LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Expect us to Land a Solid QB in the Draft

• titan
  • Veteran
I watched Iowa games and I like Stanzi! He stands in the pocket goes through his reads. When he does take some sack's it's because of protection breakdows. I don't mind some of Stanzis sack's cause he is standing tall in the pocket and waiting for the play to develop instead of booking to run. That is why he is a good candidate for WCO.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by titan:
I watched Iowa games and I like Stanzi! He stands in the pocket goes through his reads. When he does take some sack's it's because of protection breakdows. I don't mind some of Stanzis sack's cause he is standing tall in the pocket and waiting for the play to develop instead of booking to run. That is why he is a good candidate for WCO.

Okay but if he can stand in the pocket that is cool but you need to be able to escape pressure if your pressure breaks down instead of taking sacks.

Uh, yeah just like Montana and Young "stood tall" and stayed in the pocket and took a sack.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Stanzi is somewhat of a poor man's Carson Palmer, really. He can be good, but he can make some very questionable decisions at times for no apparent reason.

LOL Cmon poor mans Carson Palmer is a huge stretch with Stanzi. Maybe Dalton or Gabbert could be but Stanzi is a Ken Dorsey clone. From arm strength to decsion making he the exact same QB lol. The only differences is Dorsey never almost tanked a season or played horrible in his Bowl games. Other than those theyre the same exact player in almost every way.

Like I said you couldn't be more wrong. Stanzi has a much stronger arm than Dorsey does. Much more mobile, can throw on the run, only thing is I'd have to give Dorsey the nod over decision making. Both have good pocket presence and stand tall in the pocket, only thing Stanzi has much better deep ball accuracy. The knock on Dorsey was obviously arm-strength and weight, two things that Stanzi has, well his arm-strength is good enough to make all the necessary throws in the NFL.

This coming from the biggest Ken Dorsey fan on this board or Website.

I've watched Stanzi and he is far from mobile and yea the NCAA factors in sack yardage into QB rushing but when your numbers look like this it is hard to say he is very mobile

Rushing Stats
YEAR TEAM ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LOST
2007 IOWA 1 13 13.0 13 0 0 0 0
2008 IOWA 56 20 0.4 20 0 0 0 0
2009 IOWA 55 -31 -0.6 13 0 0 0 0
2010 IOWA 48 -6 -0.1 26 2 0 0 0

Why do insist on posting stats?? If you've watched him enough, you'd know he is mobile enough to escape a pass rush.

sfout, you do realize they calculate sack yardage into the rushing total, right? Those stats mean absolutely nothing. Zilch.

You're not going to convince any of us who have watched him play PLENTY and know for a fact, having seen with our own eyes, he's mobile. We're not even saying Stanzi is a great QB or even good.. but mobile? Yes. Yes, he is.

HUGE Iowa fan Thorhawk agrees, I agree, and Kolohe agrees. I'm sure there are many more.

If you would read my entire post instead of just being mad that I don't like the guy you like you would have read "YES THE NCAA FACTORS IN SACK YARDAGE INTO YPA RUSH FOR QB BUT THAT JUST INDICATES HOW OFTEN HE IS SACKED AND DOESNT ESCAPE PRESSURE"

wow a lot of people get butt hurt when people go to stats and quote critiques of the guy when they say "he doesn't have a big arm but can make most throws required in the nfl"

I admittedly hate Stanzi but will admit that he is a decent QB but not who I want for the 9ers based on his inconsistency, bad decision making, statue-esque play and lack of arm strength.

EDIT: If the 9ers wanted to play it safe on QB draft in the middle rounds Stanzi is the guy but come on you are going to tell me he is the best QB available after all the first rounders are gone? God he is even better than Locker but not Dalton.

NO I DIDN'T READ IT BECAUSE I QUICKLY SKIMMED AND MISSED YOUR INITIAL STATEMENT. I blame the Ravens game getting distracted.

Back to the point... The only issue I'm touching on is Stanzi's mobility. I've watched him play plenty. Regardless of what the stats say, he is mobile.

Now -- is Dalton better? I personally believe so. Absolutely. As a tremendous TCU supporter, I am greatly in favor of drafting Dalton, who from time to time has some designed runs. He grades out as a late 3rd rounder, while Stanzi is more of a 5th round prospect.

