LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Looking back: Was the trade-up for Staley Worth it?

Yes, we have a starting left tackle that has been a quality player. We can't undo the past. Hopefully we get a player in this draft that can compliment Staley and that we will have a quality starting set of Tackles.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
simply put: hell NO

Negro, please.
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tmpluff:
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:
I still remember draft day when they called Kentawn Balmer's name.

I was like

I know we need to give D-Linemen time to develop, but I think most of us are still thinking that!

who?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Yes it was worth it. We had to have an OT in 2007. Everyone remembers who the RT was before Staley . . . right?? Kwame had to go! At that point it would have been retarded for them to assume that they would finish 5-11 in the 2007 season and pass on the deal for that reason.

BTW, the trade in the 2nd round also netted us Indy's 2007 fourth round pick with which we landed Goldson.

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Yes it was worth it. We had to have an OT in 2007. Everyone remembers who the RT was before Staley . . . right?? Kwame had to go! At that point it would have been retarded for them to assume that they would finish 5-11 in the 2007 season and pass on the deal for that reason.

BTW, the trade in the 2nd round also netted us Indy's 2007 fourth round pick with which we landed Goldson.

Good pick, but we also traded away a 4th; we also burned a pick on Jay Moore at the top of the 4th in 2007.
Originally posted by tmpluff:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
In 2007, the 49ers traded their 2008 #1 for Joe Staley at the 28th overall pick. We then traded away our #2 away for the Colts' 2008 #1.

In hindsight, was it worth it?

In 2008, there were five 1st-round OTs selected: Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Branden Albert Gosder Cherilus, and Duane Brown. Of those, Clady is a star but the rest haven't done anything...Staley is better than the other 4.

So from that perspective, it was a bad move if you think we would have taken Clady instead of one of the other 4 tackles.

The 49ers also traded away their 2nd rounder for a 2008 #1, which the Colts used to select OT Tony Ugoh. As a rookie, Ugoh was impressive and it looked like we made an awful choice. However, Ugoh was benched in 2008.

With our 2008 first rounder, we took Kentwan Balmer, a total bust in my opinion.

If we had kept our 2nd rounder in 2007 and forfeited our 2008 #1, the best player available to fill our needs would have been LaMar Woodley...a steal.

But all in all, we ended up with a borderline pro bowl tackle. Not too bad.

Well I don't know. I think IF we would not have traded the Patriots. our 2008 first rounder and just drafted Ugoh. I think That Staley is better. (IMO) (bit we wouldn't have him ) but If we would have had that 2008 first round draft pick. I think we would have gotten Jarod Mayo. which Just Imagine if we had him lining up Next to Willis for the next 10 years WOW.

also (and I just may be a tad biased) I think Staley is better than all 5 of those. Clady doesn't seem to impress me as much as Staley. IMO

You think they would have gone ILB again? Mayo playing the TED, doubtful.
They might have traded back and picked Clady.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
simply put: hell NO

Negro, please.

yeah... why the hell didn't we also trade up for Oher?
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by YorkHater:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
In 2007, the 49ers traded their 2008 #1 for Joe Staley at the 28th overall pick. We then traded away our #2 away for the Colts' 2008 #1.

In hindsight, was it worth it?

In 2008, there were five 1st-round OTs selected: Ryan Clady, Chris Williams, Branden Albert Gosder Cherilus, and Duane Brown. Of those, Clady is a star but the rest haven't done anything...Staley is better than the other 4.

So from that perspective, it was a bad move if you think we would have taken Clady instead of one of the other 4 tackles.

The 49ers also traded away their 2nd rounder for a 2008 #1, which the Colts used to select OT Tony Ugoh. As a rookie, Ugoh was impressive and it looked like we made an awful choice. However, Ugoh was benched in 2008.

With our 2008 first rounder, we took Kentwan Balmer, a total bust in my opinion.

If we had kept our 2nd rounder in 2007 and forfeited our 2008 #1, the best player available to fill our needs would have been LaMar Woodley...a steal.

But all in all, we ended up with a borderline pro bowl tackle. Not too bad.

he has never been close to a pro bowl player and he was badly outplayed by barry sims....not to mention we traded him essentially for the 7th overall pick

You should stop posting until you get a clue.

Get a clue about what you yuppies need to look at on the field production: Staley hasnt done s**t, you lil pricks around here give players accolades when they havent done s**t
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
At the time the trade happened and when we traded to get the Colts 1st the next year i liked the deal.

Remember we were 7-9, then signed Clements and Lewis, Traded for D-Jack (which seemed good AT THE TIME), didnt know Hostler sucked balls and also drafted Willis.

It seemed we were headed for a good year but then it all fell apart and backfired.

Share 49ersWebzone