LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

49erswebzone collaborative big board: #2

49erswebzone collaborative big board: #2

Who do you want to be #2 on the 49ers big board? In other words, if the 49ers were choosing #2, and Ndamukong Suh was already taken, who would you want them to choose? (If you want to vote for a player that doesn't appear in the poll, just write them in a post and I will put them in the poll.) The final count for the poll will be taken tonight at 12:00 PST.
has to be okung
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
has to be okung

Has to be McCoy, he is the 2nd best player in this class. Should the board be ranked by BPA not by need ?
Originally posted by KRS-1:
has to be okung

Has to be McCoy, he is the 2nd best player in this class. Should the board be ranked by BPA not by need ?

gerald mccoy isnt flexable to play 3-4 DE and is too small to play NT he wouldnt be BPA in a 3-4 defense
has to be okung

It should be ranked by a mixture of both need and BPA. That is why each teams big boards look different, because they all have different needs.
McCoy hands down.

The top two have been Suh/McCoy in most draftniks and draft sites' boards and not based on need. McCoy over Okung easy, but hey, that is why we have a vote, huh?
has to be okung

in a 4-3 i think mccoy is clearly the 2nd best player in the draft but in a 3-4 he would play de. de's in 3-4 schemes don't have very much value plus i don't think he would be a good fit in a 3-4 because he is a penetrator and our d-linemen are asked to just take up blockers and let the lb's make the plays. #2 should be okung
Originally posted by Draftology:
has to be okung

in a 4-3 i think mccoy is clearly the 2nd best player in the draft but in a 3-4 he would play de. de's in 3-4 schemes don't have very much value plus i don't think he would be a good fit in a 3-4 because he is a penetrator and our d-linemen are asked to just take up blockers and let the lb's make the plays. #2 should be okung

Draftology brings up a good point. This isn't just a general ranking of players, this is a big board specific to only the 49ers team, so when evaluating players we have to rank them according to how well they would play in our specific schemes.

Having said that, I don't know who would be the better player in a 3-4 defense between McCoy and Suh. Anyone else have an opinion on the matter?
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
has to be okung

Draftology brings up a good point. This isn't just a general ranking of players, this is a big board specific to only the 49ers team, so when evaluating players we have to rank them according to how well they would play in our specific schemes.

Having said that, I don't know who would be the better player in a 3-4 defense between McCoy and Suh. Anyone else have an opinion on the matter?

suh should be able to adapt to the 3-4 DE i sont think mccoy can which is why i think mccoy wouldnt be too high on our board

Originally posted by Superbowl09:
has to be okung

i think suh would fit better in a 3-4 because he is a bigger, stronger run defender. mccoy excels, as i said before, penetrating through the line and in his pass rush, making him more valuable, to some, than suh in a 4-3
has to be okung

alot of people said that about Bryant Young too but when he did play 3-4 end he did great ala Justin Smith. I can see McCoy playing that position but he'd be better off playing the Warren Sapp role in tampa.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
has to be okung

alot of people said that about Bryant Young too but when he did play 3-4 end he did great ala Justin Smith. I can see McCoy playing that position but he'd be better off playing the Warren Sapp role in tampa.
I completely agree that he could be successful as a 3-4 DE. He just won't be as successful as Suh and 3-4 DE does not have very much value in the draft. McCoy is an amazing athlete and probably would be successful at almost any position on the d-line. I just don't think he should be #2 on the Niners' board as a 3-4 end.
Looks like Okung is second on our big board. Thanks for all the input.
Share 49ersWebzone