There are 174 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog49er Mid-January Mock Draft with Niners' Full Draft

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I haven't read through all the pages on this thread so you may have addressed this, but I don't see Cincy passing on Patrick Peterson to select Gabbert...not with Joseph becoming a UFA. Don't get me wrong, I can see the logic in developing someone behind Palmer, but to skip over a top-tier guy who not only fills a gaping whole on your defense, but who can also very likely start from day one?

Anything is possible, but I have a hard time seeing that one.

Cincy has a tendency to draft very , which is why I agree on a QB selection for them.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I haven't read through all the pages on this thread so you may have addressed this, but I don't see Cincy passing on Patrick Peterson to select Gabbert...not with Joseph becoming a UFA. Don't get me wrong, I can see the logic in developing someone behind Palmer, but to skip over a top-tier guy who not only fills a gaping whole on your defense, but who can also very likely start from day one?

Anything is possible, but I have a hard time seeing that one.

Cincy has a tendency to draft very , which is why I agree on a QB selection for them.

True, but they're also not shy when it comes to drafting CBs high (both Hall and Joseph were 1st rounders). Again, strange things certainly can happen (especially in Bungleland), but I'm not buying the Gabbert pick.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I haven't read through all the pages on this thread so you may have addressed this, but I don't see Cincy passing on Patrick Peterson to select Gabbert...not with Joseph becoming a UFA. Don't get me wrong, I can see the logic in developing someone behind Palmer, but to skip over a top-tier guy who not only fills a gaping whole on your defense, but who can also very likely start from day one?

Anything is possible, but I have a hard time seeing that one.

Cincy has a tendency to draft very , which is why I agree on a QB selection for them.

True, but they're also not shy when it comes to drafting CBs high (both Hall and Joseph were 1st rounders). Again, strange things certainly can happen (especially in Bungleland), but I'm not buying the Gabbert pick.

AB and I did a mock a week or so ago and had them going with Mallet. Giving the excuse well the kid needs more time could get Lewis a pass for another 2ish years.
2011 San Francisco 49ers Mock Draft: Extremely Early Edition
By Robert Rousselle (Contributor) on January 17, 2011

This is my extremely early edition of the 2011 San Francisco 49ers Mock Draft. The only major position of need for the 49ers is at quarterback. I can see the 49ers taking at least two quarterbacks in this draft.
The bad thing about this draft is there are no elite/clear cut number one quarterbacks.This is a draft where the 49ers currently have only one on their roster, David Carr.Here is my round by round selections for the 49ers. I took into account where players should be when the 49ers select in each of those rounds.

Round 1, Pick 7: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

In my opinion, No. 7 is too high for any of the quarterbacks in this draft.
If there is a rookie wage scale then it might be easier to draft a QB.
Amukamara is probably the best cornerback prospect in the draft.
Patrick Peterson has better upside because of his athletic ability and return ability, which means he will probably be drafted earlier. However, Prince was better coached at Nebraska and can start right away for the 49ers defense.

Round 2, Pick 13 (45th Overall): Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State

Here is where I believe the 49ers can find their quarterback of the future. Ponder has all the tools to succeed in the NFL, but will need to check out medically. It would be nice to pick him up in the third round, but because quarterbacks are valued more than any other position, he might not be there in the third.
If the 49ers go with a quarterback with this pick, they will definitely look for a veteran in free agency or via trade (ex. Kevin Kolb, Josh Johnson) to start for a year or two while this future quarterback develops.

Round 3, Pick 12 (76th Overall): Dion Lewis, RB, Pittsburgh

Each year Frank Gore has an injury. A replacement for Gore is a priority in this draft.
I like Anthony Dixon, but they desperately need a running back to fit their West Coast offense.
Dion Lewis will probably not be drafted that high because of his size. If he does make it to the third round, the 49ers should snatch him up.
He is similar to the guy he succeeded at Pittsburgh, LeSean McCoy.

Round 4, Pick 11: Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina

Please note I quit writing overall pick because there will be compensatory picks awarded after the 3rd round that haven’t been determined yet.
This is about the spot where I can see the 49ers looking for a pass rusher unless there is someone they like in the first three rounds.

