There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog49er Mid-January Mock Draft with Niners' Full Draft

Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
LOL @ those 2 qb's in top 5. Both of which were relative unknowns last year. NEVA GONNA HAPPEN! Teams don't draft 1yr wonders (not even that wonderful of a yr in Gabberts case) on qb's from spread systems in the top 5.

Thanks MD - could definitely happen. If the QB is gone in the 2nd who is your fallback QB & what do you think of Kaepernick[sp]?
Well done MD 20-20, a very plausible mock....it'll be interesting to see how
the new staff drafts.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
MD, you talk a lot about Gabbert. Can you break that down a bit more. How good of a prospect is he? what's his ceiling?

If you could construct a QB, Gabbert would look something like the perfect model. He has excellent size, at 6'5", 235, but is very athletic (he will probably run in the 4.75-4.80 area). Strong arm, able to make all the throws downfield. Is a solid leader, who is highly competitive, and puts time in the film room.

Now, he has to begin to work under the center, but that is the case of most college QB's moving into the NFL. Gabbert is a player who will probably need a full year of preparation, but will get some reps, and maybe take over during the year, as the #1 will probably falter.

All the tools, the only question is whether he can put it all together at the next level. I think he is going to be very good in the NFL.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Great mock MD.....realistic too. Wouldn't complain at all if it played out this way.

Just curious though...

If Peterson and Dalton were not there, who would be your second choices for picks number 7 and number 45 (second round)?

For example, would you take QB Devlin if Dalton were gone by then?

I'm not a big fan of Devlin, at all. He's going to be a backup in the NFL. I think many are excited with Devlin because he played at Delaware and people want to believe in the idea of Flacco, Part II. But, there is no comparing the two. Flacco was ten times the prospect of Devlin. Me no likey!!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Great mock MD.....realistic too. Wouldn't complain at all if it played out this way.

Just curious though...

If Peterson and Dalton were not there, who would be your second choices for picks number 7 and number 45 (second round)?

For example, would you take QB Devlin if Dalton were gone by then?

I'm not a big fan of Devlin, at all. He's going to be a backup in the NFL. I think many are excited with Devlin because he played at Delaware and people want to believe in the idea of Flacco, Part II. But, there is no comparing the two. Flacco was ten times the prospect of Devlin. Me no likey!!

How do you feel about Kaepernick and Stanzi then?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Thanks MD - could definitely happen. If the QB is gone in the 2nd who is your fallback QB & what do you think of Kaepernick[sp]?

I like Kaepernick better than Devlin and Ponder, but not sold as a solid starter in the pros. He'd have to fall into the late third for me to be interested.

As for a fallback QB, great question. Just not a big fan of the guys that could land in that 3rd-5th round area. Probably would wait a few rounds for Stanzi, or take a flier later on Jerrod Johnson, if his shoulder is sound.

Lot of variables.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
I would be very happen if this scenario unfolds.

Very happen
Mad Dog:
I your top ten of this draft how would you rank them in turns of 49ers needs and if all ten were accessible to the niners how would you rank them in terms of actual picking order?
I just have a good feeling about Casey Matthews, I'd like to add him in there, but otherwise good mock
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
I just have a good feeling about Casey Matthews, I'd like to add him in there, but otherwise good mock

Difficult to argue against any member of that family!
MD, you talk a lot about Gabbert. Can you break that down a bit more. How good of a prospect is he? what's his ceiling?

If you could construct a QB, Gabbert would look something like the perfect model. He has excellent size, at 6'5", 235, but is very athletic (he will probably run in the 4.75-4.80 area). Strong arm, able to make all the throws downfield. Is a solid leader, who is highly competitive, and puts time in the film room.

Now, he has to begin to work under the center, but that is the case of most college QB's moving into the NFL. Gabbert is a player who will probably need a full year of preparation, but will get some reps, and maybe take over during the year, as the #1 will probably falter.

All the tools, the only question is whether he can put it all together at the next level. I think he is going to be very good in the NFL.

Worth trading up for? I'm also going on the record as saying that I'm a huge Locker fan

Worth trading up for? I'm also going on the record as saying that I'm a huge Locker fan

The few games I saw with Locker at QB demonstrated his courage and tough running ability but he tended to hold the ball too long and did not find recievers. Did not see any games the year before when he played well so...?
Originally posted by ninerfan21:

Totally agree, love this guy. I have a feeling his stock will sky-rocket.
That would be an awesome draft. Top three needs knocked out of the park and good depth picks in the later rounds. Add a veteran QB by free agency or trade and the Niners would be looking good.