LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 326 users in the forums

Wisconsin Badgers QB Scott Tolzien

• dj43
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I want to see how Tolzien does when Wisconsin plays TCU at the Rose Bowl.

TODAY!

Not a great game, but most of his throws were still pretty accurate.

He was 12/21 for 156 yards.

Had about 3 plus drops... his problem this game was holding the ball too long a few times.

I would definitely take a look at Dalton as well. He's a winner, has a decent arm, smart with the football... one of the problems though is he is he will be 24 early into next season. Might not be ready to play until 26 or 27.
OTOH, a slightly older more mature guy might be ready quicker. He was certainly very poised against Wisc today.
Would Tolzien be a good fit in a WCO? He is a good, accurate QB. At worst, a solid backup QB. (Which we definitely need!)
I thought this guy had a pretty decent combine.

Where do the draft guy see him going? 4th?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Would Tolzien be a good fit in a WCO? He is a good, accurate QB. At worst, a solid backup QB. (Which we definitely need!)

I think he could be a serviceable 2nd or 3rd string in the league in most systems with heavy WCO influence. He is not a fit in a vertical spread offense IMO.
Originally posted by GEEK:

I think he could be a serviceable 2nd or 3rd string in the league in most systems with heavy WCO influence. He is not a fit in a vertical spread offense IMO.

I think he would make a good backup. Shaun Hill 2.0??
I had to search to find this thread, but I was sure there would be one...I really like Tolzien as a late-round pickup, I think he can be had in the sixth or seventh round. Let him spend a year as the third-stringer behind a more experienced backup (someone like Gradkowski) and by next year he might be ready for second string. I just think he's a good value for someone you won't be relying on to play anytime soon...I really don't see a big difference between Tolzien and guys like Stanzi and Devlin, and I think he can be had two or three rounds later. His offensive coordinator at UW is Geep Chryst's (the new QB coach) brother, so they'd probably have a pretty good feel for him as a person as well. Trade the 2nd round pick for Carson Palmer, sign Gradkowski for a year to back him up, and draft Tolzien in the sixth or seventh round...I'd take that every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
The 49ers QB coach Geep Chryst should know Tolzien very well (since his brother Paul Chryst coached him at UW). Tolzien was the 'Johnny Unitas Golden Arm' award winner. 11-2 record. Completed 73% of his passes, 9.25 yds/attempt, 165 QB rating = superb performance. Physically limited, but definitely worth a 5th, but may be available in rd 6-7. Take two QB's this year. At worst a solid back-up for years.

Scott Tolzien Highlights

[ Edited by maxsmart on Mar 11, 2011 at 01:40:14 ]
Damn good thing we drafted Holcomb in the 7th instead of locking in Tolzien the Unitas Golden arm winner! Not
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Damn good thing we drafted Holcomb in the 7th instead of locking in Tolzien the Unitas Golden arm winner! Not

32 teams picked over 250 players, he wasnt one of them. I doubt any other fans save for maybe UW or some packers fans are complaining that their teams didnt draft him.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

32 teams picked over 250 players, he wasnt one of them. I doubt any other fans save for maybe UW or some packers fans are complaining that their teams didnt draft him.

QB expert Jim Harbaugh wanted him. QB expert Norv Turner wanted him.
Apparently they liked him (he was the top-rated QB in the country). Why not spend a late 7th rd pick on him?

7/28: Norv Turner praised Tolzien after he completed several passes in the afternoon session. “He’s very accurate,” Turner said. “He’s very smart. I’m excited that we had an opportunity to sign him as a free agent, and he had a good day today.”

Turner impressed with rookie QB Tolzien:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/chargers-release-wr-buster-davis-as-camp-opens-turner-impressed-with-rookie-qb-tolzien/2011/07/28/gIQAFF25fI_story.html

8/5/11: Kevin Acee (San Diego Tribune) says the early returns likes UDFA QB Scott Tolzien are promising:
"This kid is sooo smart, so accurate, gets rid of the ball so quick," writes Acee. "He's Drew Brees without having to be forced into playing so soon." It sounds like the Chargers may have found Philip Rivers' backup of the future." http://www.signonsandiego.com/bigmailbag/chargers/

[ Edited by maxsmart on Aug 6, 2011 at 17:14:41 ]

Scott Tolzien looked very good today. He was 16/23 with 226 yards. That?s more yards today alone than Alex or Kap had this entire preseason. Tim Ryan said that the Chargers had Tolzien rated ~ 3rd round. Why not spend a 7th ?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Lost in all the WI run game stuff is when he does throw he is very accurate, steady and reliable. He has a strong enough arm to make all the throws. He reads the field well. And he doesn't turn the ball over. IMO he would be a very high end backup at least. And we need that. We need 2 new QB's around here. We can cut all 3 that we have and get 2 new ones.

We could look at Locker / Mallett high. And then Tolzien later in the draft as our backup guy. That could give you 2 good QB's. I'm tired of our QB's sucking. If we spend 2 picks on it that may be worth it.

I told you guys this in December 2010 but nobody listened.....

Apparently they liked him (he was the top-rated QB in the country). Why not spend a late 7th rd pick on him?

7/28: Norv Turner praised Tolzien after he completed several passes in the afternoon session. “He’s very accurate,” Turner said. “He’s very smart. I’m excited that we had an opportunity to sign him as a free agent, and he had a good day today.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/chargers-release-wr-buster-davis-as-camp-opens-turner-impressed-with-rookie-qb-tolzien/2011/07/28/gIQAFF25fI_story.html

8/5/11: Kevin Acee (San Diego Tribune) says the early returns likes UDFA QB Scott Tolzien are promising:
"This kid is sooo smart, so accurate, gets rid of the ball so quick," writes Acee. "He's Drew Brees without having to be forced into playing so soon." It sounds like the Chargers may have found Philip Rivers' backup of the future." http://www.signonsandiego.com/bigmailbag/chargers/

apparently harbaugh didnt want him enough. I dont see why we didnt take a flyer on him. I liked him a lot better than Kaeperpick, that's for sure.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

apparently harbaugh didnt want him enough. I dont see why we didnt take a flyer on him. I liked him a lot better than Kaeperpick, that's for sure.

Honestly he may be better than Kaep. Kaep just is bigger with better physical skills. But Tolzien has pocket presense and accuracy.
Him and McElroy have both been pretty impressive in the pres season. They are both super smart guys who really study the game. Which appears to be making up for some of their on the field short comings.
Share 49ersWebzone