LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 240 users in the forums

49ers 1st round grade...

49ers 1st round grade...

Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
we fell for a jedi mind trick to move up 2 spots. We got robbed of a pick. For a raw 20 year old tackle who will get owned by opposing D's his first year, maybe two. The key is will Davis take it as a man, or pull a Kwame?

LOVE Iupati.

B-

Davis could have easily been taken before we got to him at #13. And he is way more physical than Bulaga. Plus he has a much higher upside than Bulaga. Also we have Singletary and although I don't like him in a lot of ways (sing) he is a great motivator. Look what he did with VD and Crabtree. He will motivate Davis. And if Davis doesn't get motivated he will drop his pants.

Im exstatic about picking 2 OL. That is what I wanted...I just hate that we got screwed out of another pick. Davis is gonna need a ton of coaching and will only get on the feild if there is an injury. Im expecting the worst with Davis, but hoping for the best, and I know his ceiling is sky high. I hope he is the real deal.

Don't worry, Davis will start next season. And by all accounts from Singletary's contacts, he works hard in practice.

He turned off some scouts because he is quiet and doesn't hop around all day long flapping his jaw like a Tim Tebow type, but I think it was greatly overblown; in fact, it's almost exactly like the Michael Oher situation a year ago.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Apr 23, 2010 at 12:57 AM ]
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Chief:
If we score Mays in the 2nd I will jerk off in Times Square.

Yes !!!

So, just another day for you?
Two offensive linemen ain't sexy, but neither is a halfback with no holes to zip through and receivers running free in the secondary while the quarterback is running for his life.

Build the line first and all things flow from there. The O-line was a patchwork affair and now it these two pan out it could be a strength and if Snyder and Rachal don't have to start, we might have some depth now.

I don't give out "A's" until it's clear if a pick is a stud or a dud, but I'll give the Niners a solid "B" for the first round.
I am drafting Frank Gore with my first pick in my fantasy draft. Believe that!!!!!!
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by Shaj:
we fell for a jedi mind trick to move up 2 spots. We got robbed of a pick. For a raw 20 year old tackle who will get owned by opposing D's his first year, maybe two. The key is will Davis take it as a man, or pull a Kwame?

LOVE Iupati.

B-

Davis could have easily been taken before we got to him at #13. And he is way more physical than Bulaga. Plus he has a much higher upside than Bulaga. Also we have Singletary and although I don't like him in a lot of ways (sing) he is a great motivator. Look what he did with VD and Crabtree. He will motivate Davis. And if Davis doesn't get motivated he will drop his pants.

I think this "motivator" thing that Sing has is overrated. Why weren't Chilo Rachel, Adam Snynder, and Kentwan Balmer motivated by Sing to do better than they did last year?

LOL. Those guys just have no talent. This guy does. Singletary can mold and shape those with some talent. But guys with zero talent nobody can do anything with.

Seriously, guys like Balmer, Snyder, and Rachel were the b*****d children of the McCloughan era!

Scot was just f**kING HORRIBLE at drafting linemen on either side of the ball (cause he was size-biased/stubborn), and the only reason we even have Staley is because he was a no-brainer pick up that point at #28 in 2007.

-Which is why I think Scot wouldn't have traded up for Davis yesterday, and probably would have settled for Bulaga at #13 (who is more of a 'McCloughan mauler' than a 'technique-potential' type of guy Davis can be under Solari).

Mmmmm, I think that Solari could do something with whoever we could have gotten yesterday. I agree that Davis was the better choice but I know the Seattle Line and Solari did pretty well given some of the scrubs they've had. Walter Jones was his only BluChipper and that guy is retiring more than likely if he hasn't already retired.

That's why they went Okung with their 1st pick. Kind of surprised they didn't go after Matt Hasselbacks replacement instead of who they got at 14. So many names running through my head right now. It was Thomas right?

Well anyway they should have gotten their project but they'll probably pick that guy up in the 2nd with all the talent available this draft.

I only hope that we can get our TRUE change of pace 2nd or 3rd down Back and either a solid Corner or FS so we can move Goldson over to his true spot. He was solid for this team last year in the FS role but the man is LETHAL and that deserves SS spot on the roster imho.

I knew alot of the 1st round guys(Mathews was a HUGE reach imho being from the WAC) but I'm lost on most of the 2nd and later round players. Anyone got some links of guys we SHOULD get so I can see what they've done on the field. Please NO YouTube links. I want solid research material not fan drool.

Thanks.

~Ceadder
I gave them a B+.

Although I'm not privy to all the information, I personally believe that we would have still drafted Davis if we had stayed pat.

I love both the picks, it's what I wanted from day 1.

-9fA
Like most, love the picks, but not thrilled about giving up the 4th rounder.

I understand it. All 3 picks (11,12, and 13) were traded, so anyone could have jumped up and grabbed him. And given our "success" with mid rounders lately, giving up a 4th isn't huge. The odds of that player being a legit player for us were slim.

However, without a 4th or 5th (even though the trade for Ginn looks good), we are without two important picks in a deep draft that could either be used to move around or be used for talent that slips.

I get why we did it, but I just don't think we had to. This is what having young/inexperienced people in charge leads to sometimes, the lack of patience and insight to just hold back and let things come to you.

We didn't go Josh McDaniels kind of crazy, but we probably gave up a 4th rounder unnecessarily.
I'm fine with the picks but Singletary could have picked up additional picks and still landed Davis instead he threw away a pick for him.

The run on tackles didn't happen and I'm pretty confident that if we traded down with Philly like Denver did Davis would still be on the board at that time. See Michael Oher.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 23, 2010 at 6:26 AM ]
I love what they did with the first two picks, now we have some talent on the offensive line, this will give us a powerful offensive line for years to come

Now I'm hoping we grab a safety and a cornerback
B+ only b/c we threw away a 4th round pick for nothing

• mayo49
  • Veteran
We're set on the OL for the next 12 years.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I said B+

I think i'm equally excited about the picks as I am about the non-pick of claussen. Honestly at both picks I was hoping more that claussen wouldn't get drafted than wishing for a specific player.

Now its about secondary help. One would think it will be a safety like allen, jones or burnett. I don't want mays.
Hell yeah, a+, they stayed true, f**ked all the bs, and drafted for need. Just like when they asked sing, how much time did you spend on thinking of drafting a QB, very little.

Steve Young even said that this is a true statement to Smith, saying they mean it when they say that Alex is their QB.

Im excited as s**t for this training camp. hopefully we can keep up the good work in the second and third rounds.
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Apr 23, 2010 at 6:45 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo63:
We're set on the OL for the next 12 years.

Only if Davis pans out. The guy has alot of Jonas Jennings in him.
Share 49ersWebzone