LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 227 users in the forums

Player position and big board rankings

In mid-March, I posted a thread giving some of the results from a spreadsheet I had done to create average overall rankings of 2010 draft players from 5 known Big Boards freely available online.

I have just revised the spreadsheet, this time using only 3 Big Boards (MadDog, CBS/NFL Draftscout, and Great Blue Nation (GBN), all of which had been updated between Saturday and Monday. I also did a frequency analysis by player position and projected draft round.

My observations:

(Please note that the positions noted for players were confirmed mainly from OTC's
recently posted 49er Big Board.)

The positions that were fairly uniformly distributed through the Draft Rounds were:
QB, RB, WR, TE, 3-4 and 4-3 DEs, ILB, 3-4 OLB, CB and SS.

Positions with uneven distributions were:

Fullbacks, kickers and punters were all in Rounds 6 and 7.

OTs were concentrated in Round 1 and in Rounds 5-7.

OT/OG combos (Saffold,Ducasse,Jerry etc.) were almost all in Round 2
(and early-mid in that round).

Pure guards were mainly ranked from Rounds 4-7 (with almost half in Round 7)

The bulk of the nose tackles (NT) were ranked in Round 1 (1) Round 2 (4) and Round 3 (2).

The few defensive tackles not considered NTs or DEs were ranked in Rounds 3-6.

Half of the free safeties were ranked in Rounds 1 and 2 with all but one of the rest (Round 3) being ranked in Rounds 6 and 7.

My conclusions:

OT, NT, and FS are positions where if you don't pick up someone by the end of the 2nd Round, you may be faced with mainly projected late-round candidates.

Although CB is fairly evenly distributed, pretty well all of the big names(Haden, Wilson, McCourty,Jackson, Robinson, Cook, Ghee and Okwasu-Ansah) were ranked to be gone by the end of Round 2.

Trade-down for more second round picks a good thing? Maybe, given the distributions.
Originally posted by ColdFan:
In mid-March, I posted a thread giving some of the results from a spreadsheet I had done to create average overall rankings of 2010 draft players from 5 known Big Boards freely available online.

I have just revised the spreadsheet, this time using only 3 Big Boards (MadDog, CBS/NFL Draftscout, and Great Blue Nation (GBN), all of which had been updated between Saturday and Monday. I also did a frequency analysis by player position and projected draft round.

My observations:

(Please note that the positions noted for players were confirmed mainly from OTC's
recently posted 49er Big Board.)

The positions that were fairly uniformly distributed through the Draft Rounds were:
QB, RB, WR, TE, 3-4 and 4-3 DEs, ILB, 3-4 OLB, CB and SS.

Positions with uneven distributions were:

Fullbacks, kickers and punters were all in Rounds 6 and 7.

OTs were concentrated in Round 1 and in Rounds 5-7.

OT/OG combos (Saffold,Ducasse,Jerry etc.) were almost all in Round 2
(and early-mid in that round).

Pure guards were mainly ranked from Rounds 4-7 (with almost half in Round 7)

The bulk of the nose tackles (NT) were ranked in Round 1 (1) Round 2 (4) and Round 3 (2).

The few defensive tackles not considered NTs or DEs were ranked in Rounds 3-6.

Half of the free safeties were ranked in Rounds 1 and 2 with all but one of the rest (Round 3) being ranked in Rounds 6 and 7.

My conclusions:

OT, NT, and FS are positions where if you don't pick up someone by the end of the 2nd Round, you may be faced with mainly projected late-round candidates.

Although CB is fairly evenly distributed, pretty well all of the big names(Haden, Wilson, McCourty,Jackson, Robinson, Cook, Ghee and Okwasu-Ansah) were ranked to be gone by the end of Round 2.

Trade-down for more second round picks a good thing? Maybe, given the distributions.

Nice Analysis
Share 49ersWebzone