There are 228 users in the forums

Roster spots available

• dj43
Nice work. Only thing I would add, as others have, is the need for a solid blocking TE. Davis should see more time in pass patterns this year and Walker has not yet mastered blocking. Walker also has value on KR teams which mitigates even more for a blocker. A late round pick or even a UDFA could fill the need.
Pretty solid roster assessment in the original post. I also expect that the draft foreast by position will look a lot like the forecast in the original post.

An additional thiought or two. The club isn't going to place all of its RS chips on Ginn, who can be fragile and/or have the dropsies, particularly as a PR. One of the club's draft picks will also have RS skills, hopefully and more specifically PR skills. Singletary has been quoted as saying that an NFL club needs depth at the RS position(s).

Clements is a good PR guy, but if he remains a starter at CB, he won't be used that way. And if he doesn't renain a starter at CB, he will not be around much longer due to his payroll drain. So Clements is not really a viable RS depth guy.

Guys who have been around for awhile (more than 1 year) and not shown much, who may have a difficult time making the Final 53 would seem to be: OL Wallace, S Smith, FB Norris, and I believe that Michael Lewis' family may convince him to retire immediately, if he gets "dinged" one more time.

Lastly, fans might not have any love, but it looks to me like S Roman remains valuable and will be back on a 1-year deal.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Pretty solid roster assessment in the original post. I also expect that the draft foreast by position will look a lot like the forecast in the original post.

An additional thiought or two. The club isn't going to place all of its RS chips on Ginn, who can be fragile and/or have the dropsies, particularly as a PR. One of the club's draft picks will also have RS skills, hopefully and more specifically PR skills. Singletary has been quoted as saying that an NFL club needs depth at the RS position(s).

Clements is a good PR guy, but if he remains a starter at CB, he won't be used that way. And if he doesn't renain a starter at CB, he will not be around much longer due to his payroll drain. So Clements is not really a viable RS depth guy.

Guys who have been around for awhile (more than 1 year) and not shown much, who may have a difficult time making the Final 53 would seem to be: OL Wallace, S Smith, FB Norris, and I believe that Michael Lewis' family may convince him to retire immediately, if he gets "dinged" one more time.

Lastly, fans might not have any love, but it looks to me like S Roman remains valuable and will be back on a 1-year deal.

I agree that they will look for another guy with return abilities to hedge their bets. They really got burned with Rossum last year and they'll make sure that doesn't happen again.
Share 49ersWebzone