LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 186 users in the forums

49ers 1st round grade...

49ers 1st round grade...

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The entire draft is A- no matter what we do from here forward.

11) Anthony Davis - good and potentially great with "Singletary motivation."

17) Mike Iupati - The next Larry Allen. Enough said.

5th round) Ted Ginn - KR / PR / from time to time deep threat.

This is an A- draft already. It's already exceeded my expectations by far.

I went with a B+, and I feel that was slightly generous. I'd say a solid B is suitable. The reason for that is I think the trade from 13 to 11 to get Anthony Davis was a move that was completely unnecessary and basically just cost us a 4th round pick. I firmly believe Davis would have been there 2 picks later and we could have landed him with our original slot. There are many questions surrounding this guy and chances are we could have even got him at 17 if we chose to go with Iupati at 13 instead, so the trade to 11 was a boneheaded move in my opinion.

If we would have held the 13th pick and chose Davis there, I'd say the Niners deserve an A.
  • hb123
  • Veteran
i feel like when my privates have been itching for the longest! due to my lack of shaving them, and suddenly i shaved them... we've been without a good line but now we got our linemen... feels good..

anyways..

so how is our starting line up (offensive line) now going to look this year!?
B+. Only downgraded from an A because I feel like we kinda threw away the 4th rounder. But we fixed our OL well. Baalke did a good job so far. 3 contributors with the 2 1sts and 5th.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by PTulini:
According to Mooch after we selected Mike Iupati, he said 2 years from now, he believes that the 49ers could have the best offensive line in the NFL!

i think so too man. anyone worried about that 4th rounder or saying iupati wasnt good value is trippin. we needed help bad and we got two of the best prospects at their positions. wouldnt surprise me to see them both in a probowl within 2 years of their NFL careers.

Staley---Iupati---Heitmann---Rachal---A. Davis

Frank Gore probably busted a nut tonight thinking about the possibilities of this lineup!

They had an interview with Jed York on KNBR after the two draft selections in which Jed York mentioned they had received a text message from Gore that simply said:

"Thank You".

Yup, I think Gore is pleased.
Originally posted by rob28:
b+. if we get a cb and s with the next 2 picks a. we need to improve our secondary or we'll be 21st in passing yards allowed again.

Sure, but those "passing" yards are to running backs and TE's, not exactly the job of a CB.

Not to mention our defense is tired most of the time because our offense was one of the top 3n'out leaders.

We need depth, but we have good starting corners.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Apr 22, 2010 at 10:22 PM ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
A+

We've finally fixed the weakest spot on our team.

That was my vote.

I said in another thread that this draft reminds me of the year Bill Walsh needed to strenthen the secondary. So he drafted Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright and Carleton Williamson. A lot of people questioned whether spending all those picks on the secondary was necessary. Well...they got their answer.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I give them an A-, I don't think they needed to trade up for Anthony Davis.

If we had stay put at 13 and Pittsburg had of jumped ahead of us, I bet youd be singing a different tune. If they take Davis at 11, we dont get a OT in the first. In hindsight Bulaga must have been last resort contigency plan. Just think how it would have felt to have two first round picks, and not address the weakest position on the team.

Anthony Davis was obviously a high targeted prospect. Im thinking he was top 5 on our draft board. Just from the interview with Davis after the draft, you could tell that he and Sing had something special. So what we trade a 4th rounder to guarantee we land a top 5 prospect. There was too much to lose if another team trades in front of us to pick him. I think tomorrow you will realize how brilliant a move it was.

You seem to be forgetting about all the negative things surrounding Anthony Davis leading up to the draft. He is a physically gifted Tackle, but there is a reason he was projected to slide and many thought he would be available at 17, which I believe he would have been. Bulaga, despite whether you think he is better than Davis or not, was rated higher by most of the scouts and many teams probably felt the same way. If Pitt was truly looking for a Tackle, they would have gone with Bulaga once we took Davis, but they didn't.

