There are 50 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog49er Mid-January Mock Draft with Niners' Full Draft

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by tmpluff:
Hey MD, You have Dalton and Locker ahead of Ryan mallet? What would you classify as Mallets "flaws"? just curious, Also as of now what number of Qb would you give Stanzi? and where do you project him going? (sorry I'm a big Hawkeye fan, just wanted your opinion since history has shown you are usualy pretty darn accurate.)

My guess is he'll tell you that since Mallett is kind of big and slow and not as accurate on short passes he would not fit well in a WCO. Also guess he'll say his decision making isnt the greatest. Most of those are true IMO too.

You pretty much hit the key areas of concern. I love the arm.

You think there's any chance he slides to the 2nd round? My guess is Tennessee will take him at 8 since they have a good line and they need someone to throw the deep ball and Chris Johnson will have some running room. But if a team is turned off by his potential flaws is it possible he slips a lot? I remember a lot of people thought Clausen could go as high as 8, and then some teams didnt like him and he had that huge slide to the panthers. Same with Colt McCoy(and I was a huge fan of his in college, I really think he will be a good QB). And if he does slide to the 2nd round, would you ignore that he's not a perfect fit for us and take him anyway?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:
As always MD

AB and I ran a mock about a week ago and we have some very close similarities. DL going 1-3, QB at 4, and Peterson at 7. I do have a feeling that Cincy still goes Mallet at 4 though. I do hope we pass on ALL QB's at 7, this class is weak. Also I really would rather go after the best OLB, DL, or WR in the 2nd. The statistics on QB's succeeding that have been drafted in the 2nd is not very good. And any kid drafted in the first or second probably wont see the field anyways....would rather wait another round.

The Niners need to hit on their second rounder. Since 2005, they have only had three second rounders, in 2005, 2008 and 2010. The three selections: David Baas, Chilo Rachal, Taylor Mays. Not impressive.

How would you classify the bust potential for Peterson and Prince? Also out of the top 3 DL who do you see as the best for us..given we stay in the 3-4.

2nd round picks have been atrocious...who are a few guys you are looking at?
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,338
Why is Gabbert #1 in your opinion? He's never done much in college and he comes from one of the most gimmicky offenses in college football. He was absolutely horrible against Nebraska and doesn't have very impressive stats on the season.
Originally posted by Dino:
that would be an amazing draft for us
MD, i wanted to get your opinion on Christian Ponder. He seems to have fallenn off the earth as of late. He came in to his Sr year as one of the top QBs, was hurt and hurt again, thew for only 200+ yards 3 times, didnt play in the bowl game.... but he is athletic enough to run and make some moves in the pocket, has a high football IQ and is accurate. isnt that what your looking for in a WCO qb? his Injury history is what really concerns me the most.
Wow, MD! You really think that two QBs go top five? I always thought that this year QBs could be inflated more than normal, that's sayin' something. I often wondered if we could land Peterson. This certainly one way. I like a QB in the second, but I wonder just how good Delvin really is. I like my boy Stanzi in the third.

Havili or Marecic, I prefer the latter especially since he's already in tune with Harbaugh's offense. I think that Sua also fits as a viable third rounder. I like the CB/S they have as well. Bring the lot of them.

I would certainly be happy with this draft! Glad someone other than me see the viable possibility of landing Peterson.
First off I love the mock. I'm on the Dalton wagon as of now and have him in my mock in the 3rd. Taking him w/ a 2nd might be necessary post combine and pro day. Defiantly agree w/ CB at #7; just going to have to decide who we like best between Peterson and Prince. I also like taking a shot at a small school guy in the later rounds. Always value your posts. Thanks for the read!

I have my mock posted as well. If you get around to it let me know what you think.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=151611

Go Niners!
I like Dalton.

Another guy not getting any luv right now is Kellen Moore, he is another possibility.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by tmpluff:
Hey MD, You have Dalton and Locker ahead of Ryan mallet? What would you classify as Mallets "flaws"? just curious, Also as of now what number of Qb would you give Stanzi? and where do you project him going? (sorry I'm a big Hawkeye fan, just wanted your opinion since history has shown you are usualy pretty darn accurate.)

My guess is he'll tell you that since Mallett is kind of big and slow and not as accurate on short passes he would not fit well in a WCO. Also guess he'll say his decision making isnt the greatest. Most of those are true IMO too.

You pretty much hit the key areas of concern. I love the arm.

