There are 199 users in the forums

******* 49ers Draft Grade so far (Vote) *******

******* 49ers Draft Grade so far (Vote) *******

Originally posted by communist:
still no speed at the offense, neither at WR (kyle williams is too small actually and ted ginn isnt a reliable WR) nor at RB. at least we improved our o-line and we got a blocking TE...no covering SS, no real good CB and i dont know if the niners can pass-rush consistently against the better teams. thus once again we could get big problems at defending the pass...very lethal in a pass-happy league.

No grade?

Still you put your finger on the problem with this draft.

No SPEED.

A very amatuerishly run draft. A panic at the outset which cost the team a fourth rounder that was sorely needed later on. No legitimate cb. No safety to cover the third receiver, as you point out.

An immature fascination with the workout numbers for Mays . . . but he hasn't shown any skills as a player. The only redemption that I see for him is if he is used as a hybrid linebacker to put pressure on the passer . . . but that's a big reach because we don't know if he can do that. Lord knows, we need an enhanced pass rush. Opponents will light us up with their passing game. With a desperate need for speed in the defensive backfield, the team drafts a MLB, a RB who seems to fits Coffee's description, and a slow blocking TE!!??

I agree with the first round pick at OT. But not the guard with our second pick. That should have come later, with all the other critical needs requiring resolution. BTW I don't believe that either of the first rounders are shoe-in pro bowlers . . . they're going to need serious coaching (do we have that . . . really?). Davis has the physique, but he has the reputation for being a slacker. If he is predisposed to being that way, he will never be great . . . motivator or no motivator. Still, now that it's done, let's hope that it all works out and the team does not have to visit the OL issue for a LONG time. That possibiltity is certainly a positive.

Very dissapointed with the picks taken after the first round.

The draft could have been managed better. Getting more picks and filling more needs. Like I said . . . Amatuerish.

Grade: a solid C.

PS: Ooops! I forgot to factor in the Ginn trade for the 5th pick.

Revised grade: A solid C+
[ Edited by Rsrkshn on Apr 24, 2010 at 5:28 PM ]
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by northshore:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I gave it an F, too many reaches, not enough immediate help for a team that THINKS it can make the play offs. This is a coach killing draft. We filled needs at O-line that we could have filled through free agency with guys who MIGHT be ready. We appear to have loaded up with talent to run the most boring Singletary run run punt offense ever, great more predictable play calling coming soon! Bad draft bad direction bad coaching bad ownership, the only thing this team has going for it is us die hard fans!

We filled the needs Mel Kiper and all the media whores said we should! That spells trouble.

We still lack speed on both sides of the ball at way too many positions!
We still lack a RB that spreads the defense
We still lack a speed Wide out Ted Ginn really is a kick returner, thats all.
We are still one D-linemen short of having 3 starter for our 3-4
We still lack a pure pass rush OLB
We still lack a speed CB
But we have to frickin awesome prospects at O-line!

Hope I am way wrong, even if I am not I will still root for my beloved Niners!

I hate idiots likeyou....I really do

I hate when people respond to opposing points of view with personal insults.

I know, I'm not sure if I can recover from being insulted by a child! LOL
I voted an A

Why? Not for the players but for their vision.

It looks like they knew what they were doing this year. They had certain players in mind and went after them.

Other years it looks like a haphazzard draft. All over the place. Drafting Qb's to be RB. Why not just draft a RB. Drafting QB to be receivers or drafting TE to linemen.

At least this time I can understand where the players fit.
I'm normally fiercely critical and purposely waited until after the first few UDFA's started rolling in before judging completely.

Up to UDFA I'd have probably gone with a straight B.

