There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What do the 49ers need to draft in the 1st round?

What do the 49ers need to draft in the 1st round?

[ Edited by RedAndGoldArmy on Dec 28, 2010 at 10:39:22 ]
remember the Packers game and how he torched our secondary. yeah lets get a good CB
remember the past 10 years, where our QB couldn't throw for 300+ if his life depended on it? Yea, we need a QB.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
remember the past 10 years, where our QB couldn't throw for 300+ if his life depended on it? Yea, we need a QB.

yep its qb, a great defensive scheme can mask alot of secondary problems. Qb more important.
A QB unless we can get Kolb. Then we wouldn't have a 1st rounder anyway, so a 1st Round draft QB or Kolb.

Ideally, we get a trade/FA CB and pick Mallett/Newton/Locker in the first.

Or trade for Kolb and hope a good talented CB is still available in the 2nd (pending we still have that pick)
we've invested too much on the o-line in the last few years. we should be able to make an average qb look good.
plus, we don't have a pass rush to mask the cb's deficiencies.
What we don't have is a franchise QB. The only QB that might be available would be Carson Palmer. Kolb has done nothing to earn investing alot of money on.

We definitely need CB, Pass Rusher, and a number 1 WR.
Thats exactly what i'm saying man we need to find a decent quarterback or potential franchise quarterback if we could get lcuky and find one in the draft or by trade and we need a Cornerback and pass rushing DE and another Wide receiver
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedAndGoldArmy:

Not just any D-lineman, a PASS RUSHER.

We lost two games this year as the direct result of a lack of pass rush. The very average secondary was exposed by too much time for opposing QBs.

Yes a QB is the top need but a pass rush is very close behind.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by RedAndGoldArmy:

Not just any D-lineman, a PASS RUSHER.

We lost two games this year as the direct result of a lack of pass rush. The very average secondary was exposed by too much time for opposing QBs.

Yes a QB is the top need but a pass rush is very close behind.

It is fact that the top two things you gotta have in this league to win are (listed in order of importance):

1)passing offense
2) passing defense.

If you lack either one of them, you will not win. You gotta be able to pass AND stop the pass to win. One or the other doesn't work, you gotta be able to do both and the better you can do both, the more you win. This is fact, believe it or not.

Niner's definitely lack the first. Fixing the QB spot is the first, hardest, and most important step to fixing it. Even A consistently average to good QB would fix many of this problem.

The Niner's are very shaky on the second, a good pass rush should fix most of it. Our FS is not so free, and it's affecting our corner's. Fix the rush and it's quite possible some ball-hawker's appear on the roster that didn't seem to be there before. You can kill a lot of birds with one stone if your pass rush is consistently good enough.

[ Edited by Blitz on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:33:39 ]
Given the 9ers situation, I would say if a bonafied first round qb is staring at you you are forced to go that route. Failing that, this team needs somebody who can get some pressure on the QB. Whether that's an OLB and DE I have no idea.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Given the 9ers situation, I would say if a bonafied first round qb is staring at you you are forced to go that route. Failing that, this team needs somebody who can get some pressure on the QB. Whether that's an OLB and DE I have no idea.

Not sure it matter's which. I think if you get some with some speed who can get after the QB, the combo of JSMITH doing his relentless power rush and him doing his speed thing will do wonder's. Basically, we need someone to compliment JSmith, then you can mix the s**t up and blocker's will have a hard time adjusting..one minute their body will be working one way, and then BOOM...you hit them with another type of rush, it catches them off the guard...body's like to work on muscle memory...so you play on that.

Get a good speed rusher, either at end or OLB (you can always change the scheme to fit the personnel, and you should) and you get a two-fer: A more productive JSmith (already productive as hell) along with the new dude.

That's what I would do...find someone to compliment JSMITH...get a synergistic effect.

[ Edited by Blitz on Dec 29, 2010 at 12:08:19 ]
It's got to be QB. As much as pass rusher and CB are serious needs, they will not give us as many wins as a NFL-ready QB. While I am not sure who would be ready for the NFL, pass rushers and CB typically take a year or two to hit their stride.

If we had top 15 QB play this year, we would likely be in the playoffs. If we had top 15 pass defense (i think we were 24th?), I am not so sure we get more victories.
Jesus as a cornerback would really help
Package it with another pick and send it to Phili for Kolb.