LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 284 users in the forums

My First Post-McNabb Trade Mock (Thomas & Davis)

Going into this mock, I thought the McNabb trade would hurt the 49ers plans to draft and OT, similar to what the front page article said this morning (http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/04/mcnabb-trade-to-redskins-might-have-impact-on-49ers-draft.html).

But as it turns out, it works out pretty well for us. With Washington NOT taking a QB, Clausen falls to CLE at #7; and as a result, Earl Thomas falls out of the Top 10 and buffalo takes a NT instead of Anthony Davis.

** I do think there's a good chance somebody will trade up to #5 for Clausen and blow this whole mock up. **

We take Earl Thomas as BPA, and Anthony Davis at #17. I really do feel that Earl Thomas will be a better FREE Safety than Berry...although Berry can play SS as well (makes him a better overall value at S). Thomas would step in at FS right away and Goldson would shift to SS, which I think he is better suited for.

And what can I say about Davis? Some people hate him on this board, but the fact is that as long as the 49ers can motivate him, he will be a star in this league (granted, a big 'if')...he doesn't have any other weaknessed that cause OTs to bust: short arms, poor leverage, bad footwork, etc. And I am fairly confident that Singletary & Co. can motivate him.

For the 2nd round pick, I would love to see the 49ers find a way to get Jahvid Best -- moving up 10 - 12 spots in the 2nd round would cost us a 4th rounder. Either way, we need somebody with the ability to return punts.

1. STL - Bradford - Rams take a franchise QB
2. DET - Okung - Lions make the smart move and protect Stafford instead of going for Suh
3. TB - Suh - biggest need, BPA
4. WAS - Bulaga - Biggest need -- WAS gets an OT; With McNabb now in WAS, they won't draft Clausen.
5. KC - Berry - toughest spot in the top 10; they REALLY need an OT, but TWO are already off the board. Berry is BPA
6. SEA - McCoy (DT) - no-brainer BPA
7. CLE - Clausen - VERY happy he fell this far.
8. OAK - Williams (OT) - Major need at OT, best OT remaining as well. Williams also did very well at the combine, which Al likes.
9. BUF - Williams (NT) - The Bills need major help at NT and OT; Williams is the better choice here over Anthony Davis
10. JAX - Derrick Morgan - They need a pass-rusher, and Morgan is perfect for the 4-3
11. DEN - McClain - Major need AND BPA
12. MIA - Jason Pierre-Paul; with both pass-rushers gone, this is their biggest need
13. SF - Earl Thomas - Flying up the draft boards; more and more mocks have him here; I think he'll be better than Berry and Goldson will be a better SS than FS.
14. SEA - Spiller - Best Player available.
15. NYG - Joe Haden - Giants need to beef up the secondary, and Haden is also the best player available.
16. TEN - Kyle Wilson - Major, major playmaker who also fills a big hole; they would love Derrick Morgan, but he's already gone
17. SF - Anthony Davis - Singletary checked him out, and his work ethic is not a concern. If Smith can go #6 last year, with much worse problems, Davis is an incredible value here. As long as the 49ers can keep him focused, which I think Singletary can do, he is a steal
I wouldn't agree with us taking Thomas over Haden. Take a safety later on, Corners are far too valuable in the NFL today.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
I wouldn't agree with us taking Thomas over Haden. Take a safety later on, Corners are far too valuable in the NFL today.

There is not way Oakland takes Trent Williams, his 40 time is not the fastest of the OT's. Also I would take Haden or spiller over earl thomas.
I think Washington would take Williams over Buluga or whatever his name is.

Maybe Charlie Weis can convince the chiefs to take Claussen
Originally posted by 9erred:

There is not way Oakland takes Trent Williams, his 40 time is not the fastest of the OT's. Also I would take Haden or spiller over earl thomas.

You're crazy dude. Williams ran a 'blazing' 4.88, compared to 4.85 for Campbell, a man who can't really play the position that well.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

Right after throwing big money at Matt Cassel?

I like Haden too, but I think that Thomas is the best FREE Safety in the class (Berry is a better overall S). Thomas' ballskills are second-to-none.

John Clayton speculated that could happen this morning, and I thought it was absurd. The only way it can happen is if Cassel gets shipped away for a 3rd or something.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

I like Haden too, but I think that Thomas is the best FREE Safety in the class (Berry is a better overall S). Thomas' ballskills are second-to-none.

I agree but my point is that the best Corner is more valuable than the best safety, just a difference in philosophy. I wouldn't be pissed but I'd be sad to see Haden slip away.

I agree but my point is that the best Corner is more valuable than the best safety, just a difference in philosophy. I wouldn't be pissed but I'd be sad to see Haden slip away.

