There are 245 users in the forums

OTC's Draft Day Mock 2010

No way we take Charles Brown over Bulaga. Brown played at 285 lbs. He is not a dominating run blocker....at all. Bulaga can pass block and run block. He is a more natural fit as a right tackle.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
I dunno, OTC. If Dan Williams is still available at #13 and BOTH Bulaga and Brown were also still on the board, as you have painted in your scenario, I have to believe that Dan Williams would be the Niner call at #13 and the remaining OT, the one not selected by Seattle at #14, would be the Niner pick at #17.

Dan Williams has been personally crafted by Monte Kiffin and Ed Orgeron, and is as NFL-ready as a draftee could possibly be. Skipping over Dan Williams would be the Vince Wilfork mistake all over again. A men amoing boys in the SEC is REALLY a man among boys. I also believe that you generally should draft with an eye more on your perceived needs one year out, more than immediate needs. There is still plenty of potential FA help for an immediate need. One year out, the clear needs will be CB, NT, SS, ILB and OLB (all defensive positions).

Franklin is the lynchpin of the 3-4 defense and Willis' primary protector. Franklin is franchised, coming off his only real quality year. What if he tails off in 2010 or is consistently hampered by injuries? The club MUST have a viable alternative in place, which means securing a young, exceptional NT, when one is available. Mount Cody and the other NT's in this draft are a defintive cut below Dan Williams.

The Niners surely will also draft an OT with starting capability in this draft. That was clearly a need that McCloughan failed to fill in the last draft, when it was called-for. I just see more of a spread betrween Dan Williams and the remaining NT's versus the spread among Brown, Bulaga, Saffold, etc.

I'd love Williams, but I have a nagging feeling we'd pass, and I can't tell you why. Honestly.. We shouldn't if that scenario occurred, but we very well might.
Originally posted by Draftology:
No way we take Charles Brown over Bulaga. Brown played at 285 lbs. He is not a dominating run blocker....at all. Bulaga can pass block and run block. He is a more natural fit as a right tackle.

That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it, is to say that Staley was very effective as a RT his rookie year, but hasn't been nearly as effective as a LT (even before the injury). I can see a scenario where Staley moves to RT while Sims (who played very well last year) gets the early starts at LT while they bring Brown along.

Under Solari's blocking scheme, Brown at LT and Staley at RT are ideal bookends.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it, is to say that Staley was very effective as a RT his rookie year, but hasn't been nearly as effective as a LT (even before the injury). I can see a scenario where Staley moves to RT while Sims (who played very well last year) gets the early starts at LT while they bring Brown along.

Under Solari's blocking scheme, Brown at LT and Staley at RT are ideal bookends.

I applaud your outside-the-box understanding, Ghost.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Why thank you kind sir.

I doubt they would move Staley over to RT and throw Brown to the wolves at LT...but with Sims doing such a good job last year, this is extremely plausible. It solves our RT situation with a veteran (Staley), addresses the immediate concern of replacing Staley (Sims already has a successful year under his belt in this system) and paves the way for the very athletic Brown to bulk up a little, improve on his technique, learn the playbook then eventually take over.

Why thank you kind sir.

I doubt they would move Staley over to RT and throw Brown to the wolves at LT...but with Sims doing such a good job last year, this is extremely plausible. It solves our RT situation with a veteran (Staley), addresses the immediate concern of replacing Staley (Sims already has a successful year under his belt in this system) and paves the way for the very athletic Brown to bulk up a little, improve on his technique, learn the playbook then eventually take over.

I could see this scenario happening. In any case RT and LT would be settled then we have to decide what to do with Baas, Heitmann, and Rachal? If we go your draft way then we would pick Iupati and have a settled interior or go with Pouncy and get a little more bang for the buck.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Why thank you kind sir.

I could see this scenario happening. In any case RT and LT would be settled then we have to decide what to do with Baas, Heitmann, and Rachal? If we go your draft way then we would pick Iupati and have a settled interior or go with Pouncy and get a little more bang for the buck.

You know what, that's not a bad idea...if we went OT/OL (instead of a DB with that second 1st rounder), I'd prefer Brown/Pouncey more so than I would Brown/Iupati. Pouncey could play all three interior positions, and could eventually become a dominant center, whereas Iupati seems limited to OG (with the possible exception of being able to play RT).

I'm not down on Iupati, but I do think a combination of Brown/Pouncey gives us more options across the o-line.
With Ansah's measurables, look for the Raiders to draft him at #8.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Why thank you kind sir.

You know what, that's not a bad idea...if we went OT/OL (instead of a DB with that second 1st rounder), I'd prefer Brown/Pouncey more so than I would Brown/Iupati. Pouncey could play all three interior positions, and could eventually become a dominant center, whereas Iupati seems limited to OG (with the possible exception of being able to play RT).

I'm not down on Iupati, but I do think a combination of Brown/Pouncey gives us more options across the o-line.

I would have no disagreements with a Pouncey selection either.
Share 49ersWebzone