Bruce Carter has first round athletic ability but had ACL reconstruction surgery on his left knee in December 2010. his reminds me of O’Brien Schofield who was in a similar injury situation last year and was selected in the fourth round by the Arizona Cardinals. He played well when he finally made it onto the field. T
Even with the potential loss of Manny Lawson to free agency, the 49ers have Thaddeus Gibson waiting in the wings. Adding Carter would give the 49ers two young outside linebackers to add to the future rotation.

Round 4, Pick 18 (from San Diego): Andy Dalton, QB, TCU

I could see the 49ers taking another quarterback in the middle rounds, such as Andy Dalton. Andy doesn’t wow you with his athletic skills, but he is a proven winner and great decision maker. He is someone who could eventually become a solid starter or good number two quarterback in the NFL down the road.

Round 5, Pick 10: Rashad Carmichael, CB, Virginia Tech

The fifth round is where we could see the 49ers trying to pick up a play making cornerback in Rashad Carmichael.

Round 6, Pick 9: Ryan Winterswyk, DE, Boise State

You can never have enough line depth, see New York Giants.
Winterswyk might be able to move to outside linebacker. If he could add another 20 to 30 pounds, he could play defensive end in the 49ers 3-4.

Round 6, Pick 25 (from Seattle): Tyrod Taylor, QB, Virginia Tech

Since this is basically an extra pick, the 49ers might as well pick up an athlete who could be a quarterback in the Michael Vick mold or turn into a wide receiver/ returner type, see Joshua Cribbs. Harbaugh witnessed Taylor first hand in the Orange Bowl. He knows that Taylor is too talented to pass up if he is here at this point in the draft.

Round 7, Pick 7 (from Detroit): Zane Taylor, C, Utah

The 49ers have invested many picks lately in the early rounds of the draft on offensive lineman.
This draft is looking like a weak draft for offensive lineman in the early rounds.
Look for them to add some offensive line depth in the later rounds of this draft.

Round 7, Pick 8: Jeff Maehl, WR, Oregon

The 49ers don’t have a pure slot receiver who can make the catch on third and six. I guess Ted Ginn was supposed to be that guy but there is always a 50 percent chance he won’t make the catch.
Whenever I watched Oregon on TV, Maehl caught everything thrown his way.
When Oregon needed a third down reception they always looked his way.
I do like Dominique Zeigler, who is already on the team as a slot guy, but it would be nice if he had some competition.

Undrafted Free Agents
Anthony Gray (pictured), NT, Southern Mississippi - Someone who could develop behind Franklin and Jean Francois.
Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky - Another smaller back who would fit into a West Coast offense.
Lazarius Levingston, DE, LSU - Someone to develop along the defensive line. He’s also from the SEC which the 49ers like.
Junior Tui’one, OLB, Utah - A outside linebacker to bring in to try and earn a spot on the practice squad.
Scott Lutrus, ILB, UConn - Injuries might mean he will be an undrafted free agent.
Originally posted by carias416:
2011 San Francisco 49ers Mock Draft: Extremely Early Edition
By Robert Rousselle (Contributor) on January 17, 2011

This is my extremely early edition of the 2011 San Francisco 49ers Mock Draft. The only major position of need for the 49ers is at quarterback. I can see the 49ers taking at least two quarterbacks in this draft.
The bad thing about this draft is there are no elite/clear cut number one quarterbacks.This is a draft where the 49ers currently have only one on their roster, David Carr.Here is my round by round selections for the 49ers. I took into account where players should be when the 49ers select in each of those rounds.

Round 1, Pick 7: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

In my opinion, No. 7 is too high for any of the quarterbacks in this draft.
If there is a rookie wage scale then it might be easier to draft a QB.
Amukamara is probably the best cornerback prospect in the draft.
Patrick Peterson has better upside because of his athletic ability and return ability, which means he will probably be drafted earlier. However, Prince was better coached at Nebraska and can start right away for the 49ers defense.

Round 2, Pick 13 (45th Overall): Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State

Here is where I believe the 49ers can find their quarterback of the future. Ponder has all the tools to succeed in the NFL, but will need to check out medically. It would be nice to pick him up in the third round, but because quarterbacks are valued more than any other position, he might not be there in the third.
If the 49ers go with a quarterback with this pick, they will definitely look for a veteran in free agency or via trade (ex. Kevin Kolb, Josh Johnson) to start for a year or two while this future quarterback develops.

