There are 211 users in the forums

What do the 49ers need to draft in the 1st round?

What do the 49ers need to draft in the 1st round?

Originally posted by jones49:
Package it with another pick and send it to Phili for Kolb.
that would be a stupid move...i dont see any reason why the niners should send a first-rounder additionally to a 2nd to philly for a avg-qb.
QB overrides everything. We can't even function there.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
QB overrides everything. We can't even function there.

get me a quarterback!!!
  • dj43
Originally posted by SJniner7:
It's got to be QB. As much as pass rusher and CB are serious needs, they will not give us as many wins as a NFL-ready QB. While I am not sure who would be ready for the NFL, pass rushers and CB typically take a year or two to hit their stride.

If we had top 15 QB play this year, we would likely be in the playoffs. If we had top 15 pass defense (i think we were 24th?), I am not so sure we get more victories.
A good pass rush would have won the Philly and NO games.
QB, CB, and Pass rushing OLB to me isthe biggests needs. Receivers continually torch our secondary and we have no consistent OLB double digit sacker. The team will never move forward until we acquire a franchise QB.
BPA
  • dj43
Originally posted by towens81:
QB, CB, and Pass rushing OLB to me isthe biggests needs. Receivers continually torch our secondary and we have no consistent OLB double digit sacker. The team will never move forward until we acquire a franchise QB.

Receivers torching the secondary and lack of a pass rush are interrelated. Improving the pass rush will improve the secondary more than the other way around.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
BPA

Another graduate of the Matt Millen school of drafting
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
BPA

Another graduate of the Matt Millen school of drafting

I thought Matt drafte
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
It's got to be QB. As much as pass rusher and CB are serious needs, they will not give us as many wins as a NFL-ready QB. While I am not sure who would be ready for the NFL, pass rushers and CB typically take a year or two to hit their stride.

If we had top 15 QB play this year, we would likely be in the playoffs. If we had top 15 pass defense (i think we were 24th?), I am not so sure we get more victories.
A good pass rush would have won the Philly and NO games.

But are there really any pass rushers coming out that scream excellence?

QB is deffinately a huge need and should be the first pick. After that its a toss up over a CB next or OLB/pass rusher to replace Haralson or Lawson. As it is with everything 49ers they just dont utilize the personel the way they should. Clements and spencer are not burners and we don't have a pass coverage safety. If you give an opposing QB all the time in the world (like the niners do about every other pass play) then they will find an open receiver eventually. It may look like Clements got burned a lot but on many of those plays it could probably get pinned on the lack of pass rush.
Originally posted by walker807:
QB is deffinately a huge need and should be the first pick. After that its a toss up over a CB next or OLB/pass rusher to replace Haralson or Lawson. As it is with everything 49ers they just dont utilize the personel the way they should. Clements and spencer are not burners and we don't have a pass coverage safety. If you give an opposing QB all the time in the world (like the niners do about every other pass play) then they will find an open receiver eventually. It may look like Clements got burned a lot but on many of those plays it could probably get pinned on the lack of pass rush.

agreed, I think if we can restructure nates contract we have to keep him and draft BPA at QB,OLB,CB if luck is gone which he will be I dont know if it will be worth going for possibly the 3rd best qb (depending on draft spot of course) when we can get a higher rated player at another position of need.
We need talent, regardless of position. However, the priority positions are pretty obvious:
1) QB
2) 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB
3) CB
4) WR
5) FS
  • dj43
Originally posted by Hawaii49erfan:
Originally posted by walker807:

agreed, I think if we can restructure nates contract we have to keep him and draft BPA at QB,OLB,CB if luck is gone which he will be I dont know if it will be worth going for possibly the 3rd best qb (depending on draft spot of course) when we can get a higher rated player at another position of need.
Reaching more than 4 or 5 spots is not a good strategy for a team that has 4 major needs...5 if you agree that Goldson will leave.

Teams that build quickly get excellent talent/value on each pick.
we really wont know for sure until they figure out what kind of D they are moving too. I think if its a 3-4 or 4-3 that the team still needs an OLB regardless. Im guessing that Bowman will move to OLB in a 4-3 and so they would need somebody on the other side. On the line they would have Smith-Sopoaga-RJF-Mcdonald, that could be a decent 4-3 line. This is all asuming that they would let Franklin and Lawson walk and stick Haralson on the bench where he belongs.
Share 49ersWebzone