I'm certainly not one who's going to sit here and say Stanzi is better. I like Stanzi, but I like Dalton much more. I have no problem with you disliking Stanzi. I'm just saying you can't use statistics to try to prove he is mobile to a crowd of folks who have personally watched him play.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
65 sacks and a negative rush YPA after yardage is factored in is not a mobile qb. Why would we draft him when we could draft Dalton who is also a pro style qb with fewer sacks(60 in 4 years) and has a 4.0 YPA rushing average and also has better TD to INT ratio
Dalton 71 TD to 30 INT
Stanzi 56 TD to 31 INT

Really what is your rational option on a QB who's teams best year(last years near undefeated) run came at the expense of him having his worst year of the 3 he has started???? That absolutely screams that he is the weak link and not a quality qb....

I was going to write a long post, but I decided against when I realized that nothing I could say was going to make a difference to you.

By all means go ahead; to me when people say things like that it just means you can't back up your claims. Seriously prove to me he is more mobile than Dalton, Devlin or Ponder. What makes him a better mobile quarterback than them? Numbers are fact, they are there for a reason. If he is sacked 20+ times in 12 games in college just imagine how bad he would get crucified behind our line.
I never argued he was more mobile than those other guys. I simply disagreed with your assessment that he is immobile.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Stanzi is somewhat of a poor man's Carson Palmer, really. He can be good, but he can make some very questionable decisions at times for no apparent reason.

LOL Cmon poor mans Carson Palmer is a huge stretch with Stanzi. Maybe Dalton or Gabbert could be but Stanzi is a Ken Dorsey clone. From arm strength to decsion making he the exact same QB lol. The only differences is Dorsey never almost tanked a season or played horrible in his Bowl games. Other than those theyre the same exact player in almost every way.

Like I said you couldn't be more wrong. Stanzi has a much stronger arm than Dorsey does. Much more mobile, can throw on the run, only thing is I'd have to give Dorsey the nod over decision making. Both have good pocket presence and stand tall in the pocket, only thing Stanzi has much better deep ball accuracy. The knock on Dorsey was obviously arm-strength and weight, two things that Stanzi has, well his arm-strength is good enough to make all the necessary throws in the NFL.

I've watched Stanzi and he is far from mobile and yea the NCAA factors in sack yardage into QB rushing but when your numbers look like this it is hard to say he is very mobile

Rushing Stats

Why do insist on posting stats?? If you've watched him enough, you'd know he is mobile enough to escape a pass rush.

sfout, you do realize they calculate sack yardage into the rushing total, right? Those stats mean absolutely nothing. Zilch.

You're not going to convince any of us who have watched him play PLENTY and know for a fact, having seen with our own eyes, he's mobile. We're not even saying Stanzi is a great QB or even good.. but mobile? Yes. Yes, he is.

HUGE Iowa fan Thorhawk agrees, I agree, and Kolohe agrees. I'm sure there are many more.

If you would read my entire post instead of just being mad that I don't like the guy you like you would have read "YES THE NCAA FACTORS IN SACK YARDAGE INTO YPA RUSH FOR QB BUT THAT JUST INDICATES HOW OFTEN HE IS SACKED AND DOESNT ESCAPE PRESSURE"

wow a lot of people get butt hurt when people go to stats and quote critiques of the guy when they say "he doesn't have a big arm but can make most throws required in the nfl"

I admittedly hate Stanzi but will admit that he is a decent QB but not who I want for the 9ers based on his inconsistency, bad decision making, statue-esque play and lack of arm strength.

EDIT: If the 9ers wanted to play it safe on QB draft in the middle rounds Stanzi is the guy but come on you are going to tell me he is the best QB available after all the first rounders are gone? God he is even better than Locker but not Dalton.

NO I DIDN'T READ IT BECAUSE I QUICKLY SKIMMED AND MISSED YOUR INITIAL STATEMENT. I blame the Ravens game getting distracted.

Back to the point... The only issue I'm touching on is Stanzi's mobility. I've watched him play plenty. Regardless of what the stats say, he is mobile.

Now -- is Dalton better? I personally believe so. Absolutely. As a tremendous TCU supporter, I am greatly in favor of drafting Dalton, who from time to time has some designed runs. He grades out as a late 3rd rounder, while Stanzi is more of a 5th round prospect.