Round 3, Pick 12 (76th Overall): Dion Lewis, RB, Pittsburgh

Each year Frank Gore has an injury. A replacement for Gore is a priority in this draft.
I like Anthony Dixon, but they desperately need a running back to fit their West Coast offense.
Dion Lewis will probably not be drafted that high because of his size. If he does make it to the third round, the 49ers should snatch him up.
He is similar to the guy he succeeded at Pittsburgh, LeSean McCoy.

Round 4, Pick 11: Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina

Please note I quit writing overall pick because there will be compensatory picks awarded after the 3rd round that haven’t been determined yet.
This is about the spot where I can see the 49ers looking for a pass rusher unless there is someone they like in the first three rounds.

Bruce Carter has first round athletic ability but had ACL reconstruction surgery on his left knee in December 2010. his reminds me of O’Brien Schofield who was in a similar injury situation last year and was selected in the fourth round by the Arizona Cardinals. He played well when he finally made it onto the field. T
Even with the potential loss of Manny Lawson to free agency, the 49ers have Thaddeus Gibson waiting in the wings. Adding Carter would give the 49ers two young outside linebackers to add to the future rotation.

Round 4, Pick 18 (from San Diego): Andy Dalton, QB, TCU

I could see the 49ers taking another quarterback in the middle rounds, such as Andy Dalton. Andy doesn’t wow you with his athletic skills, but he is a proven winner and great decision maker. He is someone who could eventually become a solid starter or good number two quarterback in the NFL down the road.

Round 5, Pick 10: Rashad Carmichael, CB, Virginia Tech

The fifth round is where we could see the 49ers trying to pick up a play making cornerback in Rashad Carmichael.

Round 6, Pick 9: Ryan Winterswyk, DE, Boise State

You can never have enough line depth, see New York Giants.
Winterswyk might be able to move to outside linebacker. If he could add another 20 to 30 pounds, he could play defensive end in the 49ers 3-4.

Round 6, Pick 25 (from Seattle): Tyrod Taylor, QB, Virginia Tech

Since this is basically an extra pick, the 49ers might as well pick up an athlete who could be a quarterback in the Michael Vick mold or turn into a wide receiver/ returner type, see Joshua Cribbs. Harbaugh witnessed Taylor first hand in the Orange Bowl. He knows that Taylor is too talented to pass up if he is here at this point in the draft.

Round 7, Pick 7 (from Detroit): Zane Taylor, C, Utah

The 49ers have invested many picks lately in the early rounds of the draft on offensive lineman.
This draft is looking like a weak draft for offensive lineman in the early rounds.
Look for them to add some offensive line depth in the later rounds of this draft.

Round 7, Pick 8: Jeff Maehl, WR, Oregon

The 49ers don’t have a pure slot receiver who can make the catch on third and six. I guess Ted Ginn was supposed to be that guy but there is always a 50 percent chance he won’t make the catch.
Whenever I watched Oregon on TV, Maehl caught everything thrown his way.
When Oregon needed a third down reception they always looked his way.
I do like Dominique Zeigler, who is already on the team as a slot guy, but it would be nice if he had some competition.

Undrafted Free Agents
Anthony Gray (pictured), NT, Southern Mississippi - Someone who could develop behind Franklin and Jean Francois.
Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky - Another smaller back who would fit into a West Coast offense.
Lazarius Levingston, DE, LSU - Someone to develop along the defensive line. He’s also from the SEC which the 49ers like.
Junior Tui’one, OLB, Utah - A outside linebacker to bring in to try and earn a spot on the practice squad.
Scott Lutrus, ILB, UConn - Injuries might mean he will be an undrafted free agent.

You have your own thread to discuss this. Isn't that enough?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Mad Dog:
I your top ten of this draft how would you rank them in turns of 49ers needs and if all ten were accessible to the niners how would you rank them in terms of actual picking order?

In terms of need is a bit hard to tell, since free agency is not upon us, but I'll give it a shot in terms of eligible and projected top ten picks:
1) QB- Right now, David Carr is the starter
2) CB- Soon, Nate Clements will be on another roster
3) OLB- When was the last time we had a legitimate pass rusher?
4) WR- Still looking for a star receiver, which has not been on the roster since T.O.
5) DE- Not the greatest need, but the quality of 3-4 DE's in this draft is sensational

My Niners' board, based on the projected top end draftees, would be:
1) Gabbert
2) Peterson
3) AJ Green
4) Fairley
5) Bowers
6) Dareus

Does that mean that if both Gabbert and Peterson were gone by pick 7, you would take Green?....and if Peterson was gone by pick 7 and Gabbert was not, you would take Gabbert?

