There are 189 users in the forums

Better Playmaker Pick at 13: Dez Bryant or CJ Spiller

Better Playmaker Pick at 13: Dez Bryant or CJ Spiller

• GORO
  • Veteran
Dez Bryant could get the ball more and has the potential to be the next Andre Johnson type wide out.

C.J. Spiller will be a special back but would probably share the load with someone.
Originally posted by GORO:
Dez Bryant could get the ball more and has the potential to be the next Andre Johnson type wide out.

C.J. Spiller will be a special back but would probably share the load with someone.

IMO dez bryant is more like fitz because he has great hands and a good leaping ability
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by GORO:

IMO dez bryant is more like fitz because he has great hands and a good leaping ability

Either way can you imagine him and Crabtree on our team?
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Give me Spiller. You guys are whining that he'd only see the ball 15 times a game at most, but that's 2-3 times as much as Dez would ever see it with the weapons we have. If we gave Spiller 7-10 carries, or 3-4 receptions, and then KR and PR duty, we're giving an elite athlete who runs fast on the field too the ball a lot of times. We're missing that home run threat. Bryant is a duplicate of Crabtree IMO, except less polished. We don't have a 40 time on the guy, he's only an inch taller, and Crab had better hands/runs better routes. If we were to pick a WR I'd want a freak of an athlete like Demariyus Thomas if he slips to the 2nd(which he probably wont) or a stretch the field type like Golden Tate/Jacoby Ford. Otherwise we could get a guy like Shipley/Decker in the 3rd/4th or find other guys with potential. Spiller is a huge talent, I don't want to see us pass him up.

By that metric (number of touches for a RB vs. a WR), EVERY RB is better than EVERY WR.

thats a great point. that would mean that the RB Arizona had last yr where better then every one of there WR because they touch the ball more.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd go with Bryant, Spiller looks real dinky. I worry about him holding up.
Originally posted by cupcheck:
Spiller- unanimous 1st team ALL-AMERICAN kick returner.
- scored 51 TDs
-He is 1 of only 2 players,[Reggie Bush is the other] in NCAA history to gain 3000yds rushing
-1500 kickoff return
- 1000 recieving
-500 punt return
-8 kickoff returns for TDs
-21 career TDs of 50yds or more
- only player in the nation with a TD in every game in 09", 14 games in a row
-2 TD passes
- 1.46 seconds 10 yd split time of 40 yd dash
Dez Bryant could'nt carry CJ.'s cleates.

he is a 1 year wonder at RB look at his stats other than last year they are not that good not to mention his avg is only 5.5 yds per play i know people will say he split time but do u really want to spend a top 15 pick on a guy who couldnt even be a full time starter in college?

The same could be said about Chris Johnson coming out of college. Johnson averaged roughly 4.0 yard a carry before his final season at ECU and wasn't the feature guy either. That's a mid major too.

If you flashback to a couple of years ago there was Zoners who wanted to jump off a bridge if we drafted CJ.
Spiller - team captain
-Deans list
graduated in 3.5 yrs.
-1st ALL ACC academic
Bryant- dumb a$$
- another TO in the making

no thanks

Spiller is easy the better choice by way of personality and how he did in school
Bryant being suspended i have a big problem with, if he is out of shape for his por day i have a bigger problem.
I don't think they will draft Spiller or Bryant and they both could be gone when they pick at 13. I don't think they have a pressing need at RB or WR in this draft. They really need OL, DB and a Feared pass rusher, pluse a KR/PR. If they can get most of these thing fixed then they should take back up or a 3 headed RB or a great but questionable Wr.
Originally posted by dlance:
Spiller - team captain
-Deans list
graduated in 3.5 yrs.
-1st ALL ACC academic
Bryant- dumb a$$

no thanks

Spiller is easy the better choice by way of personality and how he did in school
Bryant being suspended i have a big problem with, if he is out of shape for his por day i have a bigger problem.
I don't think they will draft Spiller or Bryant and they both could be gone when they pick at 13. I don't think they have a pressing need at RB or WR in this draft. They really need OL, DB and a Feared pass rusher, pluse a KR/PR. If they can get most of these thing fixed then they should take back up or a 3 headed RB or a great but questionable Wr.

