There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Expect us to Land a Solid QB in the Draft

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by JDeezy:
I'm very encouraged after hearing about this yesterday and well as today. We often discuss the top picks, but there are certainly sleepers who make a difference. This allows us to fill a need at 7 if Harbaugh doesn't like the other QB's there. We don't have to reach for a quarterback. He can evaluate middle round talent well and mold that talent. We can take a Prince Amukamara or Marcell Dareus, Akeem Ayers, someone of that ilk at 7 and look at other guys. Anyone have an opinion of Devlin, does he fit as a WCO quarterback or is he not mobile enough?

Devlin struggles under pressure and hesitates to make decisions under duress. Probably the reason he only had three picks this year is because he just won't throw it. He'll take the sack or barely get it off just about every time. He operates highly out of the shotgun or the pistol formation.

That said, throwing the ball, he's downright stellar. He makes his reads fast and has pinpoint accuracy when he has time. It's just.. with our line? I don't know I'd want to throw him back there. His mobility though -- while he's not stonelegged, he's not very quick either. Seems stiff when he has to shift in the pocket. I also question his leadership abilities. I didn't see much fire out of him at all last night when they needed a drive to win.

I rate Colin Kaepernick as a much better option. Higher competition, outstanding leader, huge arm, great running ability to escape the pressure, and in Nevada's pistol set, it's a slightly easier transition to being behind center than from straight-up shotgun, because the back is behind you. Kaeper takes pretty good care of the ball as well as far as INT's. I'll be focusing on how he protects it when he runs in their bowl game tomorrow - Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl at 9 EST.

Glad to see there is another Kaepernick supporter in this thread. Statistically he is a monster and probably just as athletic as Newton or Denard Robinson. That is a good point about the Pistol formation setting him up for a smoother transition to the pros. I'll be watching that game as well.

A small disclaimer for me is that I am completely against the idea of drafting a QB at #7 and that we should go for the best of Amukamara, Miller or Quinn. With every QB in this year in this draft class having fairly massive question marks attached we should take the most skilled impact player on defense first, and then look at where guys like Kaepernick and Dalton are slated to go and even if it means reaching a round earlier we need to make sure we snag one of them up. Stanzi is not that mobile and does not have a very big arm and the last post said it that Devlin could get crucified behind a suspect OL. Definitely making my two favorite QBs in the middle rounds Dalton and Kaepernick.

[ Edited by sfout on Jan 8, 2011 at 19:31:18 ]
Originally posted by strickac:
^ Dareus will stay at 3-4 DE. He's a beast there. NT would be a waste of his talent.
^ Dareus will stay at 3-4 DE. He's a beast there. NT would be a waste of his talent.

Not so in the least, my friend. Either or, really. He has experience in both areas of Alabama's 3-4. And he's certainly not too small to be NT. If there ever were a Ratliff type, Dareus is. Although he's a little bigger and stouter than Ratliff.

Dareus is a beast everywhere.

Not so in the least, my friend. Either or, really. He has experience in both areas of Alabama's 3-4. And he's certainly not too small to be NT. If there ever were a Ratliff type, Dareus is. Although he's a little bigger and stouter than Ratliff.

He's a terror on the edge. I'd hate to see him forced inside in the 3-4. In the 4-3, sure, that'll be his home.

He's a terror on the edge. I'd hate to see him forced inside in the 3-4. In the 4-3, sure, that'll be his home.

I'd be very happy wherever we chose to use him. It's however we see it sets up best on the front. If we were to grab Dareus, they might decide we're better off trying a Sopoaga/Jean-Francois combo inside, with Dareus on the outside.

Whatever we chose to do -- if we landed Marcel -- I'd trust it would work out just fine. Now if we landed Fairley (highly unlikely I'd say at this point.. he figures to go in the top 5), he would strictly be an End in our system.
I like Fairley, but I think Dareus is safer pick and would be a stud opposite J Smith. I agree that Soap/RJF would double the NT duties.

I know most have Fairley going before Dareus, but I think Dareus is the better of the two.

I'd be very happy wherever we chose to use him. It's however we see it sets up best on the front. If we were to grab Dareus, they might decide we're better off trying a Sopoaga/Jean-Francois combo inside, with Dareus on the outside.

