There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

TCU's QB Andy Dalton

Dalton is a lot like Tebow in personality and his winning pedigree. He just doesn't have the freakish athleticism, but he also doesn't have huge mechanical issues to rebuild like Tebow did.

He's arguably the closest to being NFL ready. Squeaky clean character, durable, fundamentally sound, a winner, not "amazing" athleticism but good athleticism.

Some might say he's even better than Ponder who from time to time had some inconsistencies getting the ball out on time (when he was healthy) and has that injury history. I rate him above Ponder, personally.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 14, 2011 at 8:59 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

He's arguably the closest to being NFL ready. Squeaky clean character, durable, fundamentally sound, a winner, not "amazing" athleticism but good athleticism.

Stanzi is much more pro-ready
I agree and like Stanzi more. I don't see the crisp, fluid, movement in Dalton's drops and watching all of his highlights the receivers are open by 5-10 yards with those throws.

I'm obviously not a pro scout but I know that the steps in a drop should almost be explosive with the QB getting away from the line as quickly/efficiently as possible. And when I see guys getting the ball so wide open (as a result of the spread) it just reminds me the NFL windows are much too small for him to do the same thing in the NFL.

I think Stanzi has better PRO skills and will do better in those two phases. For a great example, pull up the highlights of the game winning drive at Michigan State for Stanzi. TD as time expires to McNutt on a PERFECTLY thrown slant after reading the defenses reaction to motion.

I just don't see the same thing everyone else on here is going nuts about...but in Harbaugh I trust?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Quote:
Dolphins put Andy Dalton to the test

Posted by Mike Florio on April 19, 2011, 6:18 PM EDT

In an excellent article from Peter King of Sports Illustrated regarding the challenges and dynamics of drafting and developing quarterbacks, King shares some intriguing information about Andy Dalton’s experiences with the Dolphins.

For starters, the Dolphins sent Dalton a portion of their playbook on Thursday, March 31, in advance of a Sunday, April 3 meeting. It contained more than 100 formations, with motions and shifts and protections, along with pass route trees.

They wanted him to know it cold by Sunday morning at 10:00 a.m. But he was meeting with the Cowboys all day Friday and he had to attend a rehearsal dinner for a friend’s wedding on Friday night and the wedding on Saturday night. So Dalton got up early on Saturday and studied the playbook all day. On Sunday, he continued to review it during the one-hour trip to campus, while his girlfriend drove.

Dalton said he believes he “aced” the tests.

But then the Dolphins exposed Dalton to another type of test, with offensive coordinator Brian Daboll pretending to be a disgruntled receiver who wasn’t getting the ball as much as he’d like. (We’re not sure why the Fins would be worried about that; they have no one on the roster who fits that description. Eye roll.)

“He was yelling at me pretty loud about not getting the ball,” Dalton told King. “I said, ‘I’ll take a look at that. . . . All right, all right!’ I don’t think I handled that too well, but I know I can when it happens. But the situation was a little weird.”

Dez Bryant would tell Dalton that it could have been even weirder.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/19/dolphins-put-andy-dalton-to-the-test/
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:

In an excellent article from Peter King of Sports Illustrated regarding the challenges and dynamics of drafting and developing quarterbacks, King shares some intriguing information about Andy Dalton’s experiences with the Dolphins.

For starters, the Dolphins sent Dalton a portion of their playbook on Thursday, March 31, in advance of a Sunday, April 3 meeting. It contained more than 100 formations, with motions and shifts and protections, along with pass route trees.

They wanted him to know it cold by Sunday morning at 10:00 a.m. But he was meeting with the Cowboys all day Friday and he had to attend a rehearsal dinner for a friend’s wedding on Friday night and the wedding on Saturday night. So Dalton got up early on Saturday and studied the playbook all day. On Sunday, he continued to review it during the one-hour trip to campus, while his girlfriend drove.

But then the Dolphins exposed Dalton to another type of test, with offensive coordinator Brian Daboll pretending to be a disgruntled receiver who wasn’t getting the ball as much as he’d like. (We’re not sure why the Fins would be worried about that; they have no one on the roster who fits that description. Eye roll.)

“He was yelling at me pretty loud about not getting the ball,” Dalton told King. “I said, ‘I’ll take a look at that. . . . All right, all right!’ I don’t think I handled that too well, but I know I can when it happens. But the situation was a little weird.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/19/dolphins-put-andy-dalton-to-the-test/

f**k Miami
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 52isabeast:
I agree and like Stanzi more. I don't see the crisp, fluid, movement in Dalton's drops and watching all of his highlights the receivers are open by 5-10 yards with those throws.

