LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 225 users in the forums

TCU's QB Andy Dalton

no gingers thank you.
Sporting news projects him as a 6th or 7th rounder. Why do we put guys like this up for consideration with a 2nd round pick? Anything above a 6th or 7th would be too high.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Sporting news projects him as a 6th or 7th rounder. Why do we put guys like this up for consideration with a 2nd round pick? Anything above a 6th or 7th would be too high.

Yeah I agree. People just assume that they're a 2nd round talent and could move up there after combine/senior bowls.

I think a guy like Dalton could be had in the 4th.

DO NOT listen to Sporting news. They are absolutely HORRIBLE. They know NOTHING about the draft. A friend of mine had their magazine last year with a 3 round mock before the draft and good heavens it was HORRENDOUS. They had 3rd rounders that were 6th rounders, and 1st rounders that were fourth rounders, I mean it was bad. I couldn't believe it.

I repeat, DO NOT listen to them, they don't have a CLUE what they're talking about. Any legitimate scouting source has Dalton labeled anywhere from a 3rd to, at the very very worst, a 5th.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 10, 2011 at 11:22 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Originally posted by E-49er:
I really like Andy Dalton. He is a very good prospect for Harbaugh's offense. He has a good arm, is very smart, accurate and has good mobility.

I wish someone made a highlight reel of this guy. Can't find a single one on youtube.

youtube has something against people with gingervitus
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Quote:
TCU’s Andy Dalton does not possess the upside of some of the other QB’s in the draft, but his leadership and consistency have value in their own right. While he too will need some work adjusting to a pro style attack, Dalton shows the leadership skills and accuracy to be a backup QB in the NFL. He has a decent arm and does just enough with his feet to make the play. He may not be the type of guy you take and hope in two or three years becomes a starter, but he’s the type who could be a backup for a long time in the NFL.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/prospects/qb.html
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:
TCU’s Andy Dalton does not possess the upside of some of the other QB’s in the draft, but his leadership and consistency have value in their own right. While he too will need some work adjusting to a pro style attack, Dalton shows the leadership skills and accuracy to be a backup QB in the NFL. He has a decent arm and does just enough with his feet to make the play. He may not be the type of guy you take and hope in two or three years becomes a starter, but he’s the type who could be a backup for a long time in the NFL.

I wouldn't put much, if any stock in that. I think that's the worst case scenario for Dalton.
I'd take a chance on him before I would Stanzi
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:

I wouldn't put much, if any stock in that. I think that's the worst case scenario for Dalton.

Quote:
On Dalton: McShay has concerns about his size (6-foot-1) and ability to throw consistently in the "intermediate and vertical" areas of the field. But, he believes Dalton is worthy of a third or fourth-round pick because he could be brought along on the cheap and turned into a solid backup or even an adequate starter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/37438/andy-dalton-and-his-draft-status
Dalton is a great value 3rd rounder. Might take a year to adjust to the NFL, but he is more ready than a LOT of bigger-named guys.

He is one of my favorite players in this draft, from a value perspective, and I think the Niners should wait for a QB like Dalton later in the draft than take a risk in the first. Just too many solid positional players who could help our team a lot at number seven.

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Dalton is my favorite QB in the draft. He probably isn't considered a 1st rounder, but IMO he is the most talented QB in the draft.

I agree with you on this one. Between Dalton or Stanzi. To me i see first round potential in them. Heck id be happier spending our 7th pick on either of them than on Mallett, Locker, or Gabbert. BUT Dalton probably more of a 2nd or 3rd and Stanzi probably a solid 3rd.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

DO NOT listen to Sporting news. They are absolutely HORRIBLE. They know NOTHING about the draft. A friend of mine had their magazine last year with a 3 round mock before the draft and good heavens it was HORRENDOUS. They had 3rd rounders that were 6th rounders, and 1st rounders that were fourth rounders, I mean it was bad. I couldn't believe it.

I repeat, DO NOT listen to them, they don't have a CLUE what they're talking about. Any legitimate scouting source has Dalton labeled anywhere from a 3rd to, at the very very worst, a 5th.

Yes, listen to OTC. Sporting News is most horrible!

Also, when you find your "guy" you take him and ignore others draft rankings. Kevin Kolb is a good example. He can be had for 2 first round choices now possibly and the Eagles were widely bashed for wasting a 2nd rounder on him.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Dalton is a great value 3rd rounder. Might take a year to adjust to the NFL, but he is more ready than a LOT of bigger-named guys.

He is one of my favorite players in this draft, from a value perspective, and I think the Niners should wait for a QB like Dalton later in the draft than take a risk in the first. Just too many solid positional players who could help our team a lot at number seven.

Yea, I agree. I see the top prospects being Bowers, Peterson, Green and Fairley. I hope one of those drops especially if a team reaches for a QB in the first six picks. If they go in the first six, then I expect one of these three player picked by us:

Dareus
Amukamara
Quinn

Where do you see Von Miller, Kerrigan and Clayborn?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

since i posted this i have been able to watch a little bit of film. the more i watch the more i like. i dont think he would be a day one started but i think he is a very smart guy who could really develope into a very good NFL QB. plus i really like the fact that he can move if in trouble.
Share 49ersWebzone