LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 151 users in the forums

Poll: Does the first round of playoffs make Smith our QB of the future?

Poll: Does the first round of playoffs make Smith our QB of the future?

• Walsh
  • Veteran
[ Edited by Walsh on Apr 22, 2010 at 5:05 AM ]
if we make the playoffs he is doing something right we are no where near the jets defense and run game like last year so if we go to the playoffs it will be because of smith rather than in spite of him however our D (and hopefully o line) also says that if we dont make the playoffs it will be because of him therefore next year will be our year to get a new QB
im a Smith backer, but i agree with option number 3. i like the progress i see, but lets not get carried away. if we make the playoffs this year its likely not all Alex Smith's doing. as long as he keeps getting better im fine with him. as soon as he levels out in the same system for a few years, then we can assess what he is, and to move on or not.
It all depends on how he performs. If we win ugly and the defense carries us through the season then bah, f**k it, if we get an opportunity to replace him, let's do it.

But if he shows he can move the chains and make this offense respectable, keep him but that shouldn't stop us from drafting a young QB if an appealing one falls into our laps in the next couple of drafts.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Wait and see, if Alex doesn't work out then we'll probably be in position for Locker or Luck in the draft next year. If they like what they see with Alex, give him an extension.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Nothing wrong with having some talent at QB, use one of our 2 first rounders on a QB.
Definitely wait and see. Even his 'good year' under Norv Turner was less than spectacular, but with the same OC for two straight years and some valid talent around him this coming season he'll have his opportunity to show what he has...and if he doesn't there should be ample talent in the 1st round next year and we'll have a low pick to work with. Obvisously hoping Alex pulls through!
guys, how can a playoff-run implicate a good-playing QB??? if you got a damn good defense and something like a working o-line, then you can get to the playoffs even with a decent QB...just look at the jets. I dont wanna say that sanchez ist a bad qb but his rookie season wasnt phenomenal.
Originally posted by Chief:
Nothing wrong with having some talent at QB, use one of our 2 first rounders on a QB.

Nothing wrong with it when you don't have other gaping holes that have been there for years now. I pray we dont bother with any qb in the first 3 rds
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by Chief:

Nothing wrong with it when you don't have other gaping holes that have been there for years now. I pray we dont bother with any qb in the first 3 rds

I think this team has enough talent on the field to use one of our early picks on a QB if it means getting a franchise QB... Because Alex Smith has not shown that he is yet, we could gamble and think he will have a break out year, but what if he doesnt? We start David Carr next year and draft a rookie or have a rookie that sat all year learning the system?

I would actually like to trade one of our first rounders this year to a crappy team like the Rams or Seahawks so that we can be in position to select Locker in next years draft if needed. And if Smith does do well and signs a new contract, we are still in position to select a great player next year. Everyone is talking about how this year is the year and that we need to draft for NOW. I don't believe you should ever draft with only next year in mind. Just my opinion.
No, It's all on how he plays that will or will not make him our QB of the future.

As for Clausen. If he's the BPA We need to take him. I think there's a far greater risk of us losing by not having a Good QB on our team than us having too many good QB's..
One playoff win and a season rating over 90, and he gets the big contract.
Hell yes it does especially if he's successful at winning games with his skills. If he's still mediocre, then we don't re-sign and draft a QB in next years rich QB draft.

This is his year to show the world what he has with all the stability an offseason should have. That said, it is yes or no. There are no maybes anymore.

Either he gets us to the playoffs or he's given the boot and told

Wait and see is my approach and see how he does.

I mean if we lose in the first round but if it's like Packers vs Cardinals and we lose 51 45 and Smith throws for 400 yard and 4 TDs with a 120 rating are you honestly going to say that Smith didn't do good enough and we need to get a new QB?

So you need to look at how he does for the season and how he performs in the first round and who we're playing in the first round. If our first round opponent has a really strong defense than you would typically not expect him to put up huge numbers compared to a team that doesn't have that great of a defense.
Share 49ersWebzone