I'm certainly not one who's going to sit here and say Stanzi is better. I like Stanzi, but I like Dalton much more. I have no problem with you disliking Stanzi. I'm just saying you can't use statistics to try to prove he is mobile to a crowd of folks who have personally watched him play.

Thank sir, I am not trying to put down Stanzi I just don't see a lot of the near "blind faith" posts saying Stanzi is the man really having any substance or fact to them and wanted to get it out there that he is not as mobile as some people are saying.

65 sacks and a negative rush YPA after yardage is factored in is not a mobile qb. Why would we draft him when we could draft Dalton who is also a pro style qb with fewer sacks(60 in 4 years) and has a 4.0 YPA rushing average and also has better TD to INT ratio
Dalton 71 TD to 30 INT
Stanzi 56 TD to 31 INT

Really what is your rational option on a QB who's teams best year(last years near undefeated) run came at the expense of him having his worst year of the 3 he has started???? That absolutely screams that he is the weak link and not a quality qb....

I was going to write a long post, but I decided against when I realized that nothing I could say was going to make a difference to you.

By all means go ahead; to me when people say things like that it just means you can't back up your claims. Seriously prove to me he is more mobile than Dalton, Devlin or Ponder. What makes him a better mobile quarterback than them? Numbers are fact, they are there for a reason. If he is sacked 20+ times in 12 games in college just imagine how bad he would get crucified behind our line.
I never argued he was more mobile than those other guys. I simply disagreed with your assessment that he is immobile.

That's cool dude, all good. I just wanted counter-points, not just a "naw uh he is mobile" type of retort. I also admitted I would be okay with the 9ers picking him but he is not my #1.
  • titan
  • Veteran
I understand your point, but some Qb's only scramble to the scrimmage line and it's not consider a sack, but it's still a no gain! I can't take the sack's away, but a good Offensive coordinator can coach him up and can easily get him to dump it to an outlet receiver. The big picture that everyone is looking at is how much work will Stanzi need in a WCO. If you look at his strength vs. improvement needs, his strength outweighs his weaknesses.

Rushing Stats

Thank sir, I am not trying to put down Stanzi I just don't see a lot of the near "blind faith" posts saying Stanzi is the man really having any substance or fact to them and wanted to get it out there that he is not as mobile as some people are saying.

Dalton 71 TD to 30 INT
Stanzi 56 TD to 31 INT

That's cool dude, all good. I just wanted counter-points, not just a "naw uh he is mobile" type of retort. I also admitted I would be okay with the 9ers picking him but he is not my #1.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I understand your point, but some Qb's only scramble to the scrimmage line and it's not consider a sack, but it's still a no gain! I can't take the sack's away, but a good Offensive coordinator can coach him up and can easily get him to dump it to an outlet receiver. The big picture that everyone is looking at is how much work will Stanzi need in a WCO. If you look at his strength vs. improvement needs, his strength outweighs his weaknesses.

Yea that is why I would eventually be okay with him if we drafted him but I just feel there are more consistent options this year and would hope that we take the best one.

For the record I also don't want Locker or Ponder because Locker hasn't shown a lot of progress with his reads and patience and Ponder is an injury waiting to happen with a history of concussions already developing and the injuries to the shoulder and elbow of his throwing arm
  • titan
  • Veteran
^ Ponder is so up and down! I can't have another QB like him.

Arm strength lol He has decent college arm strength but weak NFL arm strength. His deep hangers in college will get picked off. Half his passes hang n sail in the air for cripes sakes! The guy has a weak arm and if he didnt he would be rated higher by every scout and draft magazine. There is alot of tape of his weak arm. Up until this past season he was rated a UDFA this while he had great defense and stellar ground games to bail him out. Like his bowl games and each season he started. I cant wait till the Senior Bowl and combine so all talk of Stanzi being drafted in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th goes far, far away. He is the next Ken Dorsey. Alot of you guys are showing way way too much "boomer pat white love" on Stanzi. Which is beyond me cause he isnt a very good prospect. Weak arm, bad decsions, inaccurate, and he was never a major factor in any bowl game which is gonna kill his stock.