I'm obviously not a pro scout but I know that the steps in a drop should almost be explosive with the QB getting away from the line as quickly/efficiently as possible. And when I see guys getting the ball so wide open (as a result of the spread) it just reminds me the NFL windows are much too small for him to do the same thing in the NFL.

I think Stanzi has better PRO skills and will do better in those two phases. For a great example, pull up the highlights of the game winning drive at Michigan State for Stanzi. TD as time expires to McNutt on a PERFECTLY thrown slant after reading the defenses reaction to motion.

I just don't see the same thing everyone else on here is going nuts about...but in Harbaugh I trust?

Man I am having trouble giving Stanzi that much credit. I just can't get Brad Banks out of my mind. I hope you are right and he falls to us in the 3rd round. Between the two I like Dalton better but agree that if we had to reach to get him, a better option is Stanzi.

At least this draft is going to be interesting.
Originally posted by dwett:

Man I am having trouble giving Stanzi that much credit. I just can't get Brad Banks out of my mind. I hope you are right and he falls to us in the 3rd round. Between the two I like Dalton better but agree that if we had to reach to get him, a better option is Stanzi.

what the hell does brad banks have to with Stanzi
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:

f**k Miami

I agree. Miami has had some of the most ridiculous interviews I've ever heard. I guess those Jersey Shore idiots aren't the only d-bags in South Beach.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

I guess I am looking at their senior year
Yards % TDs INT
Stanzi

2010 3004 64.1% 25 6

Banks

2002 2,573 57.8% 26 5

The thing for Stanzi is his completion % but they both had success at Iowa. Now you may be right this means nothing on their ability to translate to the pros. When I watched Iowa this year it just seemed like he was just doing enough to get by and not taking over.

The Michigan State game was his perfect game, but he only threw 15 passes. He averaged over 31 passes the next 4 and he lost 3/4. He did win his bowl game but wasn't that impressive throwing 2 picks with no TDs.

To answer your question: I am not sure if Stanzi is that good or if the system at Iowa enabled him to put up those stats. Who knows we shall see.
I have a feeling we're gonna end up with Stanzi unless we move up to the first round or 1st pick of the second.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I have a feeling we're gonna end up with Stanzi unless we move up to the first round or 1st pick of the second.

Stanzi will be a Jag or Patriot.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Quote:
One NFL coach admits to some level of concern over TCU QB Andy Dalton's red hair color.
"Has there ever been a red-headed quarterback in the NFL who's really done well?" the coach asked. "It sounds idiotic, but is there any way that could be a factor? We've wondered." Doesn't Jeff Garcia count? Or did Todd Marinovich ruin it for all gingers? As SI's Peter King points out, Boomer Esiason visited no teams and had just one team work him out before being chosen in the second round of the 1984 draft. Fast forward two-and-half decades, and even Dalton's hair color is under scrutiny as draft season reaches new heights of absurdity.

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Quote:
One NFL coach admits to some level of concern over TCU QB Andy Dalton's red hair color.
"Has there ever been a red-headed quarterback in the NFL who's really done well?" the coach asked. "It sounds idiotic, but is there any way that could be a factor? We've wondered." Doesn't Jeff Garcia count? Or did Todd Marinovich ruin it for all gingers? As SI's Peter King points out, Boomer Esiason visited no teams and had just one team work him out before being chosen in the second round of the 1984 draft. Fast forward two-and-half decades, and even Dalton's hair color is under scrutiny as draft season reaches new heights of absurdity.

We really need a CBA. Having no FA period really caused scouts to overscrutinize some of these guys.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Quote:

We really need a CBA. Having no FA period really caused scouts to overscrutinize some of these guys.

Even scouts know that Gingers have no souls.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

I guess I am looking at their senior year
Yards % TDs INT
Stanzi

2010 3004 64.1% 25 6

Banks

2002 2,573 57.8% 26 5

The thing for Stanzi is his completion % but they both had success at Iowa. Now you may be right this means nothing on their ability to translate to the pros. When I watched Iowa this year it just seemed like he was just doing enough to get by and not taking over.

The Michigan State game was his perfect game, but he only threw 15 passes. He averaged over 31 passes the next 4 and he lost 3/4. He did win his bowl game but wasn't that impressive throwing 2 picks with no TDs.

To answer your question: I am not sure if Stanzi is that good or if the system at Iowa enabled him to put up those stats. Who knows we shall see.
Banks was a 1 year starter who put up impressive numbers on arguably the best team Iowa ever fielded. Banks was never considered an nfl prospect due to his small size and weak arm.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home