LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 422 users in the forums

Who will be the 1st QB off the board now?

With Luck out of the running, which QB will be picked first?

The guys with the highest stocks are Newton, Gabbert, Mallett, and Locker.

[ Edited by statman on Jan 6, 2011 at 12:20:00 ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Cam Newton and Auburn wins the championship with a bang, and it would make him THE first overall pick...
Originally posted by 9moon:
Cam Newton and Auburn wins the championship with a bang, and it would make him THE first overall pick...

you must be new to football..

Gabbert and Locker are 1 and 2, the wild card will be Mallet and how he performs in the combine and pro days, with really strong showings he could jump ahead of one or both of these guys....Newton will be the 4th off the board, but still a likely 1st round pick..

When there was a possibility at a QB like Luck for the #1 pick, ain't no way CAR now picks a QB at that spot. When you have the number 1 pick, you don't settle for sloppy seconds. They will acquire a top player at a position other than QB. Settling for what would have been the 2nd QB at #1 would not be a good environment for that QB when he's playing in CAR.

I think the most legitimate option for them now is to trade the pick to a team that was planning on getting one of the other QB's as their pick. Them knowing that they won't get that QB unless it is a #1 pick may entice them to trade for that pick as they were probably preparing the team for that QB.

[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 6, 2011 at 12:45:18 ]
Gabbert to Car?
Neuton to Buff?
Originally posted by MaliCali:

Gabbert and Locker are 1 and 2, the wild card will be Mallet and how he performs in the combine and pro days, with really strong showings he could jump ahead of one or both of these guys....Newton will be the 4th off the board, but still a likely 1st round pick..

In a lot of recent mock drafts the order was Luck, Newton, Mallet, Locker, Gabbert. And then Gabbert seems to have jumped a bit since declaring. Newton has to be admired for finding way to win, and ignoring the media circus - but will have the negatives Sanchez has regards games started at top level. There has rarely been a prospect with his rushing average, passing accuracy, and winning record so I'd still expect him first now - IF he doesn't stay in school too.

I do think it makes Panthers more likely to give Clausen a chance, and look to make improvements elsewhere - possibly Da'quan.
With Luck out, it'll be interesting to see who emerges as the #1 QB.

I think Mallett and Dalton are the safest picks. Gabbert, Newton and Locker are wildcards. I wouldn't put any in the Top-5, but we'll certainly see them go early due to needs. Luck carried this QB class. Without him, we're left with a lot of guys with big question marks. I'd hate to be looking for my franchise QB out of this bunch.

I don't claim to be an expert, but from what I've seen, this is how I feel about some the more talked about prospects.

1. Mallett: Arm is too good to pass up.
2. Dalton: Haven't seen too much of him, but he's smooth and smart. Safe pick.
3. Newton: Not the best passer, but he'll get by on his strength and mobility.
4. Gabbert: Good potential, but I think he'll really struggle coming from the spread.
5. Stanzi: Very efficient and will get a chance to impress at Senior Bowl
6. Locker: All the physical tools, but unable to meet expectations.
7. Devlin: Great arm and size, but plays very conservative. Nice ceiling.
8. Kaepernick: Great size and poise. A little raw, but I like his upside.
9. Ponder: Damaged goods? Poor final season, elbow injury scares me.

If Pryor comes out, I'd put him up there ahead of Mallett and would be comfortable drafting him as my franchise QB. With Luck out, maybe this triggers Pryor to jump to the NFL. We'll see...

[ Edited by strickac on Jan 6, 2011 at 17:09:43 ]
Strikac--

If Pryor comes out, you'd rate him as your #1 QB? And consider him a franchise QB?

CHRIST.
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
Strikac--

If Pryor comes out, you'd rate him as your #1 QB? And consider him a franchise QB?

CHRIST.

Hell yeah, I would.

This draft class is weak at QB. Come on, people are hailing Locker and Gabbert as Top-10 picks, for lack of better options.

Pryor is one of the most talented players in college football. He's very quick and mobile. Plus, he's actually pretty accurate and has a strong arm. He plays from under center and has a rare ability to keep plays alive. He's young too. There's a lot to like in Pryor.
I actually saw quite a few miock drafts that had Blaine Gabbert being the 2nd qb taken when everyone thought Luck was coming out so I think he would probably be viewed as the #1 QB prospect.

Newton or Mallet.
Its gotta be Newton, especially if he lights it up monday.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Newton has yet to declare, but if he does, I think he'd be the first off the board.
i love trolls...NOW, the panthers would consider to trade down but nobody wants to trade up...furthermore, the panthers have a BIG hole at DT which means that they will draft a DT with their 1st ovr.

ontopic: newton will be the 1st qb off the board if he plays a nice bowl.

[ Edited by communist on Jan 6, 2011 at 19:09:59 ]
Originally posted by MaliCali:

Umm, if you think Locker is going to be the second QB taken, you have no place to talk.
Share 49ersWebzone