LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

What do y'all think of Cam Newton?

Originally posted by wailers15:
He's going to suck. No future in the NFL. Look at all QB's like him what have they done?? Nothing. Hell Only Vince Young is left really, what has he done?

You mean besides being the NFL's 5th rated passer and leading his team to a winning record in one of the toughtest divisions in the league?
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
He's going to suck. No future in the NFL. Look at all QB's like him what have they done?? Nothing. Hell Only Vince Young is left really, what has he done?

You mean besides being the NFL's 5th rated passer and leading his team to a winning record in one of the toughtest divisions in the league?

so he's actually doing something...wow but his past speaks for itself. he's not a winnign qb

so he's actually doing something...wow but his past speaks for itself. he's not a winnign qb
Vince Young is 26-13 as a starter.....
He hasnt had a losing season in the NFL.

[ Edited by jojomellon on Nov 17, 2010 at 17:42:48 ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

hmmmm 26-13 record as a starting QB sounds like a winner to me.
Originally posted by jojomellon:

Vince Young is 26-13 as a starter.....
He hasnt had a losing season in the NFL.

Owned twice in 1 thread.

Cool
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Just because we have had bad Quarterback play the last six seasons lets just not make Troy Smith in the next great QB after a few games... Cant hurt to have a Chargers situation with Bees and Rivers aka Troy Smith starting and newton as the back up... which is a better situation then having to throw him in right away. We all loved Shawn Hill because he was much better then Smith was... But all Shawn Hill really is, is a good back up QB... nothing wrong wit that... when Matthew Stafford is hurt he has looked good coming in.

Nobody is making Troy into the "next great QB." If a Phillip Rivers-type is available when we pick, we'd have to strongly consider taking a QB regardless of how good Troy does. However, the only guy who comes close to Rivers in the 2011 draft is Andrew Luck, but we will have ZERO shot at him.

Here's the breakdown of scenarios (IMO):

1.) Draft Luck if he's available when you pick, regardless
2.) If Troy falters, use the draft (high pick) or free agency to address QB
3.) If Troy continues his solid play and Luck isn't available, use your high picks to grab BPA (and not just QB). Consider Troy as a good enough, stop-gap QB solution for now while you plug the other major holes. You can then use 2012/2013 to find the QB of the future

I just don't see Locker, Mallett or Stanzi as franchise-type QBs and/or ready to step in any time soon and make a difference...given our other glaring needs (and how high we'll likely be picking), it might make more sense to draft BPA (adding to our overall talent) as opposed to targeting a QB with a high pick and hoping things pan out with questionable prospects at the most critical position on the team.

Well i think Cam Newton can be a "Phillip Rivers type" franchise QB if he gets to sit for a year behind a good offensive staff... If our current coaches are still in place it would be a waste of a pick to draft a QB.

Also doesn't matter what Troy Smith does the rest of the year (i really doubt he is going to fall apart), He will be the starting Quarterback next year, Unless we give a boat load of money to Vick. If we are able to draft a QB in the draft, he will be groomed for 2012.
Here's the new top 25 from Kiper:

QBs
Luck--1
Mallett--8
Newton--15
Locker--17

Whoa! Locker's droppin'...again, Mel can be a tool and it's just a measure stick compared to others like Scout's Inc. who has these rankings:

Luck--1
Locker--15
Mallett--18
Newton--34

I wonder how soon Scouts will change their evaluation ranking of Newton cause you know its going to happen.

CBSsports in association with NFLDRAFTSCOUT.com has a nice article on Netwon, too.
Linky

They bumped up Newton all the way to #1 ahead of Mallett.

Newton is rising...
How long has he been playing? Not ready period for the NFL. Plus he is on a team loaded with talent, yes he pushes the team over the line from top 15 to top 10. However, his talent at this point in time is not conducive to the NFL game. Unlike the NBA, and particularly at QB, they need more seasoning. Also, I smell arrogance on his and his family's part and not the good kind of arrogance.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
How long has he been playing? Not ready period for the NFL. Plus he is on a team loaded with talent, yes he pushes the team over the line from top 15 to top 10. However, his talent at this point in time is not conducive to the NFL game. Unlike the NBA, and particularly at QB, they need more seasoning. Also, I smell arrogance on his and his family's part and not the good kind of arrogance.

