LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

better coverage skills... mays or lewis

better coverage skills... mays or lewis

The big knock on mays is his coverage skills, but the man who he'd be replacing isn't exactly known for his coverage ability. Is mays simply a younger faster, possibility even bigger hitting version of m lewis?
[ Edited by sactomkiii on Apr 17, 2010 at 10:10 AM ]
Lewis is better
  • lynwood49ers
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by jreff22:
Lewis is better

wow r u kidding me...Lewis better than Mays....lol lewis is garbage...
Originally posted by lynwood49ers:
Lewis is better

Which is a testiment to May's cover skills when we say Lewis is better in that regard.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Lewis is better

Which is a testiment to May's cover skills when we say Lewis is better in that regard.

I'll admit I don't know much about mays having never watched anything more than youtube highlights, but is we do know he is a "in the box" type safety and with lewis being one hard hit to the head away from retirement can you think of a better rookie that could step in and emulate lewis any better should lewis have to retire mid season. If not mid season to sit for a year and pick up on the "slight" coverage responsibilities we give lewis now? With us a picking up Ginn that second first round pick is really a luxury pick and it might be a good chance to pick up a big boom or bust type of player. I'm not a hardcore fan of mays and before the Ginn trade I wouldn't of suggested such a big but know it could be interesting...

of all of his highlights though this impresses me the most

thats Best he's running down... pair him up with willy and goldson and we'd have one fast hard hitting defense Although he could of wrapped up better lol
[ Edited by sactomkiii on Apr 17, 2010 at 11:17 AM ]
Taylor Mays is an athlete...not a football player.

On occasion athletes become decent football players...on rare occasion. I'd rather draft football players who are athletic.
Lewis is better

Lewis is not garbage. He is deffinitely 1 of the better SS in this league. His stats don't lie. Before making such a bold statement you should go look at his stats for the past 3 years.
Lewis is better

lewis is garbage? lol your garbage watch a game before you start making ignorant comments.
  • lynwood49ers
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GoreForMore:
Lewis is better

lewis is garbage? lol your garbage watch a game before you start making ignorant comments.

yea im ignorant the guy has made one pro bowl and that was with the eagles. he is one hit away from retirement and yea ive seen his stats and i can bet anything Mays can duplicate or even better his stats.Mays is an upgrade to Lewis...and i wnt call u garbage cause talking s**t to u on a forum is just stupid...
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
LOL Myron Lewis in the 4th and beyond > Wasting a 1st or 2nd on Taylor.

Originally posted by genus49:
Taylor Mays is an athlete...not a football player.

On occasion athletes become decent football players...on rare occasion. I'd rather draft football players who are athletic.

This. Mays is a linebacker...if he's lucky.
Everything is relevent, you could be a great player but go to the wrong team and go to the wrong team and you are not as good. Good to avg player but a team knows how to use you and you can be a great player. We've all seen it.

Example-Joe Montana was a perfect match for the niners and vice versa, but what if he played with the aints of yestayear.

Same can be said of Steve Young. Mays is not a great player that can go anywhere and be a superstar on his own accord like a Berry, but with the right team who knows what he can accomplish, but for the niners scheme-no

Though someone mentioned linebacker-he'd need at least 10 pounds more and learn to wrap up better, could be useful as a pass rusher/blitzer. Though this would be a project that the niners don't need. (I hate niner projects).
Lewis has never been good in coverage....that's why they dumped him in philly(plus the injuries). I'm not saying Mays is any better because he hasn't had a chance to prove it yet but he certainly is faster and more agile than Lewis.
Mays is better in pass coverage, but that's not saying much. At this point in Lewis' career, he's pretty much an undersized linebacker.
Mays is better NOW only because Lewis is about 60 years old, and recently injured!
Share 49ersWebzone