LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 311 users in the forums

Locker v. Luck, The Great QB Debate

Locker v. Luck, The Great QB Debate

Originally posted by Byisgod:
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Ponder will be the best Qb coming out of this draft class. I hope we manage to trade for an extra first rounder. Prince and Ponder 2011.

He's a decent prospect, but his decision making worries me. He stares down his prime target way too long then goes off running. His footwork also needs some work. Should be available in the middle of the 1st.
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Ponder will be the best Qb coming out of this draft class. I hope we manage to trade for an extra first rounder. Prince and Ponder 2011.

Please explain. You may be right, but I just now started looking into Ponder as an option. Good size, from what I've read he has a decent arm, and watching him, he looks more NFL-like than Locker, clearly not as athletic, but a decent athlete non-the-less. Who does he compare to?
Originally posted by SF69ers:

He's a decent prospect, but his decision making worries me. He stares down his prime target way too long then goes off running. His footwork also needs some work. Should be available in the middle of the 1st.

I think his stock might fall a bit. So maybe the 2nd. I'm still really high on him though. Stanzi as well.

I think his stock might fall a bit. So maybe the 2nd. I'm still really high on him though. Stanzi as well.

Yea you're right. His play has dropped off a little bit this season. However, if the team doesn't have a shot in selecting Locker or Luck (if he declares), I'd choose Stanzi over Ponder in the 2nd.
Here's a couple cool videos for the battle of the QBs.

Jake Locker

Andrew Luck

I don't know why, but when I look at the two of these QBs, it reminds me of the Eli Manning vs. Ben Roethlisberger debate. Luck's play looks a bit like Manning's while Locker looks like a more athletic Roethlisberger.

Agh! This is so hard for me to choose. Obviously Luck is the more polished of the two. But I believe both can be very good at the next level.
Originally posted by Hades49:

Jake Locker

Andrew Luck

I don't know why, but when I look at the two of these QBs, it reminds me of the Eli Manning vs. Ben Roethlisberger debate. Luck's play looks a bit like Manning's while Locker looks like a more athletic Roethlisberger.

Agh! This is so hard for me to choose. Obviously Luck is the more polished of the two. But I believe both can be very good at the next level.

It just really depends on who our coaching staff is. Luck is more polished and will probably make a quicker transition to the pros. Locker might need a season to sit and learn, but his upside is undeniable. I'd honestly be happy with either one, but I'd take Luck over Locker if given the opportunity.
There is deff. a west coast bias towards Luck. Personally I don't see whats so special about him. His lack of arm strength is especially what scares me.
There is deff. a west coast bias towards Luck. Personally I don't see whats so special about him. His lack of arm strength is especially what scares me.

There's probably some bias but when draftniks and draft analysts talk about Luck being the top QB in the draft if he declares means something. If you watch the little highlight video I posted, he makes some pretty good throws from 40-50 yards. Obviously, he doesn't have a cannon like Locker's arm, but he throws a very accurate spiral. Ponder's throws tend to wobble a bit and his accuracy has always been suspect.
Frankly, these days I'm tired of the "strong arm, physical size" argument. It only takes you so far (as we all should know by now). I'm looking for the guy who has great footwork and excellent accuracy. Joe Montana anyone? Give me Andrew Luck... and no, I don't live on the West Coast and have no allegiance toward Stanford or any college team for that matter. Just give me a good quarterback FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!

I'm not on the west coast, and I favor Luck. I don't know where this lack of arm strength complaint is coming from, he has a great arm. Watch the video posted above, you'll see him hit guys in stride on 40-50 yd passes through the air.

Originally posted by communist:
just a second, how long has he been playing in a pro-style offense?

Is this the question you were waiting to be answered? Locker and Luck are in their second seasons in a pro style offense.
I'd take Luck coz we could use some of that too.
Originally posted by RMuTT1981:
I haven't seen Locker(like his name) but couldn't tell you sheet about him,
but I saw Luck Absolutely blast a CB after a fumble, hit him so hard the cb fumbled as well.

So my vote is Luck. Guy is a winner.

Watching the USC game you just knew he was gonna drive them down the field and get a score, it was like when joe was back there you knew we weere gonna score with a minute left, everybody knew joe did, the other team did, the announcers, etc....

Anyway I'm not saying he's another Joe but I did get that same feeling watching that game.

[video]null[/video]

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hades49:

Jake Locker

Andrew Luck

Lockers pass at the 1:50 mark in the video. 3rd and 15 and puts it perfectly between 3 defenders

Ugh kinda tough decision, but I would go with Luck. Luck just seems like a guy who will be good in the NFL. May never be the best QB in the league but like an Eli Manning or whatever can definitely win you a superbowl.

Locker seems like a guy who could very well turn into a top NFL QB, but may also be a mediocre-ish type QB too. I do like Lockers deceptive speed and ability to run the ball, his ability to run reminds me of Steve Young.

Ultimately when drafting that high, I think Luck is the safer bet and would take him. However I do think we will get enough wins to put us out of the Luck race and more in the Locker race.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I live in Hawaii, but also lived in the Bay Area, but I could careless if Luck went to New Mexico St. or Washington St.. We need him on our team.
Share 49ersWebzone