Agree on 3/4 of your priorities -- pass rusher is not one (3rd in sacks!).
didnt u guys hear? Smith to Crabtree is the new Montana to Rice. Smith completed FOUR STRAIGHT passes to Crabtree yesterday in OTA's. So we don't need Dez.

[ Edited by SybErkRimInAL on Mar 30, 2010 at 08:56:08 ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
The only negative with drafting Bryant is that it might end up like the Boldin/Fitzgerald situation, where they don't want to have to pay two guys #1 money.

- scored 51 TDs
-He is 1 of only 2 players,[Reggie Bush is the other] in NCAA history to gain 3000yds rushing
-1500 kickoff return
- 1000 recieving
-500 punt return
-2 TD passes

he is a 1 year wonder at RB look at his stats other than last year they are not that good not to mention his avg is only 5.5 yds per play i know people will say he split time but do u really want to spend a top 15 pick on a guy who couldnt even be a full time starter in college?

YES!!!

it would be a waste of his talent and our pick he wont get more than 15 touches a game waste of money and draft pick dez bryabt would be on the field every offensive play would help our whole offense less people in box and us having 3 legit weapons would be huge

I only chose your post because it directly mentions the bold which is absolutely ridiculous given that this kid's forte is scoring TDs.

ANYTIME he gets the ball, he has the skill to do it, just take a look at how many TDs he's scored in his college career. Of those, how many are over 20 yards, 30, 40, 50, even 80?

If out of those 15 touches he gives us an avg of 100 TOTAL yards per game and 1 TD per three games, he's definitely worth it especially give Gore's propensity for injuries. Also, what's it worth to start from an average at the 30-40 yardline as opposed to the 10-20?

All this kid does is score on offense and ST and give great field position to his team.

Hmmmmm....something we need?

Originally posted by mayo63:
The only negative with drafting Bryant is that it might end up like the Boldin/Fitzgerald situation, where they don't want to have to pay two guys #1 money.

Give Dez the exact same contract Crabtree got.
Well I'll be...
Dez Bryant?

You just never know...

"I'm hearing that after checking out Sam Bradford in Norman, Okla. on Monday, Mike Singletary and Trent Baalke are in Lufkin, Texas today to watch Dez Bryant work out."

Originally posted by ninertico:
- scored 51 TDs
-1500 kickoff return
- 1000 recieving
-500 punt return
-2 TD passes

YES!!!

it would be a waste of his talent and our pick he wont get more than 15 touches a game waste of money and draft pick dez bryabt would be on the field every offensive play would help our whole offense less people in box and us having 3 legit weapons would be huge

I only chose your post because it directly mentions the bold which is absolutely ridiculous given that this kid's forte is scoring TDs.

ANYTIME he gets the ball, he has the skill to do it, just take a look at how many TDs he's scored in his college career. Of those, how many are over 20 yards, 30, 40, 50, even 80?

If out of those 15 touches he gives us an avg of 100 TOTAL yards per game and 1 TD per three games, he's definitely worth it especially give Gore's propensity for injuries. Also, what's it worth to start from an average at the 30-40 yardline as opposed to the 10-20?

All this kid does is score on offense and ST and give great field position to his team.

Hmmmmm....something we need?

Dez is stellar in ST as well.

Dez averaged 17.25 yards per punt return in his career, 3 TDs in 25 attempts

CJ Spiller averaged a paltry 6.5 yards per punt return for 1 TD; he averaged 27.72 yards per KR for 7 TDs (a better KR than PR)

So, why the hype for Spiller??? Its in the PR game where we have a problem, not KR (KR is average).
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by dlance:
Spiller - team captain
-Deans list
graduated in 3.5 yrs.
-1st ALL ACC academic
Bryant- dumb a$$

no thanks

Bryant being suspended i have a big problem with, if he is out of shape for his pro day i have a bigger problem.

Agree on 3/4 of your priorities -- pass rusher is not one (3rd in sacks!).

Your right but there is not one guy on the team that on passing down you would say watch out for this guy he is going to get to the QB. they have to double that guy or els. that is what they are missing. Maybe Brook can be that guy ???last yr the Cordinator game planing got them to 3rd in sacks and thats awsome. there missing that D Line / OLB that can just some how can get to the QB. If they can fix the OL and DB this yr I think there going to be very good.

[ Edited by dlance on Mar 30, 2010 at 15:37:36 ]
Share 49ersWebzone