LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Senior Bowl Thread

Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by JDog:
Originally posted by DraftaQB:
I've come away from the senior bowl feeling a little disappointed: No one has stood out consistently.

Colin Kaepernick - was great in some of the practices but only so so in the game.

Stanzi and Dalton were average throughout.

Locker was given many opportunities to show his accuracy but didn't produce. And I, a big Locker supporter now think he isn't going to make it in the NFL.

Ponder was probably the best in the game, but still didn't do much. It was a case of him being the one eyed man in the land of the blind.
Plus he did nothing to show his arm strength and his ability to stay healthy (admittedly you can't do that at the senior bowl).

It looks like our only rookie QB option is Gabbert and that's because he hasn't had a chance to show (or lack thereof) his stuff. And if Gabbert does look decent in offseason workouts then he'll probably be snapped up before we pick #7.

Not happy.

I thought Ponder's opening pass showed a decent amount or arm strenght?

that ball was very underthrown, Hankerson made a nice adjustment to get to it and catch it

You got to remember that throw was against the wind but was a great adjustment by Hankerson.

It's good for him that the only place in the world that the wind blows is in Mobile, Alabama during the Senior Bowl.

Not defending Ponder because I like Stanzi the best. Ponder does not have the best of arm or accuracy but wind did factor in that throw that's all I'm saying.
I've come away from the senior bowl feeling a little disappointed: No one has stood out consistently.

Colin Kaepernick - was great in some of the practices but only so so in the game.

Locker was given many opportunities to show his accuracy but didn't produce. And I, a big Locker supporter now think he isn't going to make it in the NFL.

Ponder was probably the best in the game, but still didn't do much. It was a case of him being the one eyed man in the land of the blind.
Plus he did nothing to show his arm strength and his ability to stay healthy (admittedly you can't do that at the senior bowl).

It looks like our only rookie QB option is Gabbert and that's because he hasn't had a chance to show (or lack thereof) his stuff. And if Gabbert does look decent in offseason workouts then he'll probably be snapped up before we pick #7.

Not happy.

that ball was very underthrown, Hankerson made a nice adjustment to get to it and catch it

You got to remember that throw was against the wind but was a great adjustment by Hankerson.

It's good for him that the only place in the world that the wind blows is in Mobile, Alabama during the Senior Bowl.

Not defending Ponder because I like Stanzi the best. Ponder does not have the best of arm or accuracy but wind did factor in that throw that's all I'm saying.

the bottom line is that we shouldn't get too caught up on that throw, or ponder's lack of arm if that's truly the case.

I think Ponder was arguably the best QB in the senior bowl, with Stanzi and Dalton fighting for second best. But that's all it was, how they looked for one week playing with a bunch of guys they've never played with before. I'm not saying the Senior Bowl doesn't mean anything, let's just not make it the measuring tape for determining who is the best

Not happy.

the bottom line is that we shouldn't get too caught up on that throw, or ponder's lack of arm if that's truly the case.

I think Ponder was arguably the best QB in the senior bowl, with Stanzi and Dalton fighting for second best. But that's all it was, how they looked for one week playing with a bunch of guys they've never played with before. I'm not saying the Senior Bowl doesn't mean anything, let's just not make it the measuring tape for determining who is the best

A lot of people are over reacting because of what Ponder did I understand but we have to take an exception that the Senior Bowl the way the rules are set up is obviously and advantage for Qb's and WR's. I really love Stanzi because of his pocket awareness that's really something you can't teach it's all instinct.

Not happy.

A lot of people are over reacting because of what Ponder did I understand but we have to take an exception that the Senior Bowl the way the rules are set up is obviously and advantage for Qb's and WR's. I really love Stanzi because of his pocket awareness that's really something you can't teach it's all instinct.

agreed
Reminder folks, don't put much if any stock in the game. There are a few things you can get from a game, but the practices were far more meaningful for the scouts -- hence the reason most of them leave Mobile after the last practice.

Staley, Iupati, and many others in the past that had terrible Senior Bowl games went on to become stars.

The game means next to nothing in terms of evaluating the player, I mean look at Tebow. He could barely do anything at that point of last offseason, but he was worked with and retooled and appears well on his way to being a fine player in this league.

I think the guys like Dalton, Stanzi, and Ponder who all reportedly had a good week of practice overall, have the best chance for success in the NFL.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Quote:
NFL Network's Mike Mayock was quick to praise Iowa QB Ricky Stanzi at this week's Senior Bowl.
Said Mayock, "You watch him and you see his ability to improve. That's huge for a quarterback. Stanzi had a great senior year." By all accounts Stanzi has has a solid Senior Bowl week as well and improved his stock to a late second - early third day selection. While Stanzi doesn't do anything special, he has prototypical size and plus awareness. Despite his age (already 23), he'll make for a nice developmental player and projects as a solid long-term backup.

Too bad he won't be a 49er.

i would take Mallett in the 1st and Stanzi in the 4th

Ohh God I hope your joking!

I really hope he is too! I would be pissed if that is how our draft went down. Plus Stanzi won't last till the 4th.
Share 49ersWebzone