So you feel that Haden is a better prospect than Wilson? A month ago, I thought Haden was a much better prospect, but lately I've felt that Wilson has closed the gap. Wilson also returns punts...very well.

John Clayton speculated that could happen this morning, and I thought it was absurd. The only way it can happen is if Cassel gets shipped away for a 3rd or something.

i know i stole his idea and was trying to play it off as mine.

maybe the bills or raiders are desperate now that they lost out on Mcnabb.

I doubt it will happen but its an interesting option

We aint going to touch Haden & Thomas can play a little CB. He did at Texas he would play up on the line a lot.

So you feel that Haden is a better prospect than Wilson? A month ago, I thought Haden was a much better prospect, but lately I've felt that Wilson has closed the gap. Wilson also returns punts...very well.

Haden also returns punts but I'm not sure how well. Yes, I do feel that Haden is a better prospect. He's only been playing the position for two years and he's already arguably the best corner in the draft. If you give him a year to learn from Clements and Spencer, two very technically sound corners, he has the potential to be special. Wilson is a very good player, but I think the 49ers take a player who had success in the SEC over a player who had success at Boise.
Going into this mock, I thought the McNabb trade would hurt the 49ers plans to draft and OT, similar to what the front page article said this morning (http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/04/mcnabb-trade-to-redskins-might-have-impact-on-49ers-draft.html).

But as it turns out, it works out pretty well for us. With Washington NOT taking a QB, Clausen falls to CLE at #7; and as a result, Earl Thomas falls out of the Top 10 and buffalo takes a NT instead of Anthony Davis.

** I do think there's a good chance somebody will trade up to #5 for Clausen and blow this whole mock up. **

We take Earl Thomas as BPA, and Anthony Davis at #17. I really do feel that Earl Thomas will be a better FREE Safety than Berry...although Berry can play SS as well (makes him a better overall value at S). Thomas would step in at FS right away and Goldson would shift to SS, which I think he is better suited for.

And what can I say about Davis? Some people hate him on this board, but the fact is that as long as the 49ers can motivate him, he will be a star in this league (granted, a big 'if')...he doesn't have any other weaknessed that cause OTs to bust: short arms, poor leverage, bad footwork, etc. And I am fairly confident that Singletary & Co. can motivate him.

For the 2nd round pick, I would love to see the 49ers find a way to get Jahvid Best -- moving up 10 - 12 spots in the 2nd round would cost us a 4th rounder. Either way, we need somebody with the ability to return punts.

2. DET - Okung - Lions make the smart move and protect Stafford instead of going for Suh
4. WAS - Bulaga - Biggest need -- WAS gets an OT; With McNabb now in WAS, they won't draft Clausen.
5. KC - Berry - toughest spot in the top 10; they REALLY need an OT, but TWO are already off the board. Berry is BPA
8. OAK - Williams (OT) - Major need at OT, best OT remaining as well. Williams also did very well at the combine, which Al likes.
9. BUF - Williams (NT) - The Bills need major help at NT and OT; Williams is the better choice here over Anthony Davis
10. JAX - Derrick Morgan - They need a pass-rusher, and Morgan is perfect for the 4-3
12. MIA - Jason Pierre-Paul; with both pass-rushers gone, this is their biggest need
13. SF - Earl Thomas - Flying up the draft boards; more and more mocks have him here; I think he'll be better than Berry and Goldson will be a better SS than FS.
15. NYG - Joe Haden - Giants need to beef up the secondary, and Haden is also the best player available.
16. TEN - Kyle Wilson - Major, major playmaker who also fills a big hole; they would love Derrick Morgan, but he's already gone
17. SF - Anthony Davis - Singletary checked him out, and his work ethic is not a concern. If Smith can go #6 last year, with much worse problems, Davis is an incredible value here. As long as the 49ers can keep him focused, which I think Singletary can do, he is a steal

What do you mean he falls out of the top ten? Nobody has him getting drafted no earlier than maybe the 15th pick!! To be honest with you, I don't really won't him on my team. A second round safety has more value to us than Thomas. I would take Spiller at 13 then trade our 17th pick with anyone looking to trade up and take Brown from USC with that pick!!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinersFo6:

What do you mean he falls out of the top ten? Nobody has him getting drafted no earlier than maybe the 15th pick!! To be honest with you, I don't really won't him on my team. A second round safety has more value to us than Thomas. I would take Spiller at 13 then trade our 17th pick with anyone looking to trade up and take Brown from USC with that pick!!

Would be sweet if we could pick up an extra 2nd round pick doing that trade
Share 49ersWebzone