Yes, and yes. This would be my board if we were drafting one, three, five or ten. So, if Peterson and Gabbert are on the board at seven, I'm taking the QB.

Wow....didn't think you would rate Gabbert that highly... I really see your logic now in putting together your board. If he goes to AZ at number 5, which now seems like a distinct possibility, then the Niners will definitely have an excellent CB or DE available at number 7. Good news!!

One last question.....I live in the Pacific NW and have seen Locker play a few times and one has to be impressed with his toughness and athleticism. What is your impression of him? He hasn't had that much talent around him but he has had good QB coaching the past couple of years....yet he seemed to regress this year. Would love to see your rating list of QBs in this draft... Thanks for all of the info MD
Originally posted by jreff22:
As always MD

AB and I ran a mock about a week ago and we have some very close similarities. DL going 1-3, QB at 4, and Peterson at 7. I do have a feeling that Cincy still goes Mallet at 4 though. I do hope we pass on ALL QB's at 7, this class is weak. Also I really would rather go after the best OLB, DL, or WR in the 2nd. The statistics on QB's succeeding that have been drafted in the 2nd is not very good. And any kid drafted in the first or second probably wont see the field anyways....would rather wait another round.

The Niners need to hit on their second rounder. Since 2005, they have only had three second rounders, in 2005, 2008 and 2010. The three selections: David Baas, Chilo Rachal, Taylor Mays. Not impressive.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Mad Dog:
I your top ten of this draft how would you rank them in turns of 49ers needs and if all ten were accessible to the niners how would you rank them in terms of actual picking order?

In terms of need is a bit hard to tell, since free agency is not upon us, but I'll give it a shot in terms of eligible and projected top ten picks:
1) QB- Right now, David Carr is the starter
2) CB- Soon, Nate Clements will be on another roster
3) OLB- When was the last time we had a legitimate pass rusher?
4) WR- Still looking for a star receiver, which has not been on the roster since T.O.
5) DE- Not the greatest need, but the quality of 3-4 DE's in this draft is sensational

My Niners' board, based on the projected top end draftees, would be:
1) Gabbert
2) Peterson
3) AJ Green
4) Fairley
5) Bowers
6) Dareus

Does that mean that if both Gabbert and Peterson were gone by pick 7, you would take Green?....and if Peterson was gone by pick 7 and Gabbert was not, you would take Gabbert?

Yes, and yes. This would be my board if we were drafting one, three, five or ten. So, if Peterson and Gabbert are on the board at seven, I'm taking the QB.

Wow....didn't think you would rate Gabbert that highly... I really see your logic now in putting together your board. If he goes to AZ at number 5, which now seems like a distinct possibility, then the Niners will definitely have an excellent CB or DE available at number 7. Good news!!

One last question.....I live in the Pacific NW and have seen Locker play a few times and one has to be impressed with his toughness and athleticism. What is your impression of him? He hasn't had that much talent around him but he has had good QB coaching the past couple of years....yet he seemed to regress this year. Would love to see your rating list of QBs in this draft... Thanks for all of the info MD

I have Locker graded as the third best QB in this draft, after Gabbert and Dalton. He has very little to work with at Washington, but I was still disappointed with the lack of productivity. Matt Ryan was in a similar position at BC, but still performed at a high level.

I can see Harbaugh bringing out the best in Locker's qualities, and wouldn't be surprised to see him go number seven this year.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Mad Dog:
I your top ten of this draft how would you rank them in turns of 49ers needs and if all ten were accessible to the niners how would you rank them in terms of actual picking order?

In terms of need is a bit hard to tell, since free agency is not upon us, but I'll give it a shot in terms of eligible and projected top ten picks:
1) QB- Right now, David Carr is the starter
2) CB- Soon, Nate Clements will be on another roster
3) OLB- When was the last time we had a legitimate pass rusher?
4) WR- Still looking for a star receiver, which has not been on the roster since T.O.
5) DE- Not the greatest need, but the quality of 3-4 DE's in this draft is sensational

My Niners' board, based on the projected top end draftees, would be:
1) Gabbert
2) Peterson
3) AJ Green
4) Fairley
5) Bowers
6) Dareus

Does that mean that if both Gabbert and Peterson were gone by pick 7, you would take Green?....and if Peterson was gone by pick 7 and Gabbert was not, you would take Gabbert?

