LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 334 users in the forums

What do y'all think of Cam Newton?

He better not be a 49er. That's all I can say. I don't want him in any round...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I'd take him in the 3rd round, easy.
Cam could be the new face of the franchise....one that can sell seats and a new stadium.

He is better than Locker SD, in every way, injuries or not. I cant think that the niners pass on a qb in the first, especially if there is no collevtive bargining in place. And in our spot if its Newton, or Locker, you better beleive that Newton is the man. Sorry Skip Bayless.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Cam could be the new face of the franchise....one that can sell seats and a new stadium.

He is better than Locker SD, in every way, injuries or not. I cant think that the niners pass on a qb in the first, especially if there is no collevtive bargining in place. And in our spot if its Newton, or Locker, you better beleive that Newton is the man. Sorry Skip Bayless.

Newton is a cross between Jamarcus Russell and Vince Young. A bad pro combination...

Newton is a cross between Jamarcus Russell and Vince Young. A bad pro combination...

Um ok....and Locker is a cross between doug flutie and jeff george He is still better than Locker.

Um ok....and Locker is a cross between doug flutie and jeff george He is still better than Locker.

Locker has a John Elway arm and Steve Young legs. A pretty good combination...
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Locker has a John Elway arm and Steve Young legs. A pretty good combination...

I think ill try! Newton has Dan Marino's arm and Montana/Brady winning ability!
He plays in a simplistic offense. He is more of an athlete then a football player. Cant read his coverages. Already has a "I'm entitled to.." attitude. Yeah he has bust written all over him.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
He plays in a simplistic offense. He is more of an athlete then a football player. Cant read his coverages. Already has a "I'm entitled to.." attitude. Yeah he has bust written all over him.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:

simplistic offense? I would love to hear the exlanation on this. And please say he cant audible, rarely do any college qb's do. Cant read coverages? Please explain that one.

Thanks.

• evil
  • Veteran

Cam has the ability to be an all world player if he ends up with the right team and gets a chance to sit and learn a little first however he will not be a 49er. He will be wearing a Buffalo Bill's jersey on draft day.
Ill take him over Alex

Lol @ doug flutie and jeff george DAMN
I'm all for this. I got a good feeling about him.
It seems like everyone agrees that Newton's biggest flaw (how big it is is debatable) is character/personality.

So what I'm wondering is, if we were able to acquire both Newton and McNabb, could McNabb help develop Newton into a mature pro?

I understand people not being sold on McNabb's skills these days, but no one can deny that he's one of the classiest, most mature pros in the league. And many of the on the field criticisms of Newton are the same ones McNabb faced when he came out; runs too much, poor decision making, etc. McNabb, more than most vets, also seems very into the idea of mentoring younger QBs.

No matter who we draft at QB, we're going to need a vet QB to start for at least a year. So why not pair Newton with a QB who is exceptional in all the areas Newton is supposed to be deficient?

If we got both those QBs and HC that runs the west coast, I think we could finally set our offense straight.

Is this idea crazy?
Share 49ersWebzone