Well he did win 2009 NJCAA National Football Championship and was ranked the number one QB from either high school or junior college by Rivals.com, and he was their only 5-star QB recruit.

Also is this the new way to knock Cam Newton? That he is playing on this stacked team? They were not even a top 25 team to start the year.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by WildBill:

Well he did win 2009 NJCAA National Football Championship and was ranked the number one QB from either high school or junior college by Rivals.com, and he was their only 5-star QB recruit.

Also is this the new way to knock Cam Newton? That he is playing on this stacked team? They were not even a top 25 team to start the year.

Anyone who says Auburn is a "stacked" team, doesn't watch much SEC football.

Newton is the whole reason why Auburn is good.

They are not stacked, now Alabama is, with mcelroy, richardson, ingram, jones, etc...
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

They are not stacked, now Alabama is, with mcelroy, richardson, ingram, jones, etc...

yeah. they were nothing before the season and now they're the #2 team in the country.

That's a lot different than going from "top 15 to top 10."

This whole Cam Newton situation is really interesting to me though. You watch him and he's clearly the best, or one of the best, players on the field, a supremely talented athlete and born football player, all he does is win, and people have to come out of the woodwork to doubt him--not only as a person but as a football player. I think that part of it is that people try to find holes in situations that look too good to be true--its like a self-fulfiling prophecy: its hard to believe that someone is that good, so you find ways to believe that he's not that good.

And, frankly, I'm so tired of this "he can't do that in the NFL talk." Whose fault is that? Honestly, I blame the NFL that so many of these game-changing QB's don't translate the NFL. It is a stodgy and "tradition-bound" league that doesn't know what to do with dynamic athletes at QB. IF coordinators and coaches were willing to do it, I see no reason why the NFL couldn't find ways for the Cam Newtons, Tim Tebows, Pat Whites, Mike Vicks, etc, etc, etc, to succeed.

I could be wrong, but I just feel like NFL decision makers have certain prototypes in mind and are incapable of seeing the value of anything else.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

yeah. they were nothing before the season and now they're the #2 team in the country.

This whole Cam Newton situation is really interesting to me though. You watch him and he's clearly the best, or one of the best, players on the field, a supremely talented athlete and born football player, all he does is win, and people have to come out of the woodwork to doubt him--not only as a person but as a football player. I think that part of it is that people try to find holes in situations that look too good to be true--its like a self-fulfiling prophecy: its hard to believe that someone is that good, so you find ways to believe that he's not that good.

And, frankly, I'm so tired of this "he can't do that in the NFL talk." Whose fault is that? Honestly, I blame the NFL that so many of these game-changing QB's don't translate the NFL. It is a stodgy and "tradition-bound" league that doesn't know what to do with dynamic athletes at QB. IF coordinators and coaches were willing to do it, I see no reason why the NFL couldn't find ways for the Cam Newtons, Tim Tebows, Pat Whites, Mike Vicks, etc, etc, etc, to succeed.

I could be wrong, but I just feel like NFL decision makers have certain prototypes in mind and are incapable of seeing the value of anything else.

agreed, right now I do not have Newton as a 1st rd pick, i have him mid 2nd, but Im sure by draft time will have made it to the 1st round.

agreed, right now I do not have Newton as a 1st rd pick, i have him mid 2nd, but Im sure by draft time will have made it to the 1st round.

i think he could definitely go in the first, if Tebow went in the first, Newton can. Watching Tebow in college it was obvious that he was a great player but had some real deficiencies throwing the ball--and I don't believe Newton has those same deficiencies. But I could also seeing him going in the 2nd, mostly because he'll be a "one-wear wonder" on the national D-1 stage, and because of the way NFL teams evaluate QB's.

I think he is a project, no doubt, but I think he's a good player.

i think he could definitely go in the first, if Tebow went in the first, Newton can. Watching Tebow in college it was obvious that he was a great player but had some real deficiencies throwing the ball--and I don't believe Newton has those same deficiencies. But I could also seeing him going in the 2nd, mostly because he'll be a "one-wear wonder" on the national D-1 stage, and because of the way NFL teams evaluate QB's.

I think he is a project, no doubt, but I think he's a good player.

i agree 100%, he will be a 1st rd pick, and has tons of talent, but is RAW ala Tebow and how Young was coming out of Texas.
Share 49ersWebzone