Yes, and yes. This would be my board if we were drafting one, three, five or ten. So, if Peterson and Gabbert are on the board at seven, I'm taking the QB.

Wow....didn't think you would rate Gabbert that highly... I really see your logic now in putting together your board. If he goes to AZ at number 5, which now seems like a distinct possibility, then the Niners will definitely have an excellent CB or DE available at number 7. Good news!!

One last question.....I live in the Pacific NW and have seen Locker play a few times and one has to be impressed with his toughness and athleticism. What is your impression of him? He hasn't had that much talent around him but he has had good QB coaching the past couple of years....yet he seemed to regress this year. Would love to see your rating list of QBs in this draft... Thanks for all of the info MD

I have Locker graded as the third best QB in this draft, after Gabbert and Dalton. He has very little to work with at Washington, but I was still disappointed with the lack of productivity. Matt Ryan was in a similar position at BC, but still performed at a high level.

I can see Harbaugh bringing out the best in Locker's qualities, and wouldn't be surprised to see him go number seven this year.

If Singletary coached Locker, it would be a disaster. If Harbaugh coaches him, he'll be a star.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
I would be very happen if this scenario unfolds.

Very happen

Yah, I just edited it to happy.
Hey MD, You have Dalton and Locker ahead of Ryan mallet? What would you classify as Mallets "flaws"? just curious, Also as of now what number of Qb would you give Stanzi? and where do you project him going? (sorry I'm a big Hawkeye fan, just wanted your opinion since history has shown you are usualy pretty darn accurate.)
Originally posted by tmpluff:
Hey MD, You have Dalton and Locker ahead of Ryan mallet? What would you classify as Mallets "flaws"? just curious, Also as of now what number of Qb would you give Stanzi? and where do you project him going? (sorry I'm a big Hawkeye fan, just wanted your opinion since history has shown you are usualy pretty darn accurate.)

False.
Originally posted by tmpluff:
Hey MD, You have Dalton and Locker ahead of Ryan mallet? What would you classify as Mallets "flaws"? just curious, Also as of now what number of Qb would you give Stanzi? and where do you project him going? (sorry I'm a big Hawkeye fan, just wanted your opinion since history has shown you are usualy pretty darn accurate.)

My guess is he'll tell you that since Mallett is kind of big and slow and not as accurate on short passes he would not fit well in a WCO. Also guess he'll say his decision making isnt the greatest. Most of those are true IMO too.
Originally posted by tmpluff:
Hey MD, You have Dalton and Locker ahead of Ryan mallet? What would you classify as Mallets "flaws"? just curious, Also as of now what number of Qb would you give Stanzi? and where do you project him going? (sorry I'm a big Hawkeye fan, just wanted your opinion since history has shown you are usualy pretty darn accurate.)

I don't like Mallett's movement in the pocket, and I think he will be a sitting duck in the NFL. Very slow footwork when attacked. In the NFL, QB's have to be mobile in the pocket, not necessarily fast. I just don't see Mallett getting away from an NFL rush, at all.

As for Stanzi, I like him more than some of the small school guys that are receiving more attention these days (Kaepernick, Devlin). I'd put him fifth on my board for QB's, after Gabbert, Dalton, Locker, and Newton. So, he will present good value for a team as a mid-round draftee. He's probably a 4th rounder, but could slide a round either way, based on performance in the next couple of weeks.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 17, 2011 at 8:09 PM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by tmpluff:
Hey MD, You have Dalton and Locker ahead of Ryan mallet? What would you classify as Mallets "flaws"? just curious, Also as of now what number of Qb would you give Stanzi? and where do you project him going? (sorry I'm a big Hawkeye fan, just wanted your opinion since history has shown you are usualy pretty darn accurate.)

My guess is he'll tell you that since Mallett is kind of big and slow and not as accurate on short passes he would not fit well in a WCO. Also guess he'll say his decision making isnt the greatest. Most of those are true IMO too.

You pretty much hit the key areas of concern. I love the arm.