There are 65 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Wheels Fall Off the Spiller Bandwagon (And Possibly the Dez Express)

Originally posted by nickbradley:

Spillophiles are in mourning of the Ginn trade.

I think this is great news because we can now focus on our top three needs with our three Top 50 picks: Offensive Tackle, Cornerback, and Pass Rusher
But does this mean that Dez Bryant is no longer an option as well? I think it does, unless the 49ers have no interest in Ginn playing WR as well at KR/PR.

We could still draft Bryant and cut Brandon Jones. Bryant, Morgan, and Ginn would all have to compete for playing time. If Bryant emerges as a star, Morgan would be kicked inside and become a perma slot receiver.

What the trade will do to our draft board is almost assure that we take an OT and defensive back at 13 and 17. My Guess: Haden at 13 and Davis at 17.

I like the 1st part, we need to focus on getting players in the draft that can play immediately and help at need positions. We need a OT, CB and a passrusher or a NT if the franchise doesn't think AB will sign long term in the first 2 rounds.

After that we can start drafting guys to be backup RB's or WR's to compete for a roster spot or ILB's and crap like that. Our needs are pretty obvious and I'm very happy that we wrapped one up today by getting Ted Ginn Jr for peanuts. This guy is a very good RS and has alot of potential at WR. Can't wait till the draft!
Originally posted by matt49er:

I think this is great news because we can now focus on our top three needs with our three Top 50 picks: Offensive Tackle, Cornerback, and Pass Rusher
But does this mean that Dez Bryant is no longer an option as well? I think it does, unless the 49ers have no interest in Ginn playing WR as well at KR/PR.

We could still draft Bryant and cut Brandon Jones. Bryant, Morgan, and Ginn would all have to compete for playing time. If Bryant emerges as a star, Morgan would be kicked inside and become a perma slot receiver.

What the trade will do to our draft board is almost assure that we take an OT and defensive back at 13 and 17. My Guess: Haden at 13 and Davis at 17.

I like the 1st part, we need to focus on getting players in the draft that can play immediately and help at need positions. We need a OT, CB and a passrusher or a NT if the franchise doesn't think AB will sign long term in the first 2 rounds.

After that we can start drafting guys to be backup RB's or WR's to compete for a roster spot or ILB's and crap like that. Our needs are pretty obvious and I'm very happy that we wrapped one up today by getting Ted Ginn Jr for peanuts. This guy is a very good RS and has alot of potential at WR. Can't wait till the draft!

I don't like the idea of drafting a NT; Franklin is sticking around for 2011 whether he likes it or not (franchise tag). If we have to tag him again, we can take a NT next year.

I don't like the idea of drafting a NT; Franklin is sticking around for 2011 whether he likes it or not (franchise tag). If we have to tag him again, we can take a NT next year.

Tagging a franchise player a second year in a row means an automatic 20% pay increase, which would make him by far the highest paid DT in the league, that's a pretty steep price. From the business side of the ball, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Originally posted by Niners23:

Tagging a franchise player a second year in a row means an automatic 20% pay increase, which would make him by far the highest paid DT in the league, that's a pretty steep price. From the business side of the ball, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

So you start over from scratch and burn a 1st rounder? And as you know, NTs are not very good until they're in their late 20s -- they take a long time to mature.
I still think we need a better 2nd RB than Glen Coffee.
Were still.........

not gonna lie I was really hoping for spiller is the 1st of best in the 2nd... now I dont know. I'm a man without a favorite draft pick...
Originally posted by sactomkiii:
not gonna lie I was really hoping for spiller is the 1st of best in the 2nd... now I dont know. I'm a man without a favorite draft pick...

Here's how I see it after sleeping on it. Are we really going to not draft a RB because we got a 4th WR for a 5th round pick? Were not going to change the top of the draft board because we got Ginn.
Originally posted by Niners23:

So you start over from scratch and burn a 1st rounder? And as you know, NTs are not very good until they're in their late 20s -- they take a long time to mature.

I believe the reason 3-4 NT didn't develop as quickly before was due to the lack of 3-4 teams, so it was more of a niche role. Now, a ton of NFL teams are running the 3-4, so I expect NT to be getting to an elite level much earlier in their careers. Taking an NT this year would allow him to sit and learn for a year behind Franklin, and maybe start to get a few reps in, it's not a bad proposition honestly.

Obviously it depends on who's the BPA, but Williams is arguably the best 3-4 NT in this group, and I think he's better than Raji coming out last year, and Raji was taken 8th overall.
I dont think Ginn trade changes anything...
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Can you imagine in a passing down the combination of:
1) Davis
2) Ginn
3) Spiller
4) Morgan
5) Hill

That is a LOT of speed and size running down the field.

Substitute Crabtree for Morgan or Hill and you've got yourself a deal. I think the matchups against Davis, Ginn, Spiller and Hill/Morgan create opportunities for a sure-handed Crabtree and YAC. If I'm a defensive coordinator, I'm more concerned with this receiver combo than yours.
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Apr 17, 2010 at 11:25 AM ]
If we wanted Spiller before, it had a lot more to do with his RB skill than his return skills. Having 2 return men isn't bad either.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I agree, I think it'll be Haden and Davis.
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5118276

"Spillers outta the game, spillers outta the game, spillers outta the game...."

Hilarious!!! Boy is fast!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home