LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 201 users in the forums

Would you draft Clausen?

Would you draft Clausen?

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Clausen will slip to 13 and we'll take him.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
I don't get some of you guys. I certainly remember another quarterback that we took out of Notre Dame that was pretty darn good and his name was JOE MONTEGNA.

There was also a time when we had 2 quarterbacks on our roster that took us all the way to a little thing called THE SUPERBALL.

So, if you're thinking we can't have 2 good quarterbacks on the team at the same time then that's not a good reason not to draft Clausen. It's simple. If you grade him higher than Smith, then you take him. If you think about it, Clausen's experience in a pro style offense is the total antithesis of Smith's experience. He should be able to start early on without the steep learning curve that Smith dealt with. Also, I have nothing against Smith but he really hasn't done enough not to have his position on the team challenged. Further, having Smith is actually a good thing cuz it lets Clausen sit for a time and actually learn the offense. Something Smith never got to do. Lastly, we still have the pick at 17 to spend on an OT. Good chance Davis or Iupati will be available. We also have a 2nd rounder to grab a guard if we want. The offensive line can still have a strong upgrade.

I hope this helps
Originally posted by Walsh:
I don't get some of you guys. I certainly remember another quarterback that we took out of Notre Dame that was pretty darn good and his name was JOE MONTEGNA.

There was also a time when we had 2 quarterbacks on our roster that took us all the way to a little thing called THE SUPERBALL.

So, if you're thinking we can't have 2 good quarterbacks on the team at the same time then that's not a good reason not to draft Clausen. It's simple. If you grade him higher than Smith, then you take him. If you think about it, Clausen's experience in a pro style offense is the total antithesis of Smith's experience. He should be able to start early on without the steep learning curve that Smith dealt with. Also, I have nothing against Smith but he really hasn't done enough not to have his position on the team challenged. Further, having Smith is actually a good thing cuz it lets Clausen sit for a time and actually learn the offense. Something Smith never got to do. Lastly, we still have the pick at 17 to spend on an OT. Good chance Davis or Iupati will be available. We also have a 2nd rounder to grab a guard if we want. The offensive line can still have a strong upgrade.

I hope this helps

I'm pretty sure we did t have a bottom 5 OL when that happened last year
I have linked to two must-read articles on Clausen from WalterFootball.com. One is a 'Tale of the Tape' between Bradford and Clausen, while the other is entitled "Jimmy Clausen is an Alien Wizard", a South Park reference; the bottom line of the latter article is that hatred of Clausen is irrational and stupid, and that he should be the #1 over all pick.

If this guy would be the #1 overall pick if it weren't for disinformation about him, and we have a chance to land him at 13 or 17, I don't see how we pass on him.

http://walterfootball.com/jimmyclausensambradford.php

http://walterfootball.com/jimmyclausenhate.php
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
and I will post one pic that over rides your two links

Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

Well, isn't that precious...

Looks like someone is ready for the Castro District...
Can't open these links at work, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that an article titled "Jimmy Clausen is an Alien Wizard" isn't going to change my mind on him - wouldn't HATE having him on the team, but definitely prefer going another direction this year.
I still say that getting him would be fine with me. Alex hasn't done ANYTHING to make us think he's going to lead us to better than 8-8. Like MM said, we can't be shortsighted. We need to think about more than just THIS year.

Originally posted by Leathaface:
I still say that getting him would be fine with me. Alex hasn't done ANYTHING to make us think he's going to lead us to better than 8-8. Like MM said, we can't be shortsighted. We need to think about more than just THIS year.

Smith is an enigma -- flashes of looking great, looks timid and inaccurate at other times.

If we draft Clausen and Smtih plays well, there's nothign that says we keep both.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Smith is an enigma -- flashes of looking great, looks timid and inaccurate at other times.

If we draft Clausen and Smtih plays well, there's nothign that says we keep both.

SanDiego set themselfs up nicly a couple of years back by selecting another QB when they had Brees.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

SanDiego set themselfs up nicly a couple of years back by selecting another QB when they had Brees.

Exactly. and to add to that look at what they got for Charlie Whitehurst. I'm not for Clausen but I can understand if they did it and I won't be mad. Seems the thing about Clausen is some guys thinks he's confident and others feels he's overly arrogant and they don't like him That seems to be the big difference in why McShay doesn't like him at all and Kiper likes him just as much as he likes Bradford.
[ Edited by lamontb on Apr 22, 2010 at 7:45 AM ]
Originally posted by ninertico:

Well, isn't that precious...

Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Exactly. and to add to that look at what they got for Charlie Whitehurst. I'm not for Clausen but I can understand if they did it and I won't be mad. Seems the thing about Clausen is some guys thinks he's confident and others feels he's overly arrogant and they don't like him That seems to be the big difference in why McShay doesn't like him at all and Kiper likes him just as much as he likes Bradford.

Actually, Kiper and others think Clausen is BETTER than Bradford.
Share 49ersWebzone