There are 265 users in the forums

Locker v. Luck, The Great QB Debate

Locker v. Luck, The Great QB Debate

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by teeohh:
We're not going to have either

Hopefully. Neither has shown enough that they can be franchise QBs at the next level. Luck needs to stay in college one more year and Locker is all over the place during long stretches.

Are you serious? Both are considered the top QBs in the next draft (if Luck declares). A few analysts said that Locker would've been the first QB taken in the last draft had he declared. Both have two years experience in a pro style offense. Both have quick releases, mobile in the pocket. Luck has great accuracy and decision making skills, while Locker has a cannon and speed to break a run for a huge gain.

Luck has shown this season that he can handle being the leader that carries the team. The same goes with Locker since Washington has no talent. Also, Locker has only had one bad game this year and it was against arguably the best defense in the nation in Nebraska.

I agree. The Niners would be thrilled to get either of the two. Luck has everything it takes to be a star in the NFL. I would do anything I could to move up in the draft to get him. While I am not quite as high on Locker there is no doubt that he has the arm and the feet to be a solid QB at the next level. Crazy to say they havent shown enough.

I posted this before, but I compare Luck to Eli Manning and Locker to a more athletic Ben Roethlisberger.

I'd be ecstatic to have either one.
I know it's early (very early actually), but WalterFootball has released another updated mock. This time, they have us selecting Jake Locker with the fourth pick in the draft.

Quote:
# San Francisco 49ers: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
Did you listen to the crowd during the Eagles-49ers game? "WE WANT CARR!!! WE WANT CARR!!! WE WANT CARR!!!" No one has ever wanted David Carr before - that's how desperate the quarterbacking situation is in San Francisco.

Alex Smith absolutely stinks, and the 49ers really need a franchise signal-caller. Jake Locker had a miserable outing against Nebraska, but has since rebounded nicely.

Pick change; previously Patrick Peterson, CB

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I know it's early (very early actually), but WalterFootball has released another updated mock. This time, they have us selecting Jake Locker with the fourth pick in the draft.

Quote:
# San Francisco 49ers: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
Did you listen to the crowd during the Eagles-49ers game? "WE WANT CARR!!! WE WANT CARR!!! WE WANT CARR!!!" No one has ever wanted David Carr before - that's how desperate the quarterbacking situation is in San Francisco.

Alex Smith absolutely stinks, and the 49ers really need a franchise signal-caller. Jake Locker had a miserable outing against Nebraska, but has since rebounded nicely.

Pick change; previously Patrick Peterson, CB

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

As long as Singletary isn't here if and when we draft a QB very high. I have the utmost confidence he would ruin a young QB. Lets just please hire an offensive minded experienced HC, develop a freaking QB and win some games.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Redshirt-sophomores-on-the-horizon.html

"Andrew Luck: Stanford (6-4, 235)
In my opinion he’s the best quarterback prospect in the nation. Luck is a smart, accurate kid who possesses good confidence in the pocket, is able to quickly decipher information and gets the ball out on time. Plus, he’s a good enough athlete to buy time for himself, has a strong enough arm to make all the throws and has experience in an NFL-style offense. Now, there is some concern about taking a redshirt sophomore quarterback in the first round as history shows there hasn’t been a ton of former RS sophomores who have had a ton of success (Mike Vick, Todd Marinovich and Tommy Maddox are three that come to mind). However, what Luck has going for him is that he’s mature beyond his years and he’s a levelheaded kid who loves the game and wants to get better. His age might be a bit of a concern to some, but he will end up starting two straight seasons, will come close to 700 throws by the end of the year and seems to possess that poise and “it” factor to make it as an upper echelon NFL starting quarterback."

I'm just sayin'
It's so nice that we decided to suck so completely bad the same year that we have an unheard of number of teams suck even worse than us, so that we will most likely not have a chance at either of these great QBs, or any good coaches either. I'm so sick of sucking.
Originally posted by RMuTT1981:
I haven't seen Locker(like his name) but couldn't tell you sheet about him,
but I saw Luck Absolutely blast a CB after a fumble, hit him so hard the cb fumbled as well.

So my vote is Luck. Guy is a winner.

Watching the USC game you just knew he was gonna drive them down the field and get a score, it was like when joe was back there you knew we weere gonna score with a minute left, everybody knew joe did, the other team did, the announcers, etc....

Anyway I'm not saying he's another Joe but I did get that same feeling watching that game.

[video]null[/video]

Dude, thats such f**king BS. Luck did a head-to-head hit and gets no flag. When we play,we get PF flags for more clean hits. Hell we got a PF flag for a helmet-to-helmet tap that had no chance of hurting the guy, Luck could have easily put that USC player to sleep with such a violent helmet-to-helmet.

That kind of stuff pisses me off because every ASU game I see we get so many damn PF flags on borderline calls. Yet we are the dirty team and Luck is just a swell guy, lol.

