There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners contacted Clausen?

Originally posted by Draftology:
You still aren't picking up on the reason I brought up Bradford's flaws. He has a ton of question marks. So many that in most years, like last year, he wouldn't be the top rated quarterback, but yet almost everyone says he is clearly better than Clausen. And since Clausen does have have a good arm, comes from a pro-style offense, has been a three year starter, and hasn't had the best o-line yet still produced, there must be a major problem, which must be off the field because according to you, he is a great prospect based on his play. The comebacks/killer instincts I am still not bought on. He did it against crappy defenses that he had already been picking apart. And yes, if we picked him, we would be starting over. There would be at least one year where his on the field play would hurt us. It happens to almost every young quarterback, and we are clearly not good enough yet to overcome poor play at quarterback.

Had Bradford declared last year no one would have been talking about his shoulder injuries that occurred this year and he would have been a top 10 selection nonetheless. They might have talked about how he would fare without the OU OL or how well he would transition from a spread offense but someone would have taken him, be it Detroit, Seattle, the NY Jets, Denver via trade up or even us. Again you are making out like he has a thousand and one questions about his abilities which is not true and he is considered one of the top 4 or 5 players in this class. He has just about the same amount of questions like every top 10 QB coming out does. Stafford and Sanchez had a lot of questions about them but both looked like they could possibly be the faces of their respective franchises for 10-15 years in just there rookie years.

While most have Bradford rated above Clausen, those same people have Clausen as a top 10 or 15 pick in this class. I think the reason for the difference is people see Bradford with greater upside than Clausen more than anything. Some of those defenses Clausen led comebacks against (whether the Irish won or lost) were ranked better than you probably realize. Pittsburgh and BC were both top 25 defenses in the nation.

As far as starting over, if Alex proves to not be this guy then that is exactly what we would be doing next year, however if you take Clausen should he be there and Smith fails this year then you have a guy who can learn the offense and probably play a little this year so that next year he would already have a year as a pro under his belt and a good feel for the speed of the game and the offensive system we have in place. If Smith succeeds then you could possibly deal Clausen next offseason to someone who is looking for a possible franchise QB.
I'm not against taking Clausen if he falls. Seriously how many years are they gonna be going through this with Alex Smith. If he fails this year than you already have Clausen with a year under his belt. and if Smith pans out then you can trade Clausen. Having more than one good qb is never a bad thing. Problem is Niners been looking 7 years just to find one.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'm not against taking Clausen if he falls. Seriously how many years are they gonna be going through this with Alex Smith. If he fails this year than you already have Clausen with a year under his belt. and if Smith pans out then you can trade Clausen. Having more than one good qb is never a bad thing. Problem is Niners been looking 7 years just to find one.

Exactly what I have already said. Tthis is why we should strongly consider taking him if he is there at 13, and why we should bring him in for a workout to get a closer look at him.

Problem is Niners have NOT been looking.
Nate Davis is our developmental quarterback. Why would we try to replace Alex when he showed so much upside last season? We should be trying to put him in the best position to succeed. Give him a full year of a solid line and the playmakers we have around him and he will be successful. He has been handled worse than any quarterback I can think of. Finally he is being given a shot to prove himself with legitimate players around him!!!!!! Why would we commit so much bank to Clausen when we have a 25 year old quarterback coming off his best season. Last year Alex was making plays with his arm rather than not making mistakes.
What if Clausen is there at 17 and we cant find any suitors? I for one admittingly havent paid much attention to this kid until recently. Theres an article on ESPN on this guy, and when I read about him the only negative thing i read is that some people dont like him as a person. He did pretty well in Notre Dame running a pro style offense under Weis. He displayed a passion for throwing the football and a commitment to being the best player he can be.

Read this article and watch this video if u can and let me know what you think. I like Alex Smith, and have been a huge supporter but everytime he drops back I get a little nervous. Probably traumatized from the Nolan era.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5064085

I go on the record stating I am not against drafting Clausen at 17, but if we can trade down I support more picks > Clausen
Im not sure if I would be happy or mad drafting Clausen.

Im a Nate Davis fan and like Carr as the back up.

Drafting Clausen would be a cluster f**k of a QB situation
Nate Davis is our developmental quarterback. Why would we try to replace Alex when he showed so much upside last season? We should be trying to put him in the best position to succeed. Give him a full year of a solid line and the playmakers we have around him and he will be successful. He has been handled worse than any quarterback I can think of. Finally he is being given a shot to prove himself with legitimate players around him!!!!!! Why would we commit so much bank to Clausen when we have a 25 year old quarterback coming off his best season. Last year Alex was making plays with his arm rather than not making mistakes.

What if Smith fails this year ? Then what ?
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Then we will see Davis this year and know that we need to draft a qb next year (as a starter or backup, depending on how Davis does).
i think we should not take claussen we need all the picks we can to improve the o line taking claussen with a first round pick just doesnt seem smart to me our team is not complete enough to take back up QBs in forst round we have to take someone that will start for our team.
  • bigfan
  • Info N/A
they are showing his pro day live now at linkage
Originally posted by stever:

Then we will see Davis this year and know that we need to draft a qb next year (as a starter or backup, depending on how Davis does).

We would be more likely to see Carr before Davis.
Originally posted by stever:

We would be more likely to see Carr before Davis.
And I think Carr would give us a better chance to win than Clausen would as a rookie. When he was thrown into the fire as a rookie, he was terrible. The Niners want to win now while the rest of the division is weak. And Nate Davis could compete for a starting job next year.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

Problem is Niners have NOT been looking.

Exactly what I have already said. Tthis is why we should strongly consider taking him if he is there at 13, and why we should bring him in for a workout to get a closer look at him.

If Clausen is there at #13 it should be an easy pick for the Niners, cause he'd be BPA if he falls that far.

Then deal with what to do after TC: cut somebody? Or maybe somebody (Davis or Clausen) develops a physical problem that puts them on IR for the year so the team could keep all 4 QBs.

It would be a nice problem to have. IMHO.