Whatever we chose to do -- if we landed Marcel -- I'd trust it would work out just fine. Now if we landed Fairley (highly unlikely I'd say at this point.. he figures to go in the top 5), he would strictly be an End in our system.

would you prefer a top CB or DL this year? because he have been so good against the run and so bad against the pass I'm am wanting a CB badly
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I'd take Amukamara without hesitation if he was still there at #7 -- Our front 7 could improve but our secondary is horrendous. Our front 7/pass rush would be able to make more plays, cause sacks and fumbles if we have a shut down corner that forces the qb to wait longer to let go.
Originally posted by jreff22:

would you prefer a top CB or DL this year? because he have been so good against the run and so bad against the pass I'm am wanting a CB badly

CB. If we want a top CB, we'll have to look at one early, because the class is not very deep. The DL is. At the same time, we lack consistent pass rush to help our corners out.

I don't think it matters all that much which way we go, if we pick the right guys. We could easily land a great CB, NT, and OLB combination in the first three rounds if we chose to do so. But we'd have to neglect other positions such as QB, WR, OL, and RB complement.

We'll see what happens in FA.

CB. If we want a top CB, we'll have to look at one early, because the class is not very deep. The DL is. At the same time, we lack consistent pass rush to help our corners out.

I don't think it matters all that much which way we go, if we pick the right guys. We could easily land a great CB, NT, and OLB combination in the first three rounds if we chose to do so. But we'd have to neglect other positions such as QB, WR, OL, and RB complement.

what are your knocks agasint Peterson and Prince...any preferences between them

what are your knocks agasint Peterson and Prince...any preferences between them

Peterson, while extremely fast, is not as fluid in the hips as Amukamara is. Prince locks on his man and takes him out of the play very quickly. Peterson probably would excel in a zone scheme because of his recovery speed, but he can often times get beat on double-moves. He has big-play potential though and can be physical (sometimes overly physical).

He has the higher ceiling, arguably, while Prince is easily the more polished product. The only knock I could say with Prince is that every once and a while he might get fooled by an extremely well executed misdirection play, and receivers with elite speed -- if they can get off his jam -- could beat him, but you could say this with any Corner.

With both these corners, it's obvious they're extremely talented, but teams might wonder how much their defensive lines helped them. I still project Prince as the best corner because QB's are terrified to go to his side of the field and really don't even bother, while other teams don't mind taking shots at Peterson.
there are 3 guys I would love to have at 7, Peterson, Amukamara and Marcell Dareus.

Dareus has a high motor and like OTC said, he can play DE or NT and would flourish. And not a given he would play just NT he could rotate between DE and NT.

Obvious we need a NT and DE opposite Justin Smith, but I wouldnt mind Darues at either spot.
We have a better chance to land the right QB or a temporary solution this year. Because of Harbaugh. He sees and knows a good QB when he watches one. And he can develop one. I just don't want Baalke's paws anwhere near that decision. He should defer QB to Harbaugh who is in a much better position to make the right choice for us.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We have a better chance to land the right QB or a temporary solution this year. Because of Harbaugh. He sees and knows a good QB when he watches one. And he can develop one. I just don't want Baalke's paws anwhere near that decision. He should defer QB to Harbaugh who is in a much better position to make the right choice for us.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves however. I am sure like any QB guru, they are wrong at times. While there is a good chance we find a QB we can develop into a solid starter in either this class or the next (barring us take the FA/trade approach), there is also a chance albeit not a huge chance, that we miss out on our guy too or pick the wrong one.

I think Baalke will defer to Harbaugh on the QB position, however they will construct the draft board together and where and what each QB's value will be. Baalke will likely feed his 2 cents into the equation and have his hand in everything else but Harbaugh's opinion will likely weigh the heaviest when it comes to the QB.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

You act like Baalke knows nothing about scouting. How condescending. The guy has been a well respected scout by some great football minds, so please don't about Baalke as if he is a novice.

Baalke and Harbaugh will work together. That has been the plan since the beginning. If Harbaugh didn't trust Baalke's judgment he would have demanded some personnel control, which he didn't.