There are 46 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

TCU's QB Andy Dalton

Originally posted by submoa:
ya, u know there is everything to like about Ginger... but I saw his Mooch smack down interview on NFL NW and he was not all that sharp and I think Jimmy likes em a little more mentally quick than this... luv him, great kid, but not totally convinced he is our guy

i didnt see it, was he that bad? seemed cool on total access yesterday
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Quote:
Brady Henderson of 710ESPN Seattle quotes Trent Dilfer as saying Andy Dalton will be a first-round draft choice and a candidate for the Seahawks at No. 25 if available then.

Dilfer: "I can't tell you how much Aaron Rodgers I see in Andy Dalton. They have tremendously quick releases, they can throw from multiple foot platforms, meaning they can be off balance, very aggressive by nature, (they can) extend the play, and they understand the value of a completion. I think that's one of the biggest things in evaluating a quarterback that goes unnoticed is which guys understand the value of completing the football. It doesn't have to be glamorous all the time, but they're going to get a completion, they're going to move the chains and they're going to get completions in the biggest moments of games. That's what I see with Andy Dalton. If there's one guy in this draft -- if I was coaching -- that I would want to coach, it's Andy Dalton."

- Mike Sando

The more that I learn about Dalton, the more I like him. I think he'll be a very good NFL quarterback.

I respect Dilfer as a player, but I disagree with him a lot on his opinions over the past year or so as a pundit.

I just can't see Newton, Gabbert, Mallet, Stanzi, Dalton, Ponder, and Locker all going in the first 40 picks...which is what a lot of mocks have right now.

True, I agree. But you also have to remember that teams are operating under unusual circumstances this offseason. We may or may not have free agency this year and there are several QB needy teams! That should drive up the value of QBs in this year's draft.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
ya, u know there is everything to like about Ginger... but I saw his Mooch smack down interview on NFL NW and he was not all that sharp and I think Jimmy likes em a little more mentally quick than this... luv him, great kid, but not totally convinced he is our guy

Yeah, he didn't seem that sharp. He plays very poised and makes good decisions with the ball though. I've always envisioned him as a really bright guy, which he may be. He just didn't come across as a sharp X and O's guy when talking to Mooch. He seemed like a very mature guy though, as expected.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

No, it wasn't awful, just not as good as I thought he might be. Great kid, would not be disappointed if he ends up a 9er. Ponder would be better... and I think Jimmy has a decision on his hands if AD and Kap are both there in the 2nd round and Ponder is gone.
Quote:
Brady Henderson of 710ESPN Seattle quotes Trent Dilfer as saying Andy Dalton will be a first-round draft choice and a candidate for the Seahawks at No. 25 if available then.

Dilfer: "I can't tell you how much Aaron Rodgers I see in Andy Dalton. They have tremendously quick releases, they can throw from multiple foot platforms, meaning they can be off balance, very aggressive by nature, (they can) extend the play, and they understand the value of a completion. I think that's one of the biggest things in evaluating a quarterback that goes unnoticed is which guys understand the value of completing the football. It doesn't have to be glamorous all the time, but they're going to get a completion, they're going to move the chains and they're going to get completions in the biggest moments of games. That's what I see with Andy Dalton. If there's one guy in this draft -- if I was coaching -- that I would want to coach, it's Andy Dalton."

- Mike Sando

The more that I learn about Dalton, the more I like him. I think he'll be a very good NFL quarterback.

I respect Dilfer as a player, but I disagree with him a lot on his opinions over the past year or so as a pundit.

I just can't see Newton, Gabbert, Mallet, Stanzi, Dalton, Ponder, and Locker all going in the first 40 picks...which is what a lot of mocks have right now.

Stanzi is not going top 40. He might end up a third rounder due to the inflationary value of rookie QB's this year, but he is not generating any attention, and usually that means there is simply no interest in the top end of the draft.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Quote:

- Mike Sando

Stanzi is not going top 40. He might end up a third rounder due to the inflationary value of rookie QB's this year, but he is not generating any attention, and usually that means there is simply no interest in the top end of the draft.