Davis would have been there at 13. I firmly believe that. They panicked when they found out Denver was trading back and took the bait.
A-

Straight A for the guys we got, lose half a grade cuz we were leveraged into giving up a 4th to move up. Everyone knew Denver was gonna trade down, possibly with another team who wanted an elite tackle, and later on it became clear that teams did not rate Bulaga as highly as draftniks did, so we did what we had to in order to get the guy we wanted.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I give them an A-, I don't think they needed to trade up for Anthony Davis.

If we had stay put at 13 and Pittsburg had of jumped ahead of us, I bet youd be singing a different tune. If they take Davis at 11, we dont get a OT in the first. In hindsight Bulaga must have been last resort contigency plan. Just think how it would have felt to have two first round picks, and not address the weakest position on the team.

Anthony Davis was obviously a high targeted prospect. Im thinking he was top 5 on our draft board. Just from the interview with Davis after the draft, you could tell that he and Sing had something special. So what we trade a 4th rounder to guarantee we land a top 5 prospect. There was too much to lose if another team trades in front of us to pick him. I think tomorrow you will realize how brilliant a move it was.

You seem to be forgetting about all the negative things surrounding Anthony Davis leading up to the draft. He is a physically gifted Tackle, but there is a reason he was projected to slide and many thought he would be available at 17, which I believe he would have been. Bulaga, despite whether you think he is better than Davis or not, was rated higher by most of the scouts and many teams probably felt the same way. If Pitt was truly looking for a Tackle, they would have gone with Bulaga once we took Davis, but they didn't.

Davis would have been there at 13. I firmly believe that. They panicked when they found out Denver was trading back and took the bait.

That might be true, but you're saying that Anthony Davis is not a sure thing, while at the same time saying that it was a bad move to be 100% sure we got our highly rated player.

We wanted to be 100% sure we got our unsure player.
Are you people serious we threw away our 4th? I'm pretty damn sure they knew somthing u didn't know like maybe a team was going to trade up and snag him

Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
Are you people serious we threw away our 4th? I'm pretty damn sure they knew somthing u didn't know like maybe a team was going to trade up and snag him

judging by denver & miami's willingness to trade, i would say someone would have swooped in
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
we fell for a jedi mind trick to move up 2 spots. We got robbed of a pick. For a raw 20 year old tackle who will get owned by opposing D's his first year, maybe two. The key is will Davis take it as a man, or pull a Kwame?

LOVE Iupati.

B-

Davis could have easily been taken before we got to him at #13. And he is way more physical than Bulaga. Plus he has a much higher upside than Bulaga. Also we have Singletary and although I don't like him in a lot of ways (sing) he is a great motivator. Look what he did with VD and Crabtree. He will motivate Davis. And if Davis doesn't get motivated he will drop his pants.

"Why I gotta always be droppin trou? Why can't I just be known for having a way to motivate..."

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Apr 22, 2010 at 10:31 PM ]
i like that fact that we drafted 2 guards. but i give this a B+ just because we could have really used Earl Thomas. I woulda loved Dez Bryant too. but thats just me. i think him and Crabtree would quickly become a top 3 WR core for the next 5-10 years.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by rob28:
b+. if we get a cb and s with the next 2 picks a. we need to improve our secondary or we'll be 21st in passing yards allowed again.

Sure, but those "passing" yards are to running backs and TE's, not exactly the job of a CB.

Not to mention our defense is tired most of the time because our offense was one of the top 3n'out leaders.

We need depth, but we have good starting corners.

no our corners are not that good
Originally posted by AC49er:
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:

judging by denver & miami's willingness to trade, i would say someone would have swooped in

Somebody may have traded for those spots, but none of us have any way of knowing whether Anthony Davis would have been picked by those teams. I have no proof he would have been there at 13, and nobody else has any proof he wouldn't have been. In my OPINION, he would have been. Nobody has to agree with me on it, it's just MY opinion.
Share 49ersWebzone