LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 313 users in the forums

TCU's QB Andy Dalton

Link Here...
If we could somehow trade down just a couple spots and land both Amukamara and Dalton, this draft would already be an A for the 49ers.
Gut feeling tells me Harbaugh is gonna bust some balls to get this guy. I see Baalke dealing with the Pats to trade up/swap for their #33 to get it done (Belichick loves trading down 1st/2nd picks in exchange for/stockpiling 3rd & 4th round picks).
I also think this kid is going to be a winner. I would be happy to land him.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If we could somehow trade down just a couple spots and land both Amukamara and Dalton, this draft would already be an A for the 49ers.

Sounds good, but how?

Trade down ~5 spots in the 1st - gain an additional 2nd/3rd
Trade back up ~late 1st/early 2nd - lose our 2nd and pick we got from the first trade

I guess a lot depends on whether Peterson or Miller are available. And if someone wants to trade up to get Bowers, Fairley, Newton, T. Smith, Green, or Jones.
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by submoa:
and the best part about Dalton is that he loves Jesus

I love Jesus too but you don't want me to be the QB of our team.

Kurt Warner loved Jesus, but he didn't want any part of our team.

Sing loves Jesus and not getting Kurt Warner helped get him fired.

Coffee loves jesus so much that he retired.

I love this exchange, lol

-9fA

I think we would stay at 7 and take whatever falls to us. Quinn is a OLB need. Peterson or Prince are a CB need. Even taking a NT is a huge need because it is the anchor of the 3-4. We can take the best player at 7. The closer we get to the draft I get hopeful that the Niners do what it takes to get Dalton. I agree it would be an A for me as well. Denver has #36 and and #46. We could switch some picks with them and give them additional help because after Their 46 pick they are done till the 6th???
This is nuts. Mooch gave Andy a branched-out/detailed sequence of the '2-Jet Z-Short Post', then distracted Andy with heavy personal questions, and in following (upon request) Dalton re-writes every piece of the play to EXACT DETAIL (only concept Andy forgets is the typical action Alex Smith does to a constant; RB-check-down-option) lol.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e85d27/Inside-the-combine-interview-Andy-Dalton

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Mar 29, 2011 at 17:25:47 ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
This is nuts. Mooch gave Andy a branched-out/detailed sequence of the '2-Jet Z-Short Post', then distracted Andy with heavy personal questions, and in following (upon request) Dalton re-writes every piece of the play to EXACT DETAIL (only concept Andy forgets is the typical action Alex Smith does to a constant; RB-check-down-option) lol.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e85d27/Inside-the-combine-interview-Andy-Dalton

great video, thanks for the link.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by submoa:
and the best part about Dalton is that he loves Jesus

I love Jesus too but you don't want me to be the QB of our team.

Kurt Warner loved Jesus, but he didn't want any part of our team.

Sing loves Jesus and not getting Kurt Warner helped get him fired.

Coffee loves jesus so much that he retired.

I love this exchange, lol

-9fA

I would love to draft this guy, is he worthy of a 2nd round pick? or will the third round be his place?
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I would love to draft this guy, is he worthy of a 2nd round pick? or will the third round be his place?

I think he is worthy of a 2nd round pick... You got to remember if the Panthers, Bills, Bengals, and Cardinals dont grab a QB in the 1st then they could grab one in the 2nd. Reaching for one will be a must especially mine as well think Seattle could grab Locker, Ponder, or Mallet with the 25th pick of the draft.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Anyone will be better than Alex Smith.

you must have been one of the guys shouting "We want Carr", huh?

-9fA

At that time, yes I was, along with almost all of 49er nation. I say Carr and Alex Smith are both garbage first round busts.

you make me sick

Good, in that case, all of candlestick park made you sick when the entire stadium was booing Alex Smith. My buddy was at that game and he left before the booing started. He said he could hear the boos from a half mile away after he left the parking lot. And he deserved each and every one of them.

I know a guy who's girlfriend's brother shares an apartment with a dude who thought about going to the game, and he said he didn't boo at all.

On a more serious note...Dalton has looked terrible in some workout video I've seen, but seems to be a great decision maker during games. I'd rather have that than a workout wonder. His appearance in the QB shootout, or whatever they called it, was somewhat comical.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 30, 2011 at 07:22:57 ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Dalton did OK, but did you see Gabbert on "game changers" with Mooch, BG is extremely intelligent, just contrast these two players with Mooch and IMO there is a big difference... that is not to say this intelligence translates during the play but BG was very impressive... protections are much more difficult to understand than coverages and BG showed a lot of depth of understanding in this area... I think AD is more of an instinctive player

[ Edited by submoa on Mar 30, 2011 at 07:27:16 ]

A couple scenarios may play out this way, especially if Tyron Smith has an outrageously successful Pro-Day today, and the Vikes, or Lions, or another OT starved team feel like the Cowboys may target him at 9.

Dropping to 12 or 13 may be a risk in landing Prince, but the guys sitting on the board in that spot (JJ Watt, Cam Jordan), are really good quality players (equal or better than the majority of top 10 projected players in the draft). I think Watt is a star in the making.

The Niners could use that extra pick to launch themselves back into the bottom half of the first round to grab the QB of their choice.

The whole thing comes down to seeing what is on the board at the time (if Peterson is there, forget it), and seeing if a team if interested in a trade up.
Share 49ersWebzone