Theres way to many good QBs who can make every NFL not college throw to be liking Stanzi on the 49ers.
The thing that i think is getting mixed up is that although Harbaugh had a higher grade on those QB's (Garrard, Romo) than where they went in the draft, if he KNEW a guy could turn into something special, even if other teams didn't agree and that guy was flying under the radar, we'd probably be drafting him early. He's not gonna let his guy sit on the board till the 2rd or 3rd round, he's gonna scoop him up when he gets the chance.
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:
The thing that i think is getting mixed up is that although Harbaugh had a higher grade on those QB's (Garrard, Romo) than where they went in the draft, if he KNEW a guy could turn into something special, even if other teams didn't agree and that guy was flying under the radar, we'd probably be drafting him early. He's not gonna let his guy sit on the board till the 2rd or 3rd round, he's gonna scoop him up when he gets the chance.

Possibly. It depends if he and Baalke can forecast that they'll last to a certain point before they pull the trigger.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Arm strength lol He has decent college arm strength but weak NFL arm strength. His deep hangers in college will get picked off. Half his passes hang n sail in the air for cripes sakes! The guy has a weak arm and if he didnt he would be rated higher by every scout and draft magazine. There is alot of tape of his weak arm. Up until this past season he was rated a UDFA this while he had great defense and stellar ground games to bail him out. Like his bowl games and each season he started. I cant wait till the Senior Bowl and combine so all talk of Stanzi being drafted in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th goes far, far away. He is the next Ken Dorsey. Alot of you guys are showing way way too much "boomer pat white love" on Stanzi. Which is beyond me cause he isnt a very good prospect. Weak arm, bad decsions, inaccurate, and he was never a major factor in any bowl game which is gonna kill his stock.

Theres way to many good QBs who can make every NFL not college throw to be liking Stanzi on the 49ers.

Wow that's the first I've heard, his college arm won't translate to the Pro's. LOL. I remember back in 2003 when Ken Dorsey was a rookie, and while playing the Saint's in Preseason he hit Justin Skaggs for a 16 yard deep out. And everyone knows that if you're gonna play QB in this league, you gotta have enough arm-strength to hit a receiver on a deep out. Now, whether Dorsey could do it on a consistent basis was another question, but in the end Dorsey had enough arm strength to win a game in the NFL. With Stanzi, I don't know how much more times I need to repeat myself that he has more than enough arm strenth to make all the necessary throws in the NFL. Be it a deep out, deep in, hitch, deep post, I have no doubt he can make all those throws. I just don't know how you people can come to the conclusion that he won't be able to pass in the NFL when its right in front of your face that he can.

LOL, he was never a factor in any Bowl game Iowa has played in. Nevermind he threw for 231 yards with 2 TD's. Or his Sophomore year throwing for 13/19 147 yards and 1 TD, again Sophomore year. Sure, he doesn't get credit for ALL his wins or Bowl game wins, but he does show he can come back from adversity and guide his team to a W.

And I don't know where your getting this "he was rated as a UDFA up until this past season", that's the first I've heard. But regardless, this year hes shown he can in fact improve in a system if given the time to.

But IMO, I could careless where hes drafted, draft position doesn't equal how that player will perform when given the chance. All I care about is how he performs when given the chance.
Also Stanzi has been sacked 65 times over 3 years. I am going to underline this so everyone will be able to read this!

RICKY STANZI IS NOT MOBILE IN THE SMALLEST SENSE OF THE WORD!!!!

Don't know how much times this video has to be posted but......

Fast forward to the 1:00 mark

If that's not mobility, I don't know what is. Just because a QB prefers to stay in the pocket till the last second most of the time does not make him immobile. BTW, look how he rolls outta the pocket and passes, watch him evade the pass rush, all defined under mobility.

As I was watching that video, I kept seeing Rodgers. Not in terms of arm strength or decision making, but in his demeanor in the pocket, the way he throws, how he rolls out and escapes pressure. It is like I am watching Rodgers. I guess it helps that Stanzi is wearing #12.

Overall, I am rooting for the 49ers to draft Dalton and/or Stanzi in the mid to late rounds. I only watched Dalton in the Fiesta Bowl, but just something about him that makes me think he at least has the intangibles and can be coached.
Share 49ersWebzone