There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What do y'all think of Cam Newton?

Originally posted by communist:
i just dont get why this guy should go in the first as a qb-prospect...

because he's the best player in college football, and has all the measurables for the position, skills that can't be taught, and is the single difference between Auburn being in the national championship hunt and finishing somewhere in the middle of the SEC West...

I'm not saying that I would take him over Luck--no way. But if Jake Locker is still a lock first round pick, then why not Newton? He's a project, yeah, but so what.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

I agree completely and would at the moment be perfectly content drafting him in the first round. I think he can be another game-changing QB and the character concerns don't bother me. It seems that his father is more of the problem anyway.
you would be satisfied if the niners picked him in the first???

I would be completely 100% satisfied but since he will most likely be the #1 overall pick i doubt we will have a chance at him.

NO WAY he goes over Luck, aka the next Peyton Manning. Who would you rather have, possibly the next VY or possibly the next Peyton? Give me Luck all day. I'll be surprised if Cam goes in the top 15, my guess is he gets picked around 20. He'll take a few years to learn how to play QB in the NFL.

I think Luck is a very good QB and would love to draft him, but the "next Peyton Manning"? Ummmm are you insane??? and for Cam if he finishes the season and continues to play like he is.... nfl coaches will be drooling to draft this guy high because of all the tools he has... Plus i know its not something you can measure but he took his junior college team to a national championship, and as of right now Auburn is in line to play for the national title... You cant teach winning.
[ Edited by Jcool on Nov 14, 2010 at 9:05 AM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

I agree completely and would at the moment be perfectly content drafting him in the first round. I think he can be another game-changing QB and the character concerns don't bother me. It seems that his father is more of the problem anyway.
you would be satisfied if the niners picked him in the first???

I would be completely 100% satisfied but since he will most likely be the #1 overall pick i doubt we will have a chance at him.

NO WAY he goes over Luck, aka the next Peyton Manning. Who would you rather have, possibly the next VY or possibly the next Peyton? Give me Luck all day. I'll be surprised if Cam goes in the top 15, my guess is he gets picked around 20. He'll take a few years to learn how to play QB in the NFL.

I think Luck is a very good QB and would love to draft him, but the "next Peyton Manning"? Ummmm are you insane??? and for Cam if finishes the season and continues to play like he his.... nfl coaches will be drooling to draft this guy high because of all the tools he has... Plus i know its not something you can measure but he took his junior college team to a national championship, and as of right now Auburn is in line to play for the national title... You cant teach winning.

yeah, great point. That's why you gotta compare Newton to VY. VY was a project coming out, but he was a difference maker and leader and winner at the game's most important position. You can't measure or quantify what makes a guy a winner, but when a guy has "it" you have to pay attention. If NFL teams can't figure out how to use a player like Cam Newton to their advantage, then they need to find another line of work.
I'm so sick of hearing about this over rated ball hog Newton won't be long until they report on a the dumps he takes, I'd hate to be a WR or RB on his team you never get to see any action. Its alot easier for the QB to run then the RB because the QB can just take the ball and run. Which gives the defense less time to react. His style of play will never work in the NFL because the defenses are much faster. The best guy on Auburn by far is Darvin Adams he's the best WR in all of the NCAA he's actually the best WR I've ever seen period. I'm hoping Newton enters the draft so Auburn can get a real QB and Pro Scouts get a chance to see how good Adams is they will never see Adams play as long as ball hog Newton is there.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrsk13:
I'm so sick of hearing about this over rated ball hog Newton won't be long until they report on a the dumps he takes, I'd hate to be a WR or RB on his team you never get to see any action. Its alot easier for the QB to run then the RB because the QB can just take the ball and run. Which gives the defense less time to react. His style of play will never work in the NFL because the defenses are much faster. The best guy on Auburn by far is Darvin Adams he's the best WR in all of the NCAA he's actually the best WR I've ever seen period. I'm hoping Newton enters the draft so Auburn can get a real QB and Pro Scouts get a chance to see how good Adams is they will never see Adams play as long as ball hog Newton is there.

Its mind numbing that there are people who think Newton is an NFL qb. But then again we still see posts about colt brennan and pat white as well. Let's trade for brad jones. He can 'make all the throws' and ran for a s**tload of yards in college.

you dont watch Auburn much do you? Because if you did, you would realize that Guss Malzone's offense is a spread - RUN offense....designed to play around Cam's strengths....in run situations, it is important for Cam to realize which way the D is coming from, and to make the decision to keep the ball or take the ball all in a matter of 1 second. Have you seen all his RBs stats? They all share the load....all posting great numbers.

