There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Re-sign Alex, Draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd Rd (regardless of HC)

Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
With Alex Smith, we know what we get at this point: an average starter with a QB rating of 80 - 85 when mature and healthy: (385/641/4159/30/21 in '09 and '10)

Now, that's good enough to win some games with a good defense and running game, but it isn't enough to take you all the way...think Jake Delhomme in Carolina. This will be even more true in the future, with rule changes enhancing the role of the quarterback (QB rating has been going up over the last few years).

So, let's re-sign Alex for 2 -3 years and draft a rookie in the first or second round ...my preference at this point would be to draft a QB in the second (or third) round like Stanzi or Ponder. But if we have a shot at Locker or Cam Newton in the middle of the 1st, that works for me too.

If the rookie pans out and is a 90+ QB rating guy, then great. But if he's a bust, we still have Alex Smith to give you decent production.

Thoughts?

Alex is the best we have..so yeah, we should re-sign him. We should draft a rook.

Ugh,NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want The Bust back period! Why can't you Alex lovers accept reality! He's not welcome in San Fran!

Lover? Tell me who is better on this team at QB? no one...so we keep the best and try to get something better. I don't see your logic...you'd rather just suck next year while we throw another inexperienced QB up against the wall to see if he sticks?

My logic?? How about 6 years of failure! How's that for logic!

In that case, we need to get rid of the Yorks first.

How about Alex wasn't the starter all 6 years. So don't put that all on him. How about talent wise we sucked his first few years. I'm not saying Alex is the solution (and I'm not saying he's not) but he is the best we have and if we get rid of him, we screw ourselves even worse...

So cut off your nose to spite your face much?
Oh my gosh. What is wrong with our fan base? It was bad enough I had to hear for the past 6 months how we were gonna take back the NFC West with a dummy QB that most people thought had turned a corner even though there was no evidence showing as such. But to even now after the dumbest decision in our franchises history ie picking Alex over A-Rod, and after seeing us stick with him so he can ruin our season. Had we gotten a QB worth talking about this off-season I don't want to know how many wins we'd have. And now you wanna bring this moron back, my word. The dude other than what Delhomme, ANderson, and Clausen has been the worst QB in the LEague this year. If he hadn't of gotten hurt he'd probably still be leading the NFL in TO's. This idiot has cause me and the fans who can actually think logically for him to play another snap or even be on the team. He should of been cut after week 1 let alone benched for good. It's been time to move on, we should of uh drafted uh a QB uh last year uh duh duh duh.
our new hc or gm will not bring alex back
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
And people wonder why we haven't won for 8 years... Just look at Alex Lovers and you get your answer... To want to bring a Bust back for a 7th year is just stupid...

Again, Alex Smith has been a healthy, mature quarterback for two seasons now, and his average QB rating is 81 during that time. That's not a Bust.

He has a 18-30 record... He's a Bust!

So no other position matters? Bottom-of-the-league offensive lines don't matter. A very weak receiving corps (until 2009) doesn't matter?

It doesn't matter to him because it doesn't fit his opinion, which seems very shortsighted and uninformed, if not completely ignorant of all facts that do not support his indefensible position.

No,I'm just not blind like you Alex lover... I want a real QB...Not the return of a 6 year loser... I don't want a rerun of the past... Outside the internet people agree with me hence the boos on Sunday!
With Alex Smith, we know what we get at this point: an average starter with a QB rating of 80 - 85 when mature and healthy: (385/641/4159/30/21 in '09 and '10)

Now, that's good enough to win some games with a good defense and running game, but it isn't enough to take you all the way...think Jake Delhomme in Carolina. This will be even more true in the future, with rule changes enhancing the role of the quarterback (QB rating has been going up over the last few years).

So, let's re-sign Alex for 2 -3 years and draft a rookie in the first or second round ...my preference at this point would be to draft a QB in the second (or third) round like Stanzi or Ponder. But if we have a shot at Locker or Cam Newton in the middle of the 1st, that works for me too.

If the rookie pans out and is a 90+ QB rating guy, then great. But if he's a bust, we still have Alex Smith to give you decent production.

Thoughts?

Alex is the best we have..so yeah, we should re-sign him. We should draft a rook.

Ugh,NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want The Bust back period! Why can't you Alex lovers accept reality! He's not welcome in San Fran!

An 80-85 QB rating player is NOT a bust. Those are Phil Simms-type career stats, adjusted for today's more QB-friendly environment.

http://www.nfl.com/players/philsimms/profile?id=SIM342758

He's a bust! Everyone around football knows... Eddie knows it,Steve Young knows it... Only ones that think he's good are you lovers... He has a 18-30 record and a 2 and 6 record this year.. Why is it only people on here can't see what the rest of world sees!

I look at production (QB Rating), and by that metric, he's an average NFL starter.

2-6? Please name all the games this season where you can point at him and say he lost the game for us.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
THe question is, is why would Alex want to re-sign here in the first place? With all our douche bag fans. WHy not go somewhere where the fans are not known as the Whiners, and feel welcome? Why not go to a team with a legitiment coaching staff?