With the impact guys we got as UDFA's I'm now scoring this draft as an A-.
I gave an A+; because we drafted for needs, instead of wants. I was just surprised about the UDFA pick-ups like Blount, Vann, & the QB from WV, etc. Someone in here mentioned that M.Iupati & A.Davis reminded him of a young J.Sapolu & young S. Wallace. Well, if Manusky could work with Taylor Mays & coach him up properly, he could be our young Ronnie Lott. Enjoy...
Has anyone else noticed the 9ers did not draft a player under 230lbs until the comp. pick in the 6th?

The press conference photos with Davis and Iupati sandwhiching Singletary are sick. Even Mays is a lot bigger than Sing.
]
[ Edited by HessianDud on Apr 24, 2010 at 8:51 PM ]
A solid F as in Fysical!

Finally filled the major need at OL, but it will take time to jell. I don't buy the notion of a return to 3 yards and a cloud of dust approach as last year. Let's score first and often, then run the clock out.

Iupati will be a work in progress this season before replacing Baas/Rachal.

I'm also warming to the Mays pick. A future replacement of Lewis as backfield enforcer and no other position changes will need to be made to the DB.

We may get beat, but someone else is gettin beat up.
What I see this draft is an identity draft, we're defining ourselves for a new era.

whether or not we'll succeed depends on the coaching and players
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
Don't know how you guys are going with an A with this draft.

"A"! OL was the cake and Mays was the icing. Everything else will just help fill in the roster.
B+
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:
Don't know how you guys are going with an A with this draft.

stfu with your stupid name
Originally posted by remdob1:
Originally posted by dman:
I gave it an F, too many reaches, not enough immediate help for a team that THINKS it can make the play offs. This is a coach killing draft. We filled needs at O-line that we could have filled through free agency with guys who MIGHT be ready. We appear to have loaded up with talent to run the most boring Singletary run run punt offense ever, great more predictable play calling coming soon! Bad draft bad direction bad coaching bad ownership, the only thing this team has going for it is us die hard fans!

We filled the needs Mel Kiper and all the media whores said we should! That spells trouble.

We still lack speed on both sides of the ball at way too many positions!
We still lack a RB that spreads the defense
We still lack a speed Wide out Ted Ginn really is a kick returner, thats all.
We are still one D-linemen short of having 3 starter for our 3-4
We still lack a pure pass rush OLB
We still lack a speed CB
But we have to frickin awesome prospects at O-line!

Hope I am way wrong, even if I am not I will still root for my beloved Niners!

I agree with some of your points that we need more speed on offense and more secondary players that excel in space.

But I still give the draft a B, we needed O-Line badly and still have nice weapons for Alex, now hes protected.

Mays had a sick 40 time but Im not sure how hed do defending the pass and playing in the open field.

We will see ... solid draft so far though.

Meh, if you like Vanilla, it's okay, I just think we could have done more.

Vanilla. Pounding the ball is vanillia? (yes) Then it opens the secondary up for Crabs and VD- Maybe throw a little Ginn(everyone knows he can't catch, and coach Sully couldn't teach s**t to catch flies) in to really streach the secondary - I will take this vanilla because it comes with toppings!

Yes as a matter of fact that is exactly the definition of Vanilla offense, pound em till they roll up the corners and go deep! From 1960-1981 that was how it was done, nowadays defenses are to good for that simple style of play! To big to fast to smart to well coached, it always fails!

Trickery and deceit are the tools of a modern football coach!

What a Joke i hope your being sarcastic.
We got 2 BEASTS that are gonna open holes and keep Alex up to throw. We got a safety who if used correctly could be an ULTIMATE steal. Pete Carroll used him as an in the box safety. Although now I think we can let Dashon be a ballhawk type. Navorro will be solid with some coaching. Then we get another bruiser running back, which was the only thing I wish would have gone a little differently. I wish we could have got more of a scatback slasher HR hitter. The Byham pick also provides a TE that will be a 3rd tackle on goal line situations while also providing adequate hands. All in all I give the draft an.................. A-.

Only complaint was the want for a faster RB to complement the horses we already have.
Share 49ersWebzone