There are 235 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

TCU's QB Andy Dalton

From what I've read so far, Dalton seems like the most intriguing QB prospect for the 49ers in the draft IMO. He seems to have the leadership skills, intelligence and accuracy needed to QB in Harbaugh's WCO.


BUT, I have to admit, I have no clue about college players for the most part... I guess I'll just have to leave it up to Baalke and Harbaugh and trust them to make a good decision.


Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:
From what I've read so far, Dalton seems like the most intriguing QB prospect for the 49ers in the draft IMO. He seems to have the leadership skills, intelligence and accuracy needed to QB in Harbaugh's WCO.


BUT, I have to admit, I have no clue about college players for the most part... I guess I'll just have to leave it up to Baalke and Harbaugh and trust them to make a good decision.



I'm starting to think so too. He also seems like a sponge, taking in everything the coaches are telling him. I'm sure he'll be able to get his footwork fixed for the WCO.
DraftCountdown Scott Wright
I don't know what people see that I'm missing on #TCU QB Andy Dalton... Give me Greg McElroy of #Alabama. #SeniorBowl
Originally posted by 76Razor:
Originally posted by nipplehead:
I'd much prefer a guy like Dalton over a guy like Locker, purely because the WCO places such an emphasis on accuracy. Walsh always said he looked for 2 things in QBs - accuracy and intelligence. Dalton appears to have both.

and footwork?

how is dalton's footwork. i have not watched enough of him to notice any bad footwork.

I think that is the biggest downside for him at this point. He's been a spread offense (aka shotgun) QB in college so his footwork after taking the snap from center will be something he needs to work on.
I am really looking forward to watching him this saturday. I want to see how he looks taking the ball from under center and dropping back. He has been working on it all this week so it will be a good gage to see how quickly he can learn with only a week to work on it.
I like Dalton and I would love to see him as a Niner. I think sitting a year ot two out learning under Harbaugh would work great for him.
i really hope we pull the trigger on this guy in the 2nd. That may be a little bit high for him with our pick but i doubt he will be there in the 3rd. This guy intrigues me more than Stanzi, Devlin, etc.
I've liked what I've heard about Dalton. I like the idea of Dalton and Stanzi in the 2nd more than drafting a QB in the 1st or 3rd and beyond.

Who would we say that Dalton compares to?
Originally posted by Schulzy:
I've liked what I've heard about Dalton. I like the idea of Dalton and Stanzi in the 2nd more than drafting a QB in the 1st or 3rd and beyond.

Who would we say that Dalton compares to?

Jake Delhomme
MB reports that Andy Dalton has the most swagger out of the Senior Bowl QBs.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/how-the-senior.html

Both Andy Dalton and Greg McElroy were forced from Saturday afternoon's Senior Bowl with injury.
McElroy suffered a contusion after banging his right-hand on a helmet, while Dalton got the "wind knocked out of him." Neither were having a great game for the South team before going down, combining to complete just 8-of-15 passes for 58 yards and zero touchdowns. Dalton, in particular, was struggling, looking easily rattled when pressured while displaying so-so footwork.
rotoworld.com
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Both Andy Dalton and Greg McElroy were forced from Saturday afternoon's Senior Bowl with injury.
McElroy suffered a contusion after banging his right-hand on a helmet, while Dalton got the "wind knocked out of him." Neither were having a great game for the South team before going down, combining to complete just 8-of-15 passes for 58 yards and zero touchdowns. Dalton, in particular, was struggling, looking easily rattled when pressured while displaying so-so footwork.
rotoworld.com

pressure from a 4 man front with no blitzing allowed and only 2 defensive coverages allowed
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Both Andy Dalton and Greg McElroy were forced from Saturday afternoon's Senior Bowl with injury.
McElroy suffered a contusion after banging his right-hand on a helmet, while Dalton got the "wind knocked out of him." Neither were having a great game for the South team before going down, combining to complete just 8-of-15 passes for 58 yards and zero touchdowns. Dalton, in particular, was struggling, looking easily rattled when pressured while displaying so-so footwork.
rotoworld.com

pressure from a 4 man front with no blitzing allowed and only 2 defensive coverages allowed

The footwork issue is incredibly unsurprising. He rarely worked under center at TCU, so he's going to need to be worked with to get it down. But folks.. that's what these coaches are for; they find their guy who they believe has the ability to be something special, and they start building him.

No QB in this draft is a flawless or even near fully polished player. With that said, this could be a reason for the unpredictability of these players' spots of selection. Dalton could go anywhere from the 2nd to 4th.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,940
Kiper and McShay have him ranked as the 5th best Qb, a 2nd/3rd round starter in the NFL on their Draft Lab feature.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 14, 2011 at 15:53:37 ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,349
Originally posted by mayo49:
Kiper and McShay have him ranked as the 5th best Qb, a 2nd/3rd round starter in the NFL on their Draft Lab feature.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6120666
  • Riot
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,468
Anyone have any video of his games? Looked all over youtube but Andy Dalton highlights are few and far between.