You cant say he is a ball hog when the play is a run play 70% of the time. For good reason the opposing Ds know that the play is coming yet cant stop him or that O. He is not a ball hog...He is special. Know way Auburn would be in this position if Cam decides to audible to passes and let their rb's take the ball more. And whats more, you dont hear them complaining.
Originally posted by jojomellon:
Its mind numbing that there are people who think Newton is an NFL qb. But then again we still see posts about colt brennan and pat white as well. Let's trade for brad jones. He can 'make all the throws' and ran for a s**tload of yards in college.

Newton has an arm. He has an amazing arm in fact. Much stronger than Tebow. There were passes last night that he made, that made my jaw hit the floor, that I didnt think he could make.

All Im saying is that Tebow can go in the first, then Newton should as well. 6'6 250 that can run like a deer. Has an arm (a little funky delivery), and effective. And is smart enough to recognize Ds. Yes he is a NFL qb, but would need some toutelage.
It doesnt help when people make Vince Young Comparisons

VY has 41 tds and 41 ints in his career, with a 75% passer rating

and has one of the best coaches (not imo) and rb's in the game.

If someone were to ask, who would you take Luck vs VY? Im sure a majority would go with luck
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:

If someone were to ask, who would you take Luck vs VY? Im sure a majority would go with luck

I really doubt a majority of people would take a college prospect over a proven nfl QB
Originally posted by ads_2006:

that is a good point. VY was a project coming out of college just like Newton is. But VY has been very good the last year and a half--yeah, maybe his numbers aren't jaw-dropping, but he basically took an 0-6 Titans team and put them into the playoff picture and has them right in the mix this season as well.

My point is just that these "project QB's" need time, but if they have all the measurables and the immeasurables as well, then I don't see why it wouldn't be worth it to take them.
I've seen enough of Cam to know that if he is drafted as a QB will be the next Jamarcus Russell the biggest bust ever, if he gets drafted will be a TE Darvin Adams has the most potential to make it to the next level not sold on Newton at all Adams does it all route running catch anything thrown to him breaks tackles like a Fullback blocks tackles special teams name it the guy is the best I've ever seen!!!!! I'll wait for his throwing attempts to go way up and see if he maintains his rating(He's not even in the top 30) before I look at him as a real QB.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

you dont watch Auburn much do you? Because if you did, you would realize that Guss Malzone's offense is a spread - RUN offense....designed to play around Cam's strengths....in run situations, it is important for Cam to realize which way the D is coming from, and to make the decision to keep the ball or take the ball all in a matter of 1 second. Have you seen all his RBs stats? They all share the load....all posting great numbers.

You cant say he is a ball hog when the play is a run play 70% of the time. For good reason the opposing Ds know that the play is coming yet cant stop him or that O. He is not a ball hog...He is special. Know way Auburn would be in this position if Cam decides to audible to passes and let their rb's take the ball more. And whats more, you dont hear them complaining.
Numbers never lie Cam Newtons rushing attempts 206 passing attempts 198 makes him a RB first QB second Dyer rushing attempts 137 not even in the top 30 in the NCAA Darvin Adams 39 receptions again not even in the top 30 in the NCAA.

Numbers never lie Cam Newtons rushing attempts 206 passing attempts 198 makes him a RB first QB second Dyer rushing attempts 137 not even in the top 30 in the NCAA Darvin Adams 39 receptions again not even in the top 30 in the NCAA.

Again....you dont watch AU play much, and looking at the numbers tell you....they are a RUN FIRST TEAM. Should they abandon what works so well, just so they could pass more? Uh, No. They run almost 70% of the time dude. Re-Read what I was explaining to you about AU's offense, K?

No Offense, but enough already. Your argument is a FAIL
[ Edited by ninerlifer on Nov 14, 2010 at 11:58 AM ]

Again....you dont watch AU play much, and looking at the numbers tell you....they are a RUN FIRST TEAM. Should they abandon what works so well, just so they could pass more? Uh, No. They run almost 70% of the time dude. Re-Read what I was explaining to you about AU's offense, K?

No Offense, but enough already. Your argument is a FAIL

No, Auburn should run every play if it works. Just dont tell me their run first QB is going to amount to a hill of beans in the NFL, because thatd be pretty naive.