There are 92 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

TCU's QB Andy Dalton

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by submoa:
I think AD intrigues me more than any QB in this draft... he has many intangibles: leadership, makes plays with his feet, a proven winner... not so sure if he has the accuracy or decision making skills to be successful in the NFL, and I only say that because I have not seen much from him outside of his recent bowl game.

He is incredibly accurate and has very good poise and no happy feet in the pocket. TCU uses a bunch small speedy WRs so if we able to give him a bigger target like VD or a WR like Armon Binns or DeAndre Brown in the draft he would have one hell of an easy transition.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by fan49:
i saw clips of both stanzi and dalton. i like stanzi way more.... in my eyes its not even that close

Seems we have one vote for Stanzi in the "Who has the better highlight package" category.

Yup. The one with the better highlights is the better QB.
Is there another way of scouting players than checking out their highlight vids?
Dalton looks like he could have a Jim Harbaugh type pro career as a starter and backup.
Originally posted by genus49:
Is there another way of scouting players than checking out their highlight vids?

Senior Bowl and combine.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'd take a chance on him before I would Stanzi

For real and neither Dalton or Stanzi are worth a 2nd rd pick in this draft. Way to much defensive talent to be reaching for back ups. 49ers dont need this bad juju floating in the universe. 3rd maybe for Dalton because hes always been consistent as is accurate. Stanzi is anything but consistent. Stanzi has had stretches of just horrid games after showing you good games. This despite having great run games and a really solid defense. Ill bet a dollar he tooks years off Thorhawks life. I wouldnt touch Stanzi till maybe the 4th. Or atleast until CB,RG,C, OLB or DT are fixed before taking either really.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Look out for this guy, he maybe our pick.

MM Blog:
Quote:
Andy Dalton, Texas Christian
Height: 6020
Weight: 213

His size was considered an issue when Dalton arrived at the Senior Bowl. And while he certainly does not strike an imposing figure, he was only slightly shorter than Jake Locker and Florida State's Christian Ponder and bigger than Alabama's Greg McElroy.

"That's one thing that was good to come in and be around everybody," Dalton said. "You see that these guys aren't so much bigger. It's just fun to be out here."

Dalton is considered a tremendous leader, as he guided the Horned Frogs to an undefeated season and a No. 3 ranking. He threw for 219 yards and a touchdown and also ran for a touchdown in a 21-19 victory over Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

[REWIND: Dalton leads TCU over Wisconsin in Rose Bowl]

Thriving in a short-passing game, Dalton must prove he has the arm to make NFL-type throws. He would appear to be a fit for Harbaugh's West Coast system.

"To be in that style of offense would be a lot of fun to play in with coach Harbaugh," Dalton said. "I think he was a great hire and it'll be fun to see what he does.

"We actually played Stanford twice when I was at TCU, so I have an understanding of what they've done, and watching games on TV this year to see how productive they were."

But Dalton does not want to be typecast for only one NFL system. He said he believes he can play in any NFL scheme
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 25, 2011 at 1:52 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:

MM Blog:
Quote:

His size was considered an issue when Dalton arrived at the Senior Bowl. And while he certainly does not strike an imposing figure, he was only slightly shorter than Jake Locker and Florida State's Christian Ponder and bigger than Alabama's Greg McElroy.

"That's one thing that was good to come in and be around everybody," Dalton said. "You see that these guys aren't so much bigger. It's just fun to be out here."

Dalton is considered a tremendous leader, as he guided the Horned Frogs to an undefeated season and a No. 3 ranking. He threw for 219 yards and a touchdown and also ran for a touchdown in a 21-19 victory over Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

Thriving in a short-passing game, Dalton must prove he has the arm to make NFL-type throws. He would appear to be a fit for Harbaugh's West Coast system.

"To be in that style of offense would be a lot of fun to play in with coach Harbaugh," Dalton said. "I think he was a great hire and it'll be fun to see what he does.

"We actually played Stanford twice when I was at TCU, so I have an understanding of what they've done, and watching games on TV this year to see how productive they were."

But Dalton does not want to be typecast for only one NFL system. He said he believes he can play in any NFL scheme

Don't think he will be there in the 2nd when we pick, here are the teams that pick ahead of us in the 2nd that could use a QB.

Round 2
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Arizona
Tennessee
Washington
Minnesota
Originally posted by jreff22:

MM Blog:
Quote:

Don't think he will be there in the 2nd when we pick, here are the teams that pick ahead of us in the 2nd that could use a QB.

Round 2
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Arizona
Tennessee
Washington
Minnesota

IDK, Think we may try trading up for him. I think he'd be a good pick, especially if he can sit behind a vet for a year or two.
Originally posted by ninerfan21:

MM Blog:
Quote:

Round 2
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Arizona
Tennessee
Washington
Minnesota

IDK, Think we may try trading up for him. I think he'd be a good pick, especially if he can sit behind a vet for a year or two.

if one of those teams wants him its going to be hard to trade, they are at the top of the 2nd.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

MM Blog:
Quote:

Round 2
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Arizona
Tennessee
Washington
Minnesota

if one of those teams wants him its going to be hard to trade, they are at the top of the 2nd.

Trade up with one of the final four teams. 29-32 Slots in the 1st rd.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 25, 2011 at 2:36 PM ]
"maybe an adequate starter"

"solid back up"

"may eventually adjust to a pro style"

Sounds like someone else we know. Why are we going down this route again? If we are drafting a guy on "potential" I'd rather draft a guy like Mallett who has a proven arm. Mallet from what I read needs help with footwork. That can be fixed. You can't fix an "average arm."

I just don't understand why we'd be willing to let go Troy Smith or Alex Smith to pick up a guy that's...well...going to present the same problems.

MM Blog:
Quote:

Round 2
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Arizona
Tennessee
Washington
Minnesota

don't like that idea
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

MM Blog:
Quote:

Round 2
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Arizona
Tennessee
Washington
Minnesota

don't like that idea

Why not?

MM Blog:
Quote:

Round 2
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Arizona
Tennessee
Washington
Minnesota

don't like that idea

Why not?

would rather trade back and gain picks if that's the plan, but I dont think we get him....if Cinci passes on a Qb first I think they take this kid in the 2nd. From one ginger to another the torch shall pass
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home