There are 158 users in the forums

Raiders First Rounder

• Sacramento49er
  • Info N/A
ESPN just wrote something about the Raiders being willing to trade their 1st round pick, #8 overall, for a second this year and a first next year. When considering the exodus of underclassmen this year due to the likelihood of a rookie salary cap and hoping expecting to have a pick lower than 8 next year do you think this could be a good idea? With three first rounders this year which has multiple players who could greatly improve the team I think this could be a real possibility to improve the team greatly. Not only that but it would allow us to trade down in order to pick up an interior linemen without reaching and some more picks, say trade the 17 for around 24. Just a thought.
Hmm, I that really is the case then I would not necessarily be opposed to it. The main thing this would do is give us big time ammunition to trade up a little and nab Berry or Okung. Next year's draft will not nearly be as deep as this ones and not to mention the fact that our 1st next year could easily be in the 20's which would definitely make this worth it.

[ Edited by Niners23 on Mar 30, 2010 at 12:12:11 ]
yes please
Wonder why Al would want to do that. Are there any 350 pound qb's scheduled to come out next year?
Oh man, for the right player such as the aforementioned Berry, I would definitely do it. But if I were Baalke I'd wait until draft day to see who is there and then make the call..
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
The problem is that the 49ers may need a first round pick next year if Alex Smith doesn't pan out.
Three first round picks, including one in the top 10, would mean they need to shell out big bucks for contracts and I doubt the Niner brass is feeling that frugal these days.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Oh man, for the right player such as the aforementioned Berry, I would definitely do it. But if I were Baalke I'd wait until draft day to see who is there and then make the call..

You don't have to wait, you can package our 4th rounder and the #8 overall and that would give us enough to move up to #4 or #5 as per the calculator. In almost every scenario that would land us either okung or berry!
Originally posted by scopur49er:
Three first round picks, including one in the top 10, would mean they need to shell out big bucks for contracts and I doubt the Niner brass is feeling that frugal these days.

we can trade #17 with someone.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

we can trade #17 with someone.

Trade the 17th for a mid 20's and later round pick and take Iupati or Hughes.

Originally posted by GEEK:
The problem is that the 49ers may need a first round pick next year if Alex Smith doesn't pan out.

Besides Locker, it seems like a weak class
Wow. I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. And then trade down the 13 or 17 a bit to pick up another 2nd rounder.
Originally posted by Sacramento49er:
ESPN just wrote something about the Raiders being willing to trade their 1st round pick, #8 overall, for a second this year and a first next year. When considering the exodus of underclassmen this year due to the likelihood of a rookie salary cap and hoping expecting to have a pick lower than 8 next year do you think this could be a good idea? With three first rounders this year which has multiple players who could greatly improve the team I think this could be a real possibility to improve the team greatly. Not only that but it would allow us to trade down in order to pick up an interior linemen without reaching and some more picks, say trade the 17 for around 24. Just a thought.

If I was Baalke I would be in Oakland right now meeting face to face with Al to get this deal done.

If the niners had #8, 13 and 17, it would be surreal. I personally think Al is doing this to save cash, anticipating a rookie cap next year.
One thing I'd like to add: if this is really true that the raiders are shoping their pick like this, then it probably means that they're close to finalizing a deal with the eagles which would involve McNabb and their 2nd rounder. This compounded with the fact that they have no first next year could be the reasons they're trying to deal.
Share 49ersWebzone