There are 188 users in the forums

With the 11th pick in the 2010 NFL draft...

• jcs
  • Veteran
lazy and talented is better than hard working and sucky
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
No problem with us taking Anthony Davis, but did we have to give up a 4th rd pick to move up 2 slots to get him? Baalke panicked IMO.

Agreed. Stupid move to trade up IMO.

I would have liked either Davis or Bulaga and I don't think Miami would have taken him.

-9fA

Miami might not have taken him but someone else could have traded him to get him...u guys all act like u guys know what's going on in there.

Davis was the guy the Niners wanted and we got him, stop the b***hing and be happy we solidified our OL.

Yeah, I'm thinking Green Bay would've probably traded up to get him (who settled with Bulaga later on).
No problem with us taking Anthony Davis, but did we have to give up a 4th rd pick to move up 2 slots to get him? Baalke panicked IMO.

I would have liked either Davis or Bulaga and I don't think Miami would have taken him.

-9fA

Miami might not have taken him but someone else could have traded him to get him...u guys all act like u guys know what's going on in there.

Davis was the guy the Niners wanted and we got him, stop the b***hing and be happy we solidified our OL.

Like exactly who? Green Bay seemed to be the only other team that was line needy and they're the only team that has traded up to select an OT.

Just as you I don't know that there could have been a team wanting him, YOU don't know that there were teams that weren't vying for him.

I could understand the move if he was the last of the four tackles on the board, but he wasn't. THAT is why this is a panic move. Bulaga would have been just as fine.

-9fA

Anthony Davis has the higher ceiling, I mean honestly we won't know till next year, but before you drill the 49ers FO lets at least wait to see what he can do.

I don't care if it was a panic move, point is we addressed our BIGGEST need and that is our OL...obviously the Niners weren't high on Bulaga and I'll trust what they do.

and who knows maybe GB would have traded up for Davis but they just settled for BB
[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:11 PM ]
If it takes a 4th and 1st round pick to get our starting RT it is worth it! Can't believe people are complaining...probably the same ones that would have complained if we stayed at 13 and lost out on Davis.

This has been my Dream First Round!

-9fA

Like exactly who? Green Bay seemed to be the only other team that was line needy and they're the only team that has traded up to select an OT.

Just as you I don't know that there could have been a team wanting him, YOU don't know that there were teams that weren't vying for him.

I could understand the move if he was the last of the four tackles on the board, but he wasn't. THAT is why this is a panic move. Bulaga would have been just as fine.

-9fA

you know I agree with you 99.9% of the time......but I must defer on this one. I'm extremely satisfied with the way our draft has shaped up so far.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:19 PM ]
Hahaha. Same as every year. The so-called "experts" troll on the boards, poisoning threads about how horrible a pick such and such was.

Davis is a fantatic addition to the line. Instant starter. I am pleasantly shocked that our front office showed so much confidence in the team we already have, that they directly addressed our greatest needs in Round 1 and nothing else.
Originally posted by Kurtz49:
If it takes a 4th and 1st round pick to get our starting RT it is worth it! Can't believe people are complaining...probably the same ones that would have complained if we stayed at 13 and lost out on Davis.

Yeah, this the was the draft I was praying for. Tackle + Iupati, we're f**king set, and next year we can finally draft a QB that can succeed.
Hell this was a great pick. Even I like it. If you can assure yourself of a mauler RT and give up a 4th rounder to guarantee it I say that's worth it. Somebody may have picked him if we waited until #13. You don't always get a star in the 4th round so I don't see why people are complaining.
OH My Goodness...

Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Eric Heitmann, Chilo Rachal, Anthony Davis

next 5-6 years...EPIC FUGGIN WINNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by NorCaL9er on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:39 PM ]

-9fA

-9fA

Well it seems the 9ers had Davis rated significantly above Bugala or they wouldn't have pulled the trigger. Were they right about this? Only time will tell.

As far as the 9ers panicking, it also seems clear that something scared them. Was (whatever it was) a legit concern? Who knows, we may never know. What we DO know is that the two teams picking ahead of them were looking to trade back and were shopping their picks. Whether or not there was a legit concern of someone trading ahead of us to get "our guy", I don't think giving up a 4th rounder to MAKE SURE you secure the guy you covet in the 1st is an outlandish price to pay.

As to the concern about Davis' character. I put a lot of faith (perhaps too much) in MS in that regard. Last year when Crabtree had been holding out forever everyone began to question his character. MS said he had a good feeling about the guy, and that he was right about those things more often than he was wrong. VD was all but branded as a diva/ingrate. MS called him one of his favorite players and said the sky was the limit for him. IF MS sat down with Davis and got a feel for him and was ok with the guy being on his team I'm satisfied. Again we'll all have to wait and see.

We can argue about it but the truth of the matter is that there's some key information we just don't have access to, to truly know if we did well to trade to 11 and grab Davis. I for one am quite satisfied with it however.

Anthony Davis could be the steal of the draft. He might move Staley back to RT sooner than you might think.

People look at the YouTube clips, and some don't like them, but the quarterback he is blocking for in those clips has some of the worst pocket presence you will ever see in your life.

He runs directly into defenders, steps up when he should step back, steps back when he should step up. And the rest of that line is nothing to write home about.

If Anthony Davis can become anything like Eric Williams, and Iupati can become anything like Larry Allen, and if Rachal can develop his pass pro a little more, our line could resemble the Dallas Cowboys line of the 90's.
A lot of "ifs", but its exiting to think about.
Anthony Davis could be the steal of the draft. He might move Staley back to RT sooner than you might think.

People look at the YouTube clips, and some don't like them, but the quarterback he is blocking for in those clips has some of the worst pocket presence you will ever see in your life.

He runs directly into defenders, steps up when he should step back, steps back when he should step up. And the rest of that line is nothing to write home about.

If Anthony Davis can become anything like Eric Williams, and Iupati can become anything like Larry Allen, and if Rachal can develop his pass pro a little more, our line could resemble the Dallas Cowboys line of the 90's.
A lot of "ifs", but its exiting to think about.
  • dj43
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by Kurtz49:

Yeah, this the was the draft I was praying for. Tackle + Iupati, we're f**king set, and next year we can finally draft a QB that can succeed.
The is Walshesque - you need to strengthen the OL, go do it. It reminds me of '80 when Walsh got Lott, Wright and Williamson. Many questioned why he spent all those picks in one area of the team, but those guys started from the beginning and took the team to two Super Bowls. Lott is HOF and Wright would have been except for injury. Williamson was a prototype SS who could also cover.

Davis was the third best talent on the board behind only Williams and Okung. Some said he even had more upside than Okung. The rap was about attitude but Singletary had a chance to sit across the table from him and look him in the eye. Until proven otherwise, I trust Iron Mike. Davis is a starter from the first day of camp.

Oh yes, they also got a guard to replace Baas.

And about that quarterback; maybe with OL problems solved, he begins to look more like a first round pick now that he will have some time to throw.

OL - Mission Accomplished.
Originally posted by dj43:
OL - Mission Accomplished.

Did you have to go and say that?!? Thanks, thanks a lot!

can somebody explain to me why we drafted davis over bulaga?
Share 49ersWebzone