LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Who will be the 1st QB off the board now?

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
easy for me to say.

Locker, Mallett, Newton and Devlin in that order, then Stanzi and Ponder.

Gabbert is so friggin overrated. He is Alex Smith Part 2.

I agree with all of the above except I'd rate Stanzi and Ponder ahead of Devlin.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Cam Newton and Auburn wins the championship with a bang, and it would make him THE first overall pick...
i love trolls...NOW, the panthers would consider to trade down but nobody wants to trade up...furthermore, the panthers have a BIG hole at DT which means that they will draft a DT with their 1st ovr.

ontopic: newton will be the 1st qb off the board if he plays a nice bowl.

How is he trolling?? Didn't know having an opinion of a QB was considered trolling.

I actually agree with him a little, it certainly would help boost his stock that's for sure.
newton 1st ovr??? cam has to play the best bowl-game of all time and he is still a one-year-wonder.
i do understand that desperate franchises reach for a QB but that's way too much. i would consider to spend some money on a veteran qb and a qb-friendly coaching staff instead.

The one-year wonder part you do have a point, but IMO, teams will look at all the things he can do as a QB. Has good measurables, athletic, leadership, accuracy, arm-strength and very mobile. Offers much more than what Mallet and Gabbert have to offer. If he doesn't go #1 overall another position will, but I'd have to say he'd be the first QB off the board, and I'm not even that big of a Cam Newton fan, its just what I feel.
Cam Newton and Auburn wins the championship with a bang, and it would make him THE first overall pick...
i love trolls...NOW, the panthers would consider to trade down but nobody wants to trade up...furthermore, the panthers have a BIG hole at DT which means that they will draft a DT with their 1st ovr.

How is he trolling?? Didn't know having an opinion of a QB was considered trolling.

I actually agree with him a little, it certainly would help boost his stock that's for sure.
newton 1st ovr??? cam has to play the best bowl-game of all time and he is still a one-year-wonder.
i do understand that desperate franchises reach for a QB but that's way too much. i would consider to spend some money on a veteran qb and a qb-friendly coaching staff instead.

The one-year wonder part you do have a point, but IMO, teams will look at all the things he can do as a QB. Has good measurables, athletic, leadership, accuracy, arm-strength and very mobile. Offers much more than what Mallet and Gabbert have to offer. If he doesn't go #1 overall another position will, but I'd have to say he'd be the first QB off the board, and I'm not even that big of a Cam Newton fan, its just what I feel.

I think Vince Young comparisons wont help him
  • dj43
Originally posted by Joecool:

When there was a possibility at a QB like Luck for the #1 pick, ain't no way CAR now picks a QB at that spot. When you have the number 1 pick, you don't settle for sloppy seconds. They will acquire a top player at a position other than QB. Settling for what would have been the 2nd QB at #1 would not be a good environment for that QB when he's playing in CAR.

I think the most legitimate option for them now is to trade the pick to a team that was planning on getting one of the other QB's as their pick. Them knowing that they won't get that QB unless it is a #1 pick may entice them to trade for that pick as they were probably preparing the team for that QB.
Trade or select Green. Smith is getting old and may not be there next year. Clausen needs targets.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Hopefully not Gabbert. I want him in a SF jersey.
  • dj43
Originally posted by txniner2:
I just hope we dont draft Locker, in the first round anyway,he scares me, but maybe with the right coaching he could be good.

This makes it very unlikely the 49ers would use the 1st round pick for a QB. If a couple of QBs are already gone by then, (likely) to reach for a QB at that point would be huge waste of value. Better to go BPA and get a QB in the 2nd where value is better.

All this talk about getting a QB just drives me crazy. It just brings back all the ways we screwed up the Smith pick and now he doesn't even want to play for us if we asked. Even now, he is the best option for the next year or two.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by spizzy:

I think Vince Young comparisons wont help him

Vince Young is a pretty good comparison. But I think Newton is much more elusive, has a quicker release and doesn't shy away from contact. IMO, Cam Newton would be a real good fit in Carolina with his athleticism and their running game.
Originally posted by MaliCali:

you must be new to football..