A. You have no idea what NFL teams are thinking. None. Nobody does.

B. He's not generating any attention? Maybe that's because Iowa's pro-day was in the middle of the NFL owners meetings where all the coaches, gm's and owners spend the week yacking it up. Iowa is holding a 2nd pro-day because of this scheduling conflict on April 4th. Also, the 49ers, amongst others, have scheduled individual workouts with the kid in the coming month. And maybe, just maybe teams that really like a kid want to be hush hush about their interest in him? Just maybe though.

c. You've really gotta stop basing your opinion off of what the mass media dictates. I'm starting to wonder if you'll ever form your own opinion.
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Quote:

- Mike Sando

A. You have no idea what NFL teams are thinking. None. Nobody does.

B. He's not generating any attention? Maybe that's because Iowa's pro-day was in the middle of the NFL owners meetings where all the coaches, gm's and owners spend the week yacking it up. Iowa is holding a 2nd pro-day because of this scheduling conflict on April 4th. Also, the 49ers, amongst others, have scheduled individual workouts with the kid in the coming month. And maybe, just maybe teams that really like a kid want to be hush hush about their interest in him? Just maybe though.

c. You've really gotta stop basing your opinion off of what the mass media dictates. I'm starting to wonder if you'll ever form your own opinion.

Not to barge in, but I'm sure the opinion on Stanzi has more to do with what he's done on the field these past few years, rather than a couple months of what the media may or may not have said about him.

You guys have been arguing back and forth for a while, so you know as well as everyone else that the media attention has to be a pretty minimal factor for MD's opinion that Stanzi won't go Top 40...

I'm doubtful Stanzi goes in the Top 40 as well.
there is just no buzz for this guy at all... you hear about AD, CP, Kap, RM, BG, CN... me thinks stanzi is a third tier QB in the draft
I bet stanzi goes in the 5th
there is just no buzz for this guy at all... you hear about AD, CP, Kap, RM, BG, CN... me thinks stanzi is a third tier QB in the draft

A. All of those guys had pro-days with no nfl scheduling conflicts. Thus more media coverage. Media coverage = buzz.

B. Ya well you're basing Andy Daltons intelligence off of something he did in a 2 minute clip with Mooch. So what you think is holding ZERO weight.

A. All of those guys had pro-days with no nfl scheduling conflicts. Thus more media coverage. Media coverage = buzz.

B. Ya well you're basing Andy Daltons intelligence off of something he did in a 2 minute clip with Mooch. So what you think is holding ZERO weight.

While I understand your passion for the player, the reality is that there does not appear to be much interest in Stanzi as a high draftee. He appears to be a guy warranting mid-round interest. Now, that doesn't determine his future in the NFL. It just means at this stage of his career, he is a guy that isn't warranting much attention. I wouldn't take it personally, since the best two RB's on my board are rarely discussed as well.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 25, 2011 at 19:55:56 ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for SWAGG-ER.

While I understand your passion for the player, the reality is that there does not appear to be much interest in Stanzi as a high draftee. He appears to be a guy warranting mid-round interest. Now, that doesn't determine his future in the NFL. It just means at this stage of his career, he is a guy that isn't warranting much attention. I wouldn't take it personally, since the best two RB's on my board are rarely discussed as well.

Josh Freeman was rarely discussed until the week of the draft. He went in the 1st round.

McCoy and Clausen were discussed to no end. The fell to the 3rd and 2nd round respectively.

Just because the mass media doesn't discuss Stanzi, does not in ANY way mean that teams, NFL teams, aren't interested. Highly.

Perhaps the reason Stanzi isn't discussed as much, is because he has nothing that works against him? Think about it. All the mass media hyped qb's all have an issue that warrant discussing. For example:

Newton: 1yr wonder, headcase?, crazy athletic.

Gabbert: Spread qb, only qb to not workout at combine, poor mid to deep/3rd down accuracy.

Mallett: Slow, off field concerns.

Dalton: Ginger, soul-less, spread offense

Ponder: Injuries

Kaepernick: Not highly recruited, too long of a release, pistol offense

Locker: Terrible accuracy and sr. yr

So see, all of those guys have stuff that keeps them in the news. Stanzi? What's his biggest issue? Consistency? That's not as fun to talk about/ story worthy as what the other qb's offer. Especially when you have a Sr. year that has a 25:6 TD to INT ratio and an 8.71 YPA and 64% comp. The consistency argument doesn't hold much weight. Negative things make the news. Stories with no drama are dull. That's just a fact with American journalism.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I cut this to make it easier to read. I do not understand your critique of Dalton.

What do you mean by Ginger?

Is Ginger the guy who runs TCU's spread?

Why soul-less
?

He has been a winner, and most winners have soul.

The spread offense criticism might have some merit, but given the number teams in the college ranks that run the spread there does not seem to be much point in putting a lot of stress on it.
Originally posted by buck:

I cut this to make it easier to read. I do not understand your critique of Dalton.

Why soul-less
?

The spread offense criticism might have some merit, but given the number teams in the college ranks that run the spread there does not seem to be much point in putting a lot of stress on it.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

Why soul-less
?

Thanks. I have been out of the states for more than 10 years. Clearly, I have lost touch with current idiomatic expressions--and I have never seen South Park.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home