There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Best OLB

Contrary to most on this board, I don't think CB is our greatest need. Re-watching most of the Niner games I came to one simple conclusion; the 49ers CAN NOT consistently bring pressure against opposing QBs and opposing QBs regularly have 4 - 5 seconds to read and throw against the 49er secondary. In particular I've been shocked to see how easily Haralson and Lawson are so easily picked up and walled off when rushing.

I think more than ever OLB is by far our weakest position and it will consistently retard the defense.

What are your suggestions for best OLB in the draft?
Well, if we can sign a Jonathan Joseph in free agency, what about drafting Robert Quinn at #7?
Despite his suspension I think Robert Quinn is still the best one.

If we trade down there are a bunch of guys who could make pretty good rush backers in a 3-4

Justin Houston
Von Miller
Ryan Kerrigan
Aldon Smith
Akeem Ayers
von miller would have to be a consideration at #7
Originally posted by hofer36:

WAYY to early, if we want him we trade down to the mid teens which is where he will go. Hybrids are busts way too often and using top 10 picks on them is too risky
OLB is a concern, but part of the problem is we lack a dominant pass-rushing end on passing downs. This is why we need a dominant NT/DT like Dareus, and then a converted DE/OLB hybrid that can man the WILL spot but also be a monster wth his hand in the ground when we have to rush on 3rd downs or in nickel/dime packages.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
OLB is a concern, but part of the problem is we lack a dominant pass-rushing end on passing downs. This is why we need a dominant NT/DT like Dareus, and then a converted DE/OLB hybrid that can man the WILL spot but also be a monster wth his hand in the ground when we have to rush on 3rd downs or in nickel/dime packages.

Resign Franklin, get Wimbley in FA?

In a 3-4, I thought it was the OLB who brought the heat? It's nice if we can get some pressure from the NT or from DT, but the OLB must bring the pressure in a 3-4.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

In a 3-4, I thought it was the OLB who brought the heat? It's nice if we can get some pressure from the NT or from DT, but the OLB must bring the pressure in a 3-4.

Yeah but in the 3-4 the DEs are supposed to command double teams and we only had 1 DL that did in Justin Smith.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Well, if we can sign a Jonathan Joseph in free agency, what about drafting Robert Quinn at #7?

Someone pointed out in another thread Joseph is a RFA, unless you want to give up draft picks for him.
Originally posted by jimrat201:
Originally posted by niner4life21:

Someone pointed out in another thread Joseph is a RFA, unless you want to give up draft picks for him.

This RFA business may get erased if there's a new CBA agreed on. I think that would be one of the main sticking points with players.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

They do.

I don't even see Dareus as a good option at NT. He'd be a great pick at DE tho. Good draft for 3-4 DE and OLB players
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by hofer36:

WAYY to early, if we want him we trade down to the mid teens which is where he will go. Hybrids are busts way too often and using top 10 picks on them is too risky

He's not really a hybrid. I doubt he makes it past Houston at 11.
GM, I've been thinking the very same thing recently. Green Bay started 2 undrafted free agents at CB yesterday (Tramon Williams and Sam Shields), and they did just fine...of course they have a monster pass rush in front of them, which makes all the difference in the world to your secondary.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Ayers

I think he will shoot up draft boards after his workouts