You think there's any chance he slides to the 2nd round? My guess is Tennessee will take him at 8 since they have a good line and they need someone to throw the deep ball and Chris Johnson will have some running room. But if a team is turned off by his potential flaws is it possible he slips a lot? I remember a lot of people thought Clausen could go as high as 8, and then some teams didnt like him and he had that huge slide to the panthers. Same with Colt McCoy(and I was a huge fan of his in college, I really think he will be a good QB). And if he does slide to the 2nd round, would you ignore that he's not a perfect fit for us and take him anyway?

I seriously doubt Mallett slips to the second round. Too many teams need QB help.
Originally posted by submoa:
I like Dalton.

Another guy not getting any luv right now is Kellen Moore, he is another possibility.

I believe he's staying around for another year.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:
As always MD

AB and I ran a mock about a week ago and we have some very close similarities. DL going 1-3, QB at 4, and Peterson at 7. I do have a feeling that Cincy still goes Mallet at 4 though. I do hope we pass on ALL QB's at 7, this class is weak. Also I really would rather go after the best OLB, DL, or WR in the 2nd. The statistics on QB's succeeding that have been drafted in the 2nd is not very good. And any kid drafted in the first or second probably wont see the field anyways....would rather wait another round.

The Niners need to hit on their second rounder. Since 2005, they have only had three second rounders, in 2005, 2008 and 2010. The three selections: David Baas, Chilo Rachal, Taylor Mays. Not impressive.

How would you classify the bust potential for Peterson and Prince? Also out of the top 3 DL who do you see as the best for us..given we stay in the 3-4.

2nd round picks have been atrocious...who are a few guys you are looking at?

Low bust potential for Peterson and Prince. Both are ready to play right away, and hace excellent coverage skills already.

I think Fairley is tremendous, and I like Dareus. I also think Watt is going to be brilliant in the NFL, and think he has the best physique for any 3-4 DE in the draft. I believe he is going to go much higher than expected, in the top 15 picks. So athletic, it is silly for a 295+ pound DL. If the Niners desire to trade down, and look for a trade partner, I'd love to see this kid opposite Justin Smith.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Why is Gabbert #1 in your opinion? He's never done much in college and he comes from one of the most gimmicky offenses in college football. He was absolutely horrible against Nebraska and doesn't have very impressive stats on the season.

I think Gabbert has all the tools to be successful at the next level. Terrific arm, good mobility, excellent leadership skills, a bright mind, and played well against good competition, especially in the middle of the year. The Colorado (Jimmy Smith), Texas A&M, and Oklahoma stretch was pretty outstanding, with 6 TD's and 0 INT's. They just got derailed at Nebraska and Texas Tech.

Plus, Missouri's WR corp is simply not very good right now. This is not the era of Maclin and company.

Great final game against Iowa minus that pick at the end.

Now, he is a work in progress, and nowhere near Andrew Luck, but there is a lot to like, but his upside is off the chart, and Harbaugh could really develop that talent.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:47 AM ]
Originally posted by al49erfan:
MD, i wanted to get your opinion on Christian Ponder. He seems to have fallenn off the earth as of late. He came in to his Sr year as one of the top QBs, was hurt and hurt again, thew for only 200+ yards 3 times, didnt play in the bowl game.... but he is athletic enough to run and make some moves in the pocket, has a high football IQ and is accurate. isnt that what your looking for in a WCO qb? his Injury history is what really concerns me the most.

Not a fan at all. I see a guy afraid of taking a hit too often, and that is not going to cut it in the NFL.

Is he accurate? Yes. Is he a good fit for a WCO? Sure. I just don't see the moxie, drive, courage to play at a high level in the NFL.
Cam Newton to Az makes too much sense. Whis will think he is Roethlisberger
Originally posted by ninertico:
Wow, MD! You really think that two QBs go top five? I always thought that this year QBs could be inflated more than normal, that's sayin' something. I often wondered if we could land Peterson. This certainly one way. I like a QB in the second, but I wonder just how good Delvin really is. I like my boy Stanzi in the third.

Havili or Marecic, I prefer the latter especially since he's already in tune with Harbaugh's offense. I think that Sua also fits as a viable third rounder. I like the CB/S they have as well. Bring the lot of them.

I would certainly be happy with this draft! Glad someone other than me see the viable possibility of landing Peterson.

Marecic may be an option, but I'd hate the see the team reach for a FB in the third round. I don't believe he will be on the board when the Niners pick in the 4th. In the end, Havili is the quicker, more dynamic FB of the two, and Marecic the more well-rounded, being an outstanding blocker.