LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 341 users in the forums

3rd and 4th round picks

• 49niners21
  • Info N/A
CB/KR/PR Perrish Cox 3rd round pick
WR/KR/PR Jordan Shipley 4th round pick

let them battle for PR and KR.
I cant see us loosing in this we need a nickel or dime back and a better third WR
I'd be fine with those.... some others that would possibly be good 3rd/4th round picks...

CBs - Cox, Spivey, Franks, Cook, AOA...
G - Asomoah, John Jerry
C - Matt Tennant/JD Walton
S - Stuckey, Rolle,
LB - Brandon Spikes, Koa Misi, Jason Worilds
T - Fox, Calloway, Veldheer, Tony Washington
NT - Linval Joseph, Torrel Troup
TEs - Should be a good group left like Graham, Dickson, Dickerson, McCoy, Pitta, etc
WR- Shipley, Price, Ford, Decker

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 6, 2010 at 07:20:23 ]
Some folks think that PR and KR are two different skill sets:

Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh has a big background in special teams.

What’s he want to see out of a prospective returner?

"Punt and kickoff return are completely different. In punt return, the bottom line is he’s got to be a natural catcher. So catching a punt is a unique thing. If they can’t catch, you can forget about it. Kick return is a little easier to catch, but some of these guys struggle to catch kicks. To me, a kick returner has to be a north-south runner. He’s got to have a burst of acceleration and/or power, and he’s got to have vision. It’s usually more of a running back-type guy who can read the hole and cut off blocks. Punt return is a guy that can catch the ball naturally, has great body control and he can do two things at once. He’s got to be able to catch the ball and feel the pressure around him. Make the guy miss, whether it’s make or miss with the body control to slip through there, or be able to change speed and change angles."

So you might need two guys, anyway, to do it right. It would be interesting to hear what Schottenheimer thinks about this.
Originally posted by Yetiman:

"Punt and kickoff return are completely different. In punt return, the bottom line is he’s got to be a natural catcher. So catching a punt is a unique thing. If they can’t catch, you can forget about it. Kick return is a little easier to catch, but some of these guys struggle to catch kicks. To me, a kick returner has to be a north-south runner. He’s got to have a burst of acceleration and/or power, and he’s got to have vision. It’s usually more of a running back-type guy who can read the hole and cut off blocks. Punt return is a guy that can catch the ball naturally, has great body control and he can do two things at once. He’s got to be able to catch the ball and feel the pressure around him. Make the guy miss, whether it’s make or miss with the body control to slip through there, or be able to change speed and change angles."

So you might need two guys, anyway, to do it right. It would be interesting to hear what Schottenheimer thinks about this.

As much as we are saying we need a KR/PR I think we are fine at KR. Sure I would like a guy that could take it to the house but as of now Walker/Morgan are probably averaging 23-25 per return and we end up around the 25 so it's not bad. The 1 yard average per punt return with fumbles left and right is what is killing us. Agreed, though... too different skill sets but a lot of guys can do both but PR is obviously harder.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Yetiman:

As much as we are saying we need a KR/PR I think we are fine at KR. Sure I would like a guy that could take it to the house but as of now Walker/Morgan are probably averaging 23-25 per return and we end up around the 25 so it's not bad. The 1 yard average per punt return with fumbles left and right is what is killing us. Agreed, though... too different skill sets but a lot of guys can do both but PR is obviously harder.

Morgan should not be returning kickoffs. The man is a starting receiver.
Originally posted by 49niners21:

I cant see us loosing in this we need a nickel or dime back and a better third WR

Why use both your 3rd and 4th round picks when you can just take Brandon Banks in the 5th or 6th and be done with it?
Banks and Cox seem to be primarily kick returners, while Shipley is more of a punt returner. Not saying they can't do both jobs, just that each is much better at just one task rather than both.

Plug in their names here for applicable stats: http://statsheet.com/cfb/players
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by 49niners21:

Why use both your 3rd and 4th round picks when you can just take Brandon Banks in the 5th or 6th and be done with it?

True but like he said they are offering more than their KR/PR skills. We could use a 3rd-4th CB and an upgrade at WR as well.

As far as someone mentioning Morgan not returning kicks. I don't know why Walker doesn't do it. However, Morgan isn't that great of a receiver that he can't do that as well... it's not like if the Cardinals put Boldin in as KR.
Share 49ersWebzone