LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

Positions you want to see drafted next year

1. NT- We need to stop the "we don't have a true NT" talk. We do. The only question is, will we have him for the longterm? We need draft a potential starter at this position because as of right now, if we were to lose Aubrayo Franklin next year, we are toast.

2. CB- I like the trip of Brown/Spencer/Clements. The extra corner is jsut a nice insurance policy. Clements will be in year 5 in what in all likelihood is a 6 year deal next season. Time to start developing an eventual replacement or third corner in the event that we let him walk.

3. QB- Contingent upon the play of Alex Smith AND the development of Nate Davis.

4. DE- This pick is based solely upon what happens with Kentawn Balmer this season. If he can come in and make consistent contributions, we're fine. If not, We may be drafting a DE in one of the first 3 rounds.

5. OLB- People like to rag on Manny Lawson, but he brings much more to the table than Parys Haralson. If Haralson cannot get consistent pressure on the QB and generate sacks (along with Brooks not panning out as a possible starter), we may need to look at a OLB in the later rounds.

6. C/G- After Heitman, center is a big ? mark. And right now, we have no one at the guard position that is a sure thing.
DE/OLB - We a serious player to provide pass rush and we haven't come close to addressing that in the draft or FA in years.

NT- (assuming we don't go long term with Franklin and/or RJF doesn't really surprise), neither of which I expect to happen.

CB- I think we can afford to go after this a little later becuase we've got at least another year left with Nate and Shawnte as starters and Terrel is pusing for a spot himself. But within two years, it would be nice to have an upgrade or third back once Nate is gone.

C- That's the last position on the line we need for the future. Hopefully we have the anwers at LT,LG,RG and RT for the next 5+ years. But Heitmann is not the long term answer and I doubt Baas will be either. (Though I am cautiously optomistic about it being ok in the short term.)

QB-If Alex doesn't prove something right away, this may become much higher, but frankly if that's the case, we may be better served trying to get a vet and groom a young guy rather than going boom or bust on a first rounder again.
RB if dixon doesnt work out

Shane Vareen
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
DE/OLB - We a serious player to provide pass rush and we haven't come close to addressing that in the draft or FA in years.

NT- (assuming we don't go long term with Franklin and/or RJF doesn't really surprise), neither of which I expect to happen.

CB- I think we can afford to go after this a little later becuase we've got at least another year left with Nate and Shawnte as starters and Terrel is pusing for a spot himself. But within two years, it would be nice to have an upgrade or third back once Nate is gone.

C- That's the last position on the line we need for the future. Hopefully we have the anwers at LT,LG,RG and RT for the next 5+ years. But Heitmann is not the long term answer and I doubt Baas will be either. (Though I am cautiously optomistic about it being ok in the short term.)

QB-If Alex doesn't prove something right away, this may become much higher, but frankly if that's the case, we may be better served trying to get a vet and groom a young guy rather than going boom or bust on a first rounder again.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
RB if dixon doesnt work out

Shane Vareen
Lol that's what I came to post, maybe he's there in the third round
NT, RB, CB, OLB, DE
i dont think we need an NT anymore RJF really did good yesterday and that was his first offseason practicing as an NT if he keeps it up he can be very good so NT IMO will not be a first round need anymore

1 pass rush
2 CB
3 C (doesnt have to be a 3rd round just a need for when heitmann retires)
4. a speed back ( MROB isnt a RB)
i'd like to get a CB
and sign a vet QB
make that to go please
CB- Someone who can step up and provide quality depth and a possible future starter. Nate has been on the edge but hopefully Brown can eventually take over.

DE- Balmer was a BUST

OG- Back up that can push Chilo

C- Heitmann isn't getting any younger and who knows what's gonna happen with Baas.

NT- If Franklin isn't resigned after the season this player can possibly be a back up to RJF
QB, CB, OLB, DE, C

Moore from Boise St. is a guy I have had my eye on for years. Obviously, Locker is another.

Center is another position at the middle to end of the first round that we could keep an eye on.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Not just positions but the players I wanna see us draft:

Greg Romeous - OLB/DE

Brandon Harris (Jr.) - CB

Phil Taylor - NT

Jerrell Powe - NT

Adrian Taylor - 3-4 DE

QB's:

Pat Devlin
Ryan Mallet
Ricky Stanzi
Greg McElroy
Kevin Riley

Whether if Smith doesn't have a good year or to replace David Carr as back up or give Nate Davis some competition.

Other than that, I like our situation at RB, WR, TE and the O-line.

I really like Mallet, but I must admit I don't watch that much college football, so I don't know how he fares with the other names. I imagine he'll be going near the top of the draft however, so I don't think we'll have a shot at him unfortunately.
QB
  • titan
  • Veteran
It's looking like a QB,CB,DT,C
Not in this order but a few needs are

NT to replace Franklin and or/depth
MLB-in case the replacement for Spikes dont pan out
DE
CB for Depth
QB if we cant get anyone via FA
RB I know Westbrook is a short term solution, Dixon is long term but u never know.. if the opportunity is there to get a quality back.. pull the trigger.
Originally posted by titan:
It's looking like a QB,CB,DT,C

+1
Share 49ersWebzone