There are 204 users in the forums

49ers | Could move up in draft

Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
It would be a breath of fresh air knowing that the organization has FINALLY realized that Axle Smith is NOT the answer.

I know there's alot of questions about Alex, but is Clausen the QB we want to give away picks for? I'd rather what till next year and take Locker or Luck if we want to go in another direction.

This is what I'm thinking. If Clausen was a can't miss (I don't think he is), then maybe you mortgage the farm. But we need first round help in a few other areas and can always pick a QB up next year.
  • JDog
  • Veteran
Bad Idea
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
It would be a breath of fresh air knowing that the organization has FINALLY realized that Axle Smith is NOT the answer.

I know there's alot of questions about Alex, but is Clausen the QB we want to give away picks for? I'd rather what till next year and take Locker or Luck if we want to go in another direction.

This is what I'm thinking. If Clausen was a can't miss (I don't think he is), then maybe you mortgage the farm. But we need first round help in a few other areas and can always pick a QB up next year.

Its true. They could do the same thing they did last year and move our 2nd or 3rd for higher picks next year.

And another thing. If they weren't totally sold on Smith, why the freak didn't they make a move for McNabb?

f**k no better not happen

if this happens the managment is extremely stupid and has no goddamn common sense if we trade up if better be for okung
Originally posted by mr_congeniality:
Move up only for Okung at 5. BPA for next pick. There are a lot of better QB prospects coming out next year.

Hopefully we can parlay our 2nd into another 1st next year to put us in position.
Originally posted by miked1978:
hell no. Only way I would want to move up is if Berry slides past #6.
There really is no reason to trade up. Even the best OT Russel Okung has struggled at times as a pass protector in college (see his game against Texas A&M). Eric Berry while certainly a quality prospect would be tough to justify giving up multiple high picks for (likely our 13, 49, and 4th rounder).

The only two players I feel to be remotely worthy will be Ndakumong Suh and Gerald McCoy, but even so, if we wanted to pay that kind of money to a d-lineman we could've grabbed Julius Peppers in free agency and spared us from spending the draft picks.

We are guaranteed to have elite level players at positions of need right where we sit. With players like Brandon Graham, Charles Brown, Joe Haden, CJ Spiller, and Anthony Davis there is not enough of a drop off in talent to justify trading up.
Link to Kawakami article stating the same.

I think I wouldn't give up No. 13 and 17 even if we get back No. 38. But I would give up No. 13 and a 3rd rounder or 2nd rounder in 2011 for Clausen at No. 7.

But I don't know if this is going to happen b/c the Niners have been so vocal about getting to the playoffs this year. I don't how much of an upgrade right now Clausen would be over Alex Smith (don't get me wrong, I think Clausen is going to a much better QB at some point over Alex, but when?). Could the Niners win despite having a rookie QB like the Jets did with Sanchez?

If this does happen, then Alex would seem expendable and I would watch for Alex Smith to be traded to San Diego for No. 28 or a 2nd rounder. Then I would be cool with that.

How 'bout a three way trade? Browns no. 7 to Niners for 13, Niners' Alex Smith to SD for No. 28. And No. 28 to Browns.
[ Edited by Johnster on Apr 20, 2010 at 3:18 PM ]
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
If we move up, IMO its to draft Eric Berry. He would be the missing piece to a truly elite D who could step in on day 1 and be a difference maker.

Now, if this happens....

lmao lmao
Wow....I'm assuming that some/most of you have watched Clausen's college films. I know the family a bit and his brothers (Casey & Brett). I saw him play at Oaks Christian and watched a number of Irish games. If any of you really feel that he is NFL-ready at this point, I'm a bit disappointed. He needs a lot of seasoning and maturing; that's not to say he won't become a good NFL quarterback. But for people to be talking about Clausen as a Top 10 pick in the upcoming draft is unfathomable. He's far from what I would consider a franchise QB and I feel that next years draft will have a fairly strong contingent of signal callers to choose from.

I marvel at the 'draftniks' around this country who are hanging from Clausen's jock. Testament on how poor the pool of draft eligible QB's is this year.

smoke screen
Originally posted by JD81:
This is most likely just a draft ploy to not show our true hand.....

I really hope so
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Clausen at #17 would be much more appealing
This is the worst possible thing that could happen. If it does, I hope Baalke either resigns or gets fired immediately
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Wouldn't mind this at all. We need a contingency plan. What has Alex done to keep us from drafting another QB? If Clausen is there at #13, I have no problem taking him. If we move up, I'd like to pick him as well...I'd love to keep both 1st rounders, though.

You can't argue taking a QB with people who support Alex Smith. You'll hear every excuse in the book about why he hasn't done anything to keep us from drafting another QB. They will also use other positions of need as excuses, as if a franchise QB is nothing important.

Clausen will be the real deal. People in here believe you don't need a franchise QB to win, so of course this scenario will be met with opposition. I will be at the draft party, and if this does go down, I can all but guarantee most people will be very happy even though when they come back to post here on the Zone, they will b*tch.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Apr 20, 2010 at 6:14 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone