1b. Earl Thomas FS
2. Trade for Jared Gaither OT
3. Mike Johnson OG
4. Brandon Spikes ILB
5. Jacoby Ford WR
6a. Colin Peek TE
6b. Ekom Udofia NT
7. Arthur Moats OLB

We completely solidify our secondary and offensive line. We get the heir to Takeo Spikes with his cousin. We improve our return game with Haden and Ford. We get our blocking tight end. And in the last two rounds we add depth to our pass rush and get a decent backup behind Franklin.
Ford wont last till the 5th and I highly doubt Spikes is still around in the 4th.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Ford wont last till the 5th and I highly doubt Spikes is still around in the 4th.
Spikes' 40 was slower than Trent Williams. I think he falls to the fourth because he clearly can't be a MIKE LB. Ford I agree probably won't be there. But his lack of size and poor receiving skills could lead him to slide.
Originally posted by Draftology:
Spikes' 40 was slower than Trent Williams. I think he falls to the fourth because he clearly can't be a MIKE LB. Ford I agree probably won't be there. But his lack of size and poor receiving skills could lead him to slide.

Spikes did pretty well at UF, he may fall but he wont fall that far. What makes you think Ford has poor receiving skills?
i can't see them taking 2 secondary players in the 1st round. They will take one or the other I think if Thomas slips to 13 the Eagles will come calling. Fall back to there pick and scoop one of there 2 2nd round picks.
The Niners will not use BOTH high first rounder on DBs, IMO. And I don't believe that it would be wise for them to do so, either.

I don't think that their value chart would be empty of other players the team could use, do you?
Originally posted by lamontb:
i can't see them taking 2 secondary players in the 1st round. They will take one or the other I think if Thomas slips to 13 the Eagles will come calling. Fall back to there pick and scoop one of there 2 2nd round picks.

as much as I would like another 2nd, I would be pissed if we pass on a chance of getting a ball hawking FS like Thomas

I like the draft, as much as 2 DB's sounds bad...it will take care of one of our biggest holes in our Defense. The more I see the Gaither trade for our 2nd the more I like it.

Spikes did pretty well at UF, he may fall but he wont fall that far. What makes you think Ford has poor receiving skills?
The fact that he is one of the most gifted athletes in this draft, but he has average production. He runs sloppy routes and does not have reliable hands. He is a 3rd WR at best but he could be an excellent kick returner. As for Spikes, his stock was falling before that 40 time. He was a mid-second round pick heading into the combine, and left a late 3rd, early 4th. Teams are not willing to spend a high pick on a guy who can only play the TED who is just supposed to take on blockers to free up the MIKE
Originally posted by irishluder:

as much as I would like another 2nd, I would be pissed if we pass on a chance of getting a ball hawking FS like Thomas

I like the draft, as much as 2 DB's sounds bad...it will take care of one of our biggest holes in our Defense. The more I see the Gaither trade for our 2nd the more I like it.

I'm wary of the Gaither trade. Is he damaged goods? Why would the Ravens let him go so cheap otherwise?

I really think the Niners are eyeing a DB in the first, and it would be great to get both a CB and a FS--then pick up an OT in the second.

Why not go with Jerry in the second? He'd prolly be there, is a mauler, and can play both OG and OT.

It like the way you address some needs, even some that are not the obvious ones (OL).
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by irishluder:

I'm wary of the Gaither trade. Is he damaged goods? Why would the Ravens let him go so cheap otherwise?

I really think the Niners are eyeing a DB in the first, and it would be great to get both a CB and a FS--then pick up an OT in the second.

Why not go with Jerry in the second? He'd prolly be there, is a mauler, and can play both OG and OT.

It like the way you address some needs, even some that are not the obvious ones (OL).

To be honest Gaither is just an average OT So if you can get a 3rd for a guy that was un drafted that would be a major come up for the Ravens. Plus Oher can easily replace him. Gaither is still developing and good become great or become very average at best. His footwork is super slow. 3rd for Gaither, I would go for it but not a 2nd. Just got to evaluate him and see if solari thinks he can work wiht Gaither.

The fact that he is one of the most gifted athletes in this draft, but he has average production. He runs sloppy routes and does not have reliable hands. He is a 3rd WR at best but he could be an excellent kick returner. As for Spikes, his stock was falling before that 40 time. He was a mid-second round pick heading into the combine, and left a late 3rd, early 4th. Teams are not willing to spend a high pick on a guy who can only play the TED who is just supposed to take on blockers to free up the MIKE

On the contrary he was noted numerous times at the Senior Bowl for running very good routes.

Hands: Generally looks the ball into his hands to make the secure reception. Has a tendency to allow the ball to get into his chest and will drop a catchable passes on occasion. Can snatch the ball outside of his frame and has improved adjusting to poorly-thrown passes. Good toughness to maintain control despite taking a big hit. Good hand-eye coordination and balance to track the ball over either shoulder. Intangibles: Has the physical tools to develop into a better pro than collegiate receiver. Well-built athlete with a football player's physique -- as opposed to that of a track star -- who shows the willingness to run through traffic.

Regarding Spikes....just wait, until he ran that 40 people had very little issues with him. Somebody will bite in the 2nd to early 3rd.

On the contrary he was noted numerous times at the Senior Bowl for running very good routes.

Hands: Generally looks the ball into his hands to make the secure reception. Has a tendency to allow the ball to get into his chest and will drop a catchable passes on occasion. Can snatch the ball outside of his frame and has improved adjusting to poorly-thrown passes. Good toughness to maintain control despite taking a big hit. Good hand-eye coordination and balance to track the ball over either shoulder. Intangibles: Has the physical tools to develop into a better pro than collegiate receiver. Well-built athlete with a football player's physique -- as opposed to that of a track star -- who shows the willingness to run through traffic.

Regarding Spikes....just wait, until he ran that 40 people had very little issues with him. Somebody will bite in the 2nd to early 3rd.
That sounds like a very thorough scouting report of Ford and you could be right. The scouting reports I've read are very different regarding his route running and hands. And his lack of elite production with his physical skills leads me to believe that there is a major problem regarding his skills as a receiver. I'm just saying that there are enough problems with him for him to possibly fall to the 5th round.
Spikes is the opposite. He has good production but his physical tools are a concern. He doesn't have the sideline to sideline speed to be a 4-3 MLB and there are more 4-3 teams in the league than 3-4. I counted 14 3-4 teams and those are the only ones who will target Spikes. He was surrounded by elite talent at Florida that could hide his lack of speed. I think there is a major possibility that he could fall to us in the fourth.
There is a very good chance that these guys could both be gone before the spots I have the niners picking them, but I did name this a Somewhat Realistic Draft Scenario for a reason

That sounds like a very thorough scouting report of Ford and you could be right. The scouting reports I've read are very different regarding his route running and hands. And his lack of elite production with his physical skills leads me to believe that there is a major problem regarding his skills as a receiver. I'm just saying that there are enough problems with him for him to possibly fall to the 5th round.
Spikes is the opposite. He has good production but his physical tools are a concern. He doesn't have the sideline to sideline speed to be a 4-3 MLB and there are more 4-3 teams in the league than 3-4. I counted 14 3-4 teams and those are the only ones who will target Spikes. He was surrounded by elite talent at Florida that could hide his lack of speed. I think there is a major possibility that he could fall to us in the fourth.
There is a very good chance that these guys could both be gone before the spots I have the niners picking them, but I did name this a Somewhat Realistic Draft Scenario for a reason

If Spikes get's past Oakland in the 2nd I have a weird feeling he could end up in NE..... Considering your analysis of why he shined in UF, NE would be a good fit.