Gabbert and Locker are 1 and 2, the wild card will be Mallet and how he performs in the combine and pro days, with really strong showings he could jump ahead of one or both of these guys....Newton will be the 4th off the board, but still a likely 1st round pick..

No, you must be new to football, NFL teams fall in love with qb's that win championships and are highley touted. Vince young wasnt a top ten pick let alone a top five before his storybook ending at texas. I wouldnt be surprised at all if newton has a big game and auburn wins and some team reaches for him in the draft, and him going off the board 4th is just insane, I'd bet my paycheck he wont be the 4th qb taken, sorry but your wrong here.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by txniner2:
I just hope we dont draft Locker, in the first round anyway,he scares me, but maybe with the right coaching he could be good.

This makes it very unlikely the 49ers would use the 1st round pick for a QB. If a couple of QBs are already gone by then, (likely) to reach for a QB at that point would be huge waste of value. Better to go BPA and get a QB in the 2nd where value is better.

All this talk about getting a QB just drives me crazy. It just brings back all the ways we screwed up the Smith pick and now he doesn't even want to play for us if we asked. Even now, he is the best option for the next year or two.

After what we've seen from Baalke, I bet we trade up and grab the QB we want.
easy for me to say.

I agree with all of the above except I'd rate Stanzi and Ponder ahead of Devlin.

I agree, seriouly, where the hell did all this blaine gabbert talk come from, dude was out of shape, inaacurate and eratic, and thats just in college, yet I see mocks with him as the first qb off the board, over mallet or newton, thats lunacy.

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
easy for me to say.

I agree, seriouly, where the hell did all this blaine gabbert talk come from, dude was out of shape, inaacurate and eratic, and thats just in college, yet I see mocks with him as the first qb off the board, over mallet or newton, thats lunacy.

the out of shape and innacurate is completely false...dude is the real deal.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
easy for me to say.

Do you have facts to back these claims up??? Stanzi is less accurate then Devlin and yes he also has worse completion percentage than Devlin as well.

Gabbert is on the top because of his intangibles and his ability to carry his team with arm and leadership. During the bowl game when they had zero running game he had to do everything himself and nearly won the game. Also how was he out of shape? His mobility is part of his up sides, he plays through pain and can physically keep pace with the speed of the game.

Mallett has the infamous "character issue" stigma attached to him. I personally think he was simply pissed off that Michigan had gone in the opposite direction than what they had pitched to him during his recruitment.

Newton is a 1 year wonder and a complete unknown. With no game film on him the first 4 games of the year were complete surprises to everyone and after that you could argue that he is the real deal. He is a first round talent because of his attitude and pure talent but not the #1 QB in the draft by a long shot.

Ponder is damaged good and will fall. He will be a steal in the 3rd or 4th round. We could see Delvin and/or Stanzi get picked before him now.

Devlin is D1 talent but had to go Delaware to get more years for eligibility due to lack of playing time at Penn State. Probably the quickest developing prospect available in the later rounds.

Stanzi and Dalton are tied at this point. I am bias towards Dalton with me being from Utah and watching Dalton destroy the MWC for the last few years. Dalton is a proven player and only his height/weight put him behind Stanzi.
I would bet the farm (if I owned one) that Locker doesn't go in the 1st 15 picks. For anyone to say he's now the top QB, you're just nuts. I don't understand the love affair for this guy.

He's inaccurate, doesn't win games, and seems to struggle with a pro-style offense. Nate freakin' Davis was a better pro prospect coming out. Save for his dyslexia.

[ Edited by bigtony2tone on Jan 7, 2011 at 03:20:52 ]
The Panthers just became the 49ers of 2005. They will pick Locker aka Alex 2.0.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't know why, but I think we're going to take Locker.
Share 49ersWebzone