am kind of torn. Miller played 3-4 OLB in college and I like how he has that experience. We tried to convert college ends to OLB before and it hasn't worked for us. But Quinn does seem to have it all; speed, size and power.

Originally posted by amigoj49:
Here is Quinn's interview at the Combine. I know that a lot of these interviews are rehearsed but this he certainly does NOT sound like a THUGG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7r_McC_gHo&feature=youtube_gdata

Reading about Quinn would reaffirm this. He seems to be a decent guy who made a mistake, not a regular thug. The biggest ding on him will either his surgery or the year off.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by amigoj49:
Here is Quinn's interview at the Combine. I know that a lot of these interviews are rehearsed but this he certainly does NOT sound like a THUGG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7r_McC_gHo&feature=youtube_gdata

Reading about Quinn would reaffirm this. He seems to be a decent guy who made a mistake, not a regular thug. The biggest ding on him will either his surgery or the year off.

I hope that he does well at the combine.
I keep going back and forth on who I hope we draft, but right now, I'm kind of hoping Quinn is the pick. I think Quinn, Dareus and Miller would all be great additions to our front seven and I'd be pleased with any of them.

I feel that Quinn would probably have be the top defensive player in the draft if he played last season. I like him over Bowers and I think he'd be a great pick at #7.
I wouldn't be suprised if Quinn goes #1 overall. That would shake up a lot of mock drafts.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I wouldn't be suprised if Quinn goes #1 overall. That would shake up a lot of mock drafts.

It would be a big risk with so many good D players available, but it would definately send the mock makers scrambling wondering what they did wrong.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 27, 2011 at 10:52 AM ]
...