There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What do y'all think of Cam Newton?

as of right now, I would love to take Cam Newton in the first. He's a hell of a player, a difference maker at the most important position in football. but its a long time between now and April and a lot can and will change, depending on who declares and what our position is. but if its all relative, I can't imagine why any Niner fan wouldn't be stoked at the chance to have Newton.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
as of right now, I would love to take Cam Newton in the first. He's a hell of a player, a difference maker at the most important position in football. but its a long time between now and April and a lot can and will change, depending on who declares and what our position is. but if its all relative, I can't imagine why any Niner fan wouldn't be stoked at the chance to have Newton.

so you have confidence in newton that he can read nfl coverages??? newton is a rb playing qb, no way in hell do i take him to be my franchise qb
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

so you have confidence in newton that he can read nfl coverages??? newton is a rb playing qb, no way in hell do i take him to be my franchise qb

IDK. Vince Young is doing fine and he seems dumber than a pile of rocks. Roethlisberger, too, seems like a moron and he plays QB just fine.

I don't see how anyone could watch Newton and not think that he can be successful in the NFL. He has all the natural ability, and you can learn to read NFL defenses. You can't teach a guy to be 6' 6'' and have a rifle arm and blazing speed.

That said, my opinion will certainly change as the draft picture becomes clearer. but I think criticisms of a players like "not being able to read an NFL defense" are red herrings.

i agree

IDK. Vince Young is doing fine and he seems dumber than a pile of rocks. Roethlisberger, too, seems like a moron and he plays QB just fine.

I don't see how anyone could watch Newton and not think that he can be successful in the NFL. He has all the natural ability, and you can learn to read NFL defenses. You can't teach a guy to be 6' 6'' and have a rifle arm and blazing speed.

That said, my opinion will certainly change as the draft picture becomes clearer. but I think criticisms of a players like "not being able to read an NFL defense" are red herrings.

roethlisberger is a dumb ass in clubs messing with hs/college chicks not on the field, and im sure anyone will take him over newton. blazing speed, being 6'6" and having a rocket arm doesnt equal success in the nfl, yes it helps but it doesnt guarantee you crap. i honestly would take tebow over him and i never wanted tebow
[ Edited by FredFlintstone on Nov 13, 2010 at 8:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

I agree completely and would at the moment be perfectly content drafting him in the first round. I think he can be another game-changing QB and the character concerns don't bother me. It seems that his father is more of the problem anyway.
you would be satisfied if the niners picked him in the first???

I would be completely 100% satisfied but since he will most likely be the #1 overall pick i doubt we will have a chance at him.
nice irony

vince young is average...he doesn't do anything special at titans...don't see the argument. so roethli is an exception of the rule so far...
[ Edited by communist on Nov 13, 2010 at 8:20 PM ]

roethlisberger is a dumb ass in clubs messing with hs/college chicks not on the field, and im sure anyone will take him over newton. blazing speed, being 6'6" and having a rocket arm does equal success in the nfl, yes it helps but it doesnt guarantee you crap. i honestly would take tebow over him and i never wanted tebow

yeah, i don't know enough about Newton to know for sure. but you really can't underestimate an athlete as obviously skilled and special as he is. Will he pan out in the NFL? I don't know. Would I want the Niners to take him? That would really depend on where we were drafting and who was available, but I really wouldn't be that disappointed. The draft is a crap shoot anyway.

yeah, i don't know enough about Newton to know for sure. but you really can't underestimate an athlete as obviously skilled and special as he is. Will he pan out in the NFL? I don't know. Would I want the Niners to take him? That would really depend on where we were drafting and who was available, but I really wouldn't be that disappointed. The draft is a crap shoot anyway.
if we are talking about a mid-late round pick, then i wouldn't mind it...
If he comes out for the draft he will go no later that the 15-20th overall range, in the first round.
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Nov 13, 2010 at 8:25 PM ]

if we are talking about a mid-late round pick, then i wouldn't mind it...

well, a mid-late round pick there's no question in my mind that you draft him. I think everyone would be excited about that. I have trouble imagining him lasting past the 2nd round though. I mean, I'm not an expert, but if Tebow goes in the first round of a draft of pretty good QB's, then Cam Newton will go in the first round in a year where the QB class is not as strong.

well, a mid-late round pick there's no question in my mind that you draft him. I think everyone would be excited about that. I have trouble imagining him lasting past the 2nd round though. I mean, I'm not an expert, but if Tebow goes in the first round of a draft of pretty good QB's, then Cam Newton will go in the first round in a year where the QB class is not as strong.
i'm not an expert either but tebow was drafted by mcdaniels...and we all know how stupid McDumb is...and tebow is known for his good character.
furthermore, i dont see why this year's qb-class isn't that strong? perhaps you don't have about 3-5 prospects who could go in the top5...but you have enough prospects, who will go in the 2nd round, if not earlier...

i'm not an expert either but tebow was drafted by mcdaniels...and we all know how stupid McDumb is...and tebow is known for his good character.
furthermore, i dont see why this year's qb-class isn't that strong? perhaps you don't have about 3-5 prospects who could go in the top5...but you have enough prospects, who will go in the 2nd round, if not earlier...

This is a great year for QBs coming out. If Luck goes, thats him, Locker, Mallet, Stanzi, and Scam, I mean Cam. Cam though is a special special player...All that in the 1st round alone....Stanzi maybe 2nd though.

I didn't mean to imply that it was a weak QB class, but its not as strong as last years. true, McDaniels is a moron when it comes to the draft. but i don't think anything that newton has (allegedly) done is enough to scare off any NFL teams. Its not like he's been busted for drugs or involved in violent activities. He maybe cheated on some tests, maybe he stole a laptop, maybe he (or his father) tried to get money out of prospective schools. None of that will affect his play in the pros, so i don't think it will scare of teams. If they're smart, that is.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

I agree completely and would at the moment be perfectly content drafting him in the first round. I think he can be another game-changing QB and the character concerns don't bother me. It seems that his father is more of the problem anyway.
you would be satisfied if the niners picked him in the first???

I would be completely 100% satisfied but since he will most likely be the #1 overall pick i doubt we will have a chance at him.

NO WAY he goes over Luck, aka the next Peyton Manning. Who would you rather have, possibly the next VY or possibly the next Peyton? Give me Luck all day. I'll be surprised if Cam goes in the top 15, my guess is he gets picked around 20. He'll take a few years to learn how to play QB in the NFL.
i just dont get why this guy should go in the first as a qb-prospect...