I don't think Alex would care to come back.

Because we didn't cut him when the whole league labeled him as a bust.

I saw some Minneapolis Star article the other day that said the Vikes could make a move for Alex Smith in 2011...

trade him for Bret Favre

I would rather have my eyes dug out of my head with a rusty spoon than ever see that douche in a niners uniform.
And people wonder why we haven't won for 8 years... Just look at Alex Lovers and you get your answer... To want to bring a Bust back for a 7th year is just stupid...

we havent won because were playing to our teams weakneses not their strenths any 1 can see that
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Oh my gosh. What is wrong with our fan base? It was bad enough I had to hear for the past 6 months how we were gonna take back the NFC West with a dummy QB that most people thought had turned a corner even though there was no evidence showing as such. But to even now after the dumbest decision in our franchises history ie picking Alex over A-Rod, and after seeing us stick with him so he can ruin our season. Had we gotten a QB worth talking about this off-season I don't want to know how many wins we'd have. And now you wanna bring this moron back, my word. The dude other than what Delhomme, ANderson, and Clausen has been the worst QB in the LEague this year. If he hadn't of gotten hurt he'd probably still be leading the NFL in TO's. This idiot has cause me and the fans who can actually think logically for him to play another snap or even be on the team. He should of been cut after week 1 let alone benched for good. It's been time to move on, we should of uh drafted uh a QB uh last year uh duh duh duh.

Thank you! To even suggest they bring him back is a slap in the face to all the real 49er fans out there!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Again, Alex Smith has been a healthy, mature quarterback for two seasons now, and his average QB rating is 81 during that time. That's not a Bust.

He has a 18-30 record... He's a Bust!

So no other position matters? Bottom-of-the-league offensive lines don't matter. A very weak receiving corps (until 2009) doesn't matter?

It doesn't matter to him because it doesn't fit his opinion, which seems very shortsighted and uninformed, if not completely ignorant of all facts that do not support his indefensible position.

The only reason I'd consider going broke for a much better quarterback is because the position is changing with the rules -- WRs can go over the middle w/o fear...if they're hit too hard there's a penalty. Avg QB rating has gone from 80 to 87 in the past 6 or 7 years (since the NFL started regulating 'physical' CBs on the Patriots). Not to get too geeky, but quarterback play is about 45 - 50% of winning, statistically. That's if you did a linear regression between wining % and QB rating (I'm taking some stats classes in grad school, so I did that as an exercise).

Thoughts?

An 80-85 QB rating player is NOT a bust. Those are Phil Simms-type career stats, adjusted for today's more QB-friendly environment.

http://www.nfl.com/players/philsimms/profile?id=SIM342758

He's a bust! Everyone around football knows... Eddie knows it,Steve Young knows it... Only ones that think he's good are you lovers... He has a 18-30 record and a 2 and 6 record this year.. Why is it only people on here can't see what the rest of world sees!

I look at production (QB Rating), and by that metric, he's an average NFL starter.

2-6? Please name all the games this season where you can point at him and say he lost the game for us.

I would put the Philly loss on him, and the 'L' from Carolina shouldn't count. We won that game -- unprofessional play from Carr lost it.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran

Thoughts?

Lover? Tell me who is better on this team at QB? no one...so we keep the best and try to get something better. I don't see your logic...you'd rather just suck next year while we throw another inexperienced QB up against the wall to see if he sticks?

My logic?? How about 6 years of failure! How's that for logic!

In that case, we need to get rid of the Yorks first.

How about Alex wasn't the starter all 6 years. So don't put that all on him. How about talent wise we sucked his first few years. I'm not saying Alex is the solution (and I'm not saying he's not) but he is the best we have and if we get rid of him, we screw ourselves even worse...

So cut off your nose to spite your face much?

Ugggh he hasnt PLAYED for six years he has onyl played in 51 games which equates to a little over 3 seasons which includes 9 games his rookie season. No QB would have been good on that crappy team. Anyway I agree we need to sign Alex but draft a new QB keep things consistant with our offensive system. I seriously doubt Alex will resign mainly because of all the douche bag fans who boo and treat him like crap. I am sure he just wants out because even the coaches ie. Sing have screwed him. The orginization sucks from top to bottom so it doesnt matter what QB you keep or bring in via draft or free agent we are still gonna suck.

Thoughts?

What words come to mind when reading the subject heading

r u kidding me
clueless
omg
get off the crack
quit riding the bottle
resign who?
i forgot to take my zanez when reading webzone

I would put the Philly loss on him, and the 'L' from Carolina shouldn't count. We won that game -- unprofessional play from Carr lost it.

That wasn't directed to you but to Fakers
I dont want a rooke quarterback to learn under Alex Smith. That is just a disaster waiting to happen.
Originally posted by whatawegot:

Thoughts?

What words come to mind when reading the subject heading

r u kidding me
clueless
omg
get off the crack
quit riding the bottle
resign who?
i forgot to take my zanez when reading webzone

lmao... couldn't put it any better... i mean i can't believe people still haven't learned after 6 years