There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

? about A Luck

• rtj03
  • Veteran
I have never seen Luck play but I continue to hear and read great things about him.

What makes him so great? What are his strong intangibles? Every qb has their thing that makes them great what is his? Im sure he has the size but how succesful has he been at Stanford?
he is a smart player good game manager and very accurate passer (doesnt really have good arm)

he will never be the peyton manning or drew brrees type of player getting 300 yds 2tds a game but he will be a consisant qb with off the charts intangibiles
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Oct 26, 2010 at 6:54 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
He throws an accurate ball if given LOTS of time to throw. And his arm is not real strong. He's not super athletic although he's not a terrible athlete either. His release at times can be slow. He's far from the sure thing Peyton Manning he is portrayed to be here on the WZ. His release is nowhere near that good and his arm is not that strong (compared to Peyton).

People here think he is the second coming of Peyton Manning but I'm not sold on that as a guarantee. They like him because he is the popular Bay Area prospect. And they probably follow him at Stanford and cheer for him.

Don't get me wrong. I think he can be good. But every good play I've ever seen him make was with lots of time to throw. You know our QB won't have time.
I'd say Luck compares to a slightly more athletic Schaub and much better football IQ. Hence why Schaub was a 3rd rounder, and Luck will be a 1st rounder.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I'd say Luck compares to a slightly more athletic Schaub and much better football IQ. Hence why Schaub was a 3rd rounder, and Luck will be a 1st rounder.

He's somewhat similar to Schaub who throws an accurate ball with lots of time to throw but can't create much if the play breaks down. That's somewhat fair as a comparison I think. But he is no Peyton Manning for quick release or strong arm. That is for sure.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 26, 2010 at 8:25 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He throws an accurate ball if given LOTS of time to throw. And his arm is not real strong. He's not super athletic although he's not a terrible athlete either. His release at times can be slow. He's far from the sure thing Peyton Manning he is portrayed to be here on the WZ. His release is nowhere near that good and his arm is not that strong (compared to Peyton).

People here think he is the second coming of Peyton Manning but I'm not sold on that as a guarantee. They like him because he is the popular Bay Area prospect. And they probably follow him at Stanford and cheer for him.

Don't get me wrong. I think he can be good. But every good play I've ever seen him make was with lots of time to throw. You know our QB won't have time.

I don't who has been comparing him to Peyton around here, but he looks a lot more like Eli. As far as your criticisms, his release is what college football analysts have been speaking highly of. He also takes a lot of three step drops because of the west coast type of offense that they run. Lot of slants and short ins and outs. But his deep throws are not terrible either. He also throws well on the run. His o-line does tend to break down and he ends up making plays with his feet.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SF69ers:

I don't who has been comparing him to Peyton around here, but he looks a lot more like Eli. As far as your criticisms, his release is what college football analysts have been speaking highly of. He also takes a lot of three step drops because of the west coast type of offense that they run. Lot of slants and short ins and outs. But his deep throws are not terrible either. He also throws well on the run. His o-line does tend to break down and he ends up making plays with his feet.

Its pretty obvious that it will be San Diego's first time watching Luck this Saturday!!!!

But right on 69er, you hit the nail on the head.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Its pretty obvious that it will be San Diego's first time watching Luck this Saturday!!!!

Yea a lot of people might think I'm bias just cus I'm from the Bay Area, but I'm actually just a Pac-10 fan. I like Jake Locker too, but I know which QB is more pro ready and which isn't. But I'm not gonna disregard the potential Locker has.

Stanford's o-line is given a lot of credit by a few posters here, but the only reason why it seems like Luck isn't getting hit is cus of his quick drop steps, his quick reads, and his quick release. Not to mention his pocket presence and his ability to evade the defensive player.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Yea a lot of people might think I'm bias just cus I'm from the Bay Area, but I'm actually just a Pac-10 fan. I like Jake Locker too, but I know which QB is more pro ready and which isn't. But I'm not gonna disregard the potential Locker has.

Stanford's o-line is given a lot of credit by a few posters here, but the only reason why it seems like Luck isn't getting hit is cus of his quick drop steps, his quick reads, and his quick release. Not to mention his pocket presence and his ability to evade the defensive player.

Yah no doubt, even though I've lived in the Bay Area, I could careless that Luck plays there. Luck could've played for Vanderbilt and I still would have the same opinion. I'm just imagining how Luck would be with our 9ers and what he would bring. If Locker was the same way (pocket passer), I'd be all for him too, but as it seems, hes just not my number one choice that's all, but still wouldn't mind having him.

Yah no doubt, even though I've lived in the Bay Area, I could careless that Luck plays there. Luck could've played for Vanderbilt and I still would have the same opinion. I'm just imagining how Luck would be with our 9ers and what he would bring. If Locker was the same way (pocket passer), I'd be all for him too, but as it seems, hes just not my number one choice that's all, but still wouldn't mind having him.

It really depends on the coaching staff that we get. Hypothetically speaking, if we get Harbaugh, Luck would continue to progress into a really good QB IMO. If we end up getting Locker with Harbaugh as a coach, Harbaugh would do wonders with the kid's skills.

It really depends on the coaching staff that we get. Hypothetically speaking, if we get Harbaugh, Luck would continue to progress into a really good QB IMO. If we end up getting Locker with Harbaugh as a coach, Harbaugh would do wonders with the kid's skills.

True dat!! Except luck throws an ugly deep ball. hell look at his ypa on his throws. it's 8.2 i think. stinkys
Originally posted by wailers15:

True dat!! Except luck throws an ugly deep ball. hell look at his ypa on his throws. it's 8.2 i think. stinkys

That's not bad at all. If he throws 8 yards on 1st and 2nd down, that's a pretty manageable distance to get another first with a run. It's a west coast type of offense. He doesn't need to throw deep too often, but when he does, it's usually pretty accurate. not the prettiest ball at all, but he gets it done.

its not us, if youve ever seen stanford games the announcers are making those comparisons.
Originally posted by WestCoast:

its not us, if youve ever seen stanford games the announcers are making those comparisons.

Yea I've heard it from some announcers but definitely not from people here on the zone. Don't see any comparison whatsoever.