[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Oct 21, 2010 at 22:05:27 ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
but I saw Luck Absolutely blast a CB after a fumble, hit him so hard the cb fumbled as well.

Watching the USC game you just knew he was gonna drive them down the field and get a score, it was like when joe was back there you knew we weere gonna score with a minute left, everybody knew joe did, the other team did, the announcers, etc....

Anyway I'm not saying he's another Joe but I did get that same feeling watching that game.

[video]null[/video]

Dude, thats such f**king BS. Luck did a head-to-head hit and gets no flag. When we play,we get PF flags for more clean hits. Hell we got a PF flag for a helmet-to-helmet tap that had no chance of hurting the guy, Luck could have easily put that USC player to sleep with such a violent helmet-to-helmet.

That kind of stuff pisses me off because every ASU game I see we get so many damn PF flags on borderline calls. Yet we are the dirty team and Luck is just a swell guy, lol.

are you really complaining about a hit a QB gave a DB. lol
Originally posted by ea_thegreat:

[video]null[/video]

Yeah I am. ASU is one of the most penalized teams in the country for several years now. Of course we deserve some of the flags. But we also get what I call "reputation" flags so damn often, where its a borderline call, they will always call us.

Luck's hit was a flagrant helmet-to-helmet. You telling me its not? But he got a free pass even though it was clearly illegal.

And why does it matter if its QB on DB hit? Maybe you couldn't tell from the replay but Luck has about 40lbs on the guy.

I'm not even a USC fan, but I think its dumb people think this is a "great" play by Luck. He is wayyyy bigger then Wright (I think thats the USC player) and did a dirty hit, it would be embarrassing if Wright didn't go down.

[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Oct 21, 2010 at 22:20:28 ]
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Redshirt-sophomores-on-the-horizon.html

"Andrew Luck: Stanford (6-4, 235)
In my opinion he’s the best quarterback prospect in the nation. Luck is a smart, accurate kid who possesses good confidence in the pocket, is able to quickly decipher information and gets the ball out on time. Plus, he’s a good enough athlete to buy time for himself, has a strong enough arm to make all the throws and has experience in an NFL-style offense. Now, there is some concern about taking a redshirt sophomore quarterback in the first round as history shows there hasn’t been a ton of former RS sophomores who have had a ton of success (Mike Vick, Todd Marinovich and Tommy Maddox are three that come to mind). However, what Luck has going for him is that he’s mature beyond his years and he’s a levelheaded kid who loves the game and wants to get better. His age might be a bit of a concern to some, but he will end up starting two straight seasons, will come close to 700 throws by the end of the year and seems to possess that poise and “it” factor to make it as an upper echelon NFL starting quarterback."

I'm just sayin'

Totally agree. As intriguing as Locker is as a prospect, Luck is a sure thing IMO.

[video]null[/video]

Yeah I am. ASU is one of the most penalized teams in the country for several years now. Of course we deserve some of the flags. But we also get what I call "reputation" flags so damn often, where its a borderline call, they will always call us.

Luck's hit was a flagrant helmet-to-helmet. You telling me its not? But he got a free pass even though it was clearly illegal.

And why does it matter if its QB on DB hit? Maybe you couldn't tell from the replay but Luck has about 40lbs on the guy.

I'm not even a USC fan, but I think its dumb people think this is a "great" play by Luck. He is wayyyy bigger then Wright (I think thats the USC player) and did a dirty hit, it would be embarrassing if Wright didn't go down.

HAHA ASU... Im only laughing because of Dennis Erickson, I graduated from Oregon State and i loved Dennis Erickson but man does he not know how to control is players... He isa great coach, but when he was at OSU we were getting all these unnessary ruffness, late hits, personal fouls all the time and it was just funny becuase he does not seem to care at all....
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by al49erfan:

[video]null[/video]

HAHA ASU... Im only laughing because of Dennis Erickson, I graduated from Oregon State and i loved Dennis Erickson but man does he not know how to control is players... He isa great coach, but when he was at OSU we were getting all these unnessary ruffness, late hits, personal fouls all the time and it was just funny becuase he does not seem to care at all....

Even when he was at Miami, the players were crazy. They were also crazy with Jimmy Johnson too, but Erickson didn't quiet the noise either.

Anyway that's for another thread.
Luck's stock goes up while Locker needs to finish strong. Some of it is not his fault as his team just isn't that good. But as a number one pick, you have to play up to bigger oponents.
Gotta go with Luck better pocket passer along with better reads than Locker oh and he is more accurate! Buffalo is going to get a heck of a QB because chances are they go no better than 3-13...Fitzpatrick does look good for them though
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Tracy49er:
Gotta go with Luck better pocket passer along with better reads than Locker oh and he is more accurate! Buffalo is going to get a heck of a QB because chances are they go no better than 3-13...Fitzpatrick does look good for them though

I honestly think Buffalo will have a better record than us.
Share 49ersWebzone