Going into this mock, I thought the McNabb trade would hurt the 49ers plans to draft and OT, similar to what the front page article said this morning (http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/04/mcnabb-trade-to-redskins-might-have-impact-on-49ers-draft.html).
But as it turns out, it works out pretty well for us. With Washington NOT taking a QB, Clausen falls to CLE at #7; and as a result, Earl Thomas falls out of the Top 10 and buffalo takes a NT instead of Anthony Davis.
** I do think there's a good chance somebody will trade up to #5 for Clausen and blow this whole mock up. **
We take Earl Thomas as BPA, and Anthony Davis at #17. I really do feel that Earl Thomas will be a better FREE Safety than Berry...although Berry can play SS as well (makes him a better overall value at S). Thomas would step in at FS right away and Goldson would shift to SS, which I think he is better suited for.
And what can I say about Davis? Some people hate him on this board, but the fact is that as long as the 49ers can motivate him, he will be a star in this league (granted, a big 'if')...he doesn't have any other weaknessed that cause OTs to bust: short arms, poor leverage, bad footwork, etc. And I am fairly confident that Singletary & Co. can motivate him.
For the 2nd round pick, I would love to see the 49ers find a way to get Jahvid Best -- moving up 10 - 12 spots in the 2nd round would cost us a 4th rounder. Either way, we need somebody with the ability to return punts.
1. STL - Bradford - Rams take a franchise QB
2. DET - Okung - Lions make the smart move and protect Stafford instead of going for Suh
3. TB - Suh - biggest need, BPA
4. WAS - Bulaga - Biggest need -- WAS gets an OT; With McNabb now in WAS, they won't draft Clausen.
5. KC - Berry - toughest spot in the top 10; they REALLY need an OT, but TWO are already off the board. Berry is BPA
6. SEA - McCoy (DT) - no-brainer BPA
7. CLE - Clausen - VERY happy he fell this far.
8. OAK - Williams (OT) - Major need at OT, best OT remaining as well. Williams also did very well at the combine, which Al likes.
9. BUF - Williams (NT) - The Bills need major help at NT and OT; Williams is the better choice here over Anthony Davis
10. JAX - Derrick Morgan - They need a pass-rusher, and Morgan is perfect for the 4-3
11. DEN - McClain - Major need AND BPA
12. MIA - Jason Pierre-Paul; with both pass-rushers gone, this is their biggest need
13. SF - Earl Thomas - Flying up the draft boards; more and more mocks have him here; I think he'll be better than Berry and Goldson will be a better SS than FS.
14. SEA - Spiller - Best Player available.
15. NYG - Joe Haden - Giants need to beef up the secondary, and Haden is also the best player available.
16. TEN - Kyle Wilson - Major, major playmaker who also fills a big hole; they would love Derrick Morgan, but he's already gone
17. SF - Anthony Davis - Singletary checked him out, and his work ethic is not a concern. If Smith can go #6 last year, with much worse problems, Davis is an incredible value here. As long as the 49ers can keep him focused, which I think Singletary can do, he is a steal