Worst-Case Draft Scenario for the 49ers

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by krizay:
The worst draft scenario would be for us to take Haden and Spiller at #13 and #17. Which ironically is alot fot eh posters ideal 1st round. to me though they respresent 2 of the most overrated palyres in this draft.

That would be the sexy picks. We dont have that luxury as a team yet. We must pick a OL with one of the first round picks

I don't buy that. We can pick 2 non lineman and then come back in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and grab Ducasse and Velheer or Tony Washington. This gives us 2 potential starters at RT and if Veldheer or Washington is ready to go Ducasse would be a beast at LG.

Ducasse would be very very raw and not sure how effective he would be. Picking up an OL in round 1 helps this team at it's biggest need. Go ahead and draft CJ Spiller and watch him get tackled behind the LOS and let Alex Smith take a beating

Ducasse is not much more of a risk than Iupati. Same talent level, same attributes.

BTW I didn't say Spiller. I said non OL. I would be estatic if ended up with Haden and Brandon Graham.

Spiller was just an example i was giving. I would be happy with one of those guys like a Haden or Graham or Earl Thomas. The OL (RT in particular) is just in too bad a shape to ignore with guys like Bulaga and Anthony Davis possibly being there.

If we do go the way you want and are happy with it, just don't come to NinerTalk complaining about Smith having no time to pass and Gore constantly getting stopped at or behind the line of scrimmage.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
The worst draft scenario would be for us to take Haden and Spiller at #13 and #17. Which ironically is alot fot eh posters ideal 1st round. to me though they respresent 2 of the most overrated palyres in this draft.

That would be the sexy picks. We dont have that luxury as a team yet. We must pick a OL with one of the first round picks

I don't buy that. We can pick 2 non lineman and then come back in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and grab Ducasse and Velheer or Tony Washington. This gives us 2 potential starters at RT and if Veldheer or Washington is ready to go Ducasse would be a beast at LG.

I agree. In a perfect world we don't take an OL in the 1st and wait for the 2nd round. While getting some skilled players. Graham/Thomas/Kindle/Dan Williams/JPP or whatever. Then go OT in the 2nd. in a really really perfect world we trade #13 for #22-#24 and get Graham at 17 and a good player at #22-#24 while picking up a 2nd 2nd rounder.
This is actually somewhat likely. Those basically are the best 12 players. It's not my favorite scenario but it's hardly a disaster. You take Iupati and any of Williams, McClain, Graham, or Kindle. So you get a beast on the OL, a great ILB to suceed Spikes, a great NT to suceed Franklin, or a pass rusher. How long have we wanted a big-time pass rusher? Then you have to pick up an OT in 2nd - Ducasse, Veldheer, or Saffold. And a CB in the 3rd. Not my favorite scenario but not a disaster either. This is a deep draft and we should be able to get some good players. You can't whine because you don't get one of the 12 best players when you are drafting 13th. Trading down a few slots if someone wants to trade up for Clausen would be fine too.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
There are so many good players that could be available at 13, so I wanted to take a look and see what the worst scenario would be for us...these picks have all been mocked to these teams, its not like I have a QB going to Detroit or anything:

1 STL - QB Bradford
2 DET - OT Okung
3 TB - DT McCoy ( I've read that TB has McCoy higher than Suh on their board)
4 WAS- OT Williams
5 KC - OT Bulaga
6 SEA - DT Suh (Steal of the Draft)
7 CLE - S Berry
8 OAK - OT Davis
9 BUF - RB Spiller
10 JAX - CB Haden
11 DEN - WR Bryant
12 MIA - S Thomas

In this scenario, the best players on the board that we would consider drafting are Clausen, McClain, Dan Williams, Graham, and Pierre-Paul.

Personally, I think all of those guys are a reach at this position.

If this were to happen, we would probably trade down -- somebody would want to trade up for Clausen or Dan Williams.

But if we HAD to take a player here, we would probably be best off taking Graham.

God this would suck if you think about it but this is a talented draft and I would be fine with the 9ers grabbing Graham/Morgan or Kindle at 13 and taking Iutapi at 17 and looking for a OT in round 2
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:

LOL.

Overrated because other people talk about them?

Or overrated because you watched a majority of Florida and Clemson games and you didn't see the talent that they both have?

Overrated because Spiller isn't going to be the Chris Johnson type people are envisioning. More of a Willie Parker type. Stuff, stuff boom. stuff, stuff, boom.

Haden isn't going to be Revis like I read on here. He did not shut down the players posters are saying that he did. They both can be very good players and possibly great in the perfect situation. But so can many other players in the perfect situation. They are good but not great.
I just don't want JPP (reminds me of Gholston) or Taylor Mays.

Ducasse would be very very raw and not sure how effective he would be. Picking up an OL in round 1 helps this team at it's biggest need. Go ahead and draft CJ Spiller and watch him get tackled behind the LOS and let Alex Smith take a beating

Ducasse is not much more of a risk than Iupati. Same talent level, same attributes.

BTW I didn't say Spiller. I said non OL. I would be estatic if ended up with Haden and Brandon Graham.

Spiller was just an example i was giving. I would be happy with one of those guys like a Haden or Graham or Earl Thomas. The OL (RT in particular) is just in too bad a shape to ignore with guys like Bulaga and Anthony Davis possibly being there.

If we do go the way you want and are happy with it, just don't come to NinerTalk complaining about Smith having no time to pass and Gore constantly getting stopped at or behind the line of scrimmage.

If you take Anthony Davis simply because of a need don't come to Niner Talk complaining why he's a lazy piece of sh*t who can't get his act together.

You don't need to draft a tackle in the 1st round to address the line. It's been proven a million and one times.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 18, 2010 at 11:51 AM ]
I wouled love Spiller and Graham
assuming no trade back was available...
we could still come away with some combo of these players:

m.iupati
c.brown
d.williams
m.pouncey
k.wilson
b.graham

personally i'd probably take c.brown at 13 (yes i know most will say it's a reach, but in your mock seattle becomes a very likely landing spot at #14 and we MUST have a RT)
and then wait and see if m.iupati or m.pouncey are available at #17 and take one of those two. then i'd come back and take
#49 CB akwasi owusu-ansah
#79 NT cam thomas or linval joseph
Originally posted by ramanz16:
Originally posted by teeohh:
lol Graham would be a dream for me

Agreed, I'd LOVE to see them draft Graham.

Agreed, Graham to me is a safer pick than any player not named Suh/Berry/McCoy.

I think he's a guaranteed 10 sack/year player. The explosion, motor, and pass rushing moves he possesses make him a can't miss contributor. That's why I don't see any chance that Parcells passes up the opportunity to grab him right before us.

Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Originally posted by ramanz16:
Originally posted by teeohh:
lol Graham would be a dream for me

Agreed, I'd LOVE to see them draft Graham.

Agreed, Graham to me is a safer pick than any player not named Suh/Berry/McCoy.

I think he's a guaranteed 10 sack/year player. The explosion, motor, and pass rushing moves he possesses make him a can't miss contributor. That's why I don't see any chance that Parcells passes up the opportunity to grab him right before us.

You're right. But that they've been trying to shop Brown tells me that they might not pass on Spiller either, so I hope he's there for them.
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
id take Dan Williams in this situation. you have to go BPA

If Dan Williams is BPA, we trade him to San Diego for the 28 and the 40.
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
id take Dan Williams in this situation. you have to go BPA

If Dan Williams is BPA, we trade him to San Diego for the 28 and the 40.

if they want to give that up,
i think he is the best of whats left.
There are so many good players that could be available at 13, so I wanted to take a look and see what the worst scenario would be for us...these picks have all been mocked to these teams, its not like I have a QB going to Detroit or anything:

1 STL - QB Bradford
2 DET - OT Okung
3 TB - DT McCoy ( I've read that TB has McCoy higher than Suh on their board)
4 WAS- OT Williams
5 KC - OT Bulaga
6 SEA - DT Suh (Steal of the Draft)
7 CLE - S Berry
8 OAK - OT Davis
9 BUF - RB Spiller
10 JAX - CB Haden
11 DEN - WR Bryant
12 MIA - S Thomas

In this scenario, the best players on the board that we would consider drafting are Clausen, McClain, Dan Williams, Graham, and Pierre-Paul.

Personally, I think all of those guys are a reach at this position.

If this were to happen, we would probably trade down -- somebody would want to trade up for Clausen or Dan Williams.

But if we HAD to take a player here, we would probably be best off taking Graham.

I would go Roland McLain, Pierre Paul or reaching for an OT such as Charles Brown

Spiller could be Adrian Petersen